Composers block...what do you do?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When Richard Feynman was working out his theory of beta particle decay. he would occasionally need time and space to simply sit and think. He would go to a titty bar.

So if it's good enough for a Nobel laureate and the man who publicized the reasons behind the Challenger disaster, it should be good enough for you.

Titty bars all around.

SODDI wrote:When Richard Feynman was working out his theory of beta particle decay. he would occasionally need time and space to simply sit and think. He would go to a titty bar.

So if it's good enough for a Nobel laureate and the man who publicized the reasons behind the Challenger disaster, it should be good enough for you.

Titty bars all around.
I guess woolyloach doesn't get writers block at all then... :hihi:

Sometimes I make a loop out of what I have and then record some random soloing or drum hits over it. And that winds up suggesting something else in terms of where the melody needs to go. And bravo for trying not to fall into the loopz-are-me trap, but a certain amout of repetition is a characteristic of the electronic dance genre. Sometimes it pays to not get too clever. Instead of trying to think of that next chord, put a few random weird noises in and see if that leads you to something.

And if that fails, spend some time working on patches and sound design. It will help you reset the melody/harmony part of your brain.

And BTW Dazzy, don't feel like the Lone Ranger... I'm 54. We probably have a lot of the same '80s influences.

Thanks for all the great replies. One person PM'd me and suggested looking at Ohm Studio. Has anyone had a play with it?

Ohm Studio is a great DAW for online collaborations. Unfortunately, it doesn't have extraordinary composing features. For composing something like Rapid Composer might be better...

I just make a drum beat, then start playing around with synths and samples until I come up with decent 8 bar loop, then build the rest of the tune around that.

do a remix. take it wherever you feel. it may lead you to your own original crations at the end.

cornutt wrote:And BTW Dazzy, don't feel like the Lone Ranger... I'm 54. We probably have a lot of the same '80s influences.
Well, I'd certainly like to hear something you've created!

cornutt wrote:And BTW Dazzy, don't feel like the Lone Ranger... I'm 54. We probably have a lot of the same '80s influences.

Oh you kids... I got 70s influences.

http://ideagenerator.creativitygames.net/

Idea generators can spark an idea...

Dazzyst wrote:Thanks for all the great replies. One person PM'd me and suggested looking at Ohm Studio. Has anyone had a play with it?
It's got a really nice compressor and a built-in irc chat sort of thing. I found it distracting and memory-hogging but that's coming from a single-core user. It's certainly worth trying out for yourself since you get ten projects for free.

My wife ties me up so I can be a struggling artist for an hour or so.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:My wife ties me up so I can be a struggling artist for an hour or so.
Yeah, but you like that, don't you :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Find someone else to work with when you cant come up with anything good by youself ... I did this last year, and it got me writing again in no time. :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”