Which physical object sends random vibrations?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have read this entire thread, and I still don't know what you want. I am not sure you know what you want. You said you want a physical object that sends random vibrations. No such object exists. All objects vibrate as a function of their size, shape and composition. If you want something that generates random vibrations, then you are looking for white noise generator. The problem is that noise will not cause anything particularly metal plate to resonate. In order for something to resonate, you must subject it to a repeating waveform.

If what you are really looking for is "I want the harmonics that appears after you have hit the cymbal with fingernails should sustain forever instead of decaying into silence," then that isn't what you asked for. I don't think there is any physical object that is capable of doing this. You can do it electronically, but that is the only way I know.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

JJBiener wrote:I don't think there is any physical object that is capable of doing this. You can do it electronically, but that is the only way I know.
I can only fake it by feeding white noise into a comb filter with high feedback.

Jedinhopy wrote:
JJBiener wrote:I don't think there is any physical object that is capable of doing this. You can do it electronically, but that is the only way I know.
I can only fake it by feeding white noise into a comb filter with high feedback.
do that then. sorted!

vurt wrote:
Jedinhopy wrote:
do that then. sorted!
I have to set a violin bow in a cogwheel.

is that a euphemism?

Nothing like a Jedinhopy thread to bring in the new year for the forum. :party:
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

JJBiener wrote:I don't think there is any physical object that is capable of doing this.
Impossible.

Jedinhopy wrote:
JJBiener wrote:I don't think there is any physical object that is capable of doing this.
Impossible.
Well, you name one then :P

I think-
look no further than ur computer and loudspeaker.
A cogwheel, even a cam will still make a repeating loop.
If you fret a stringed instrument randomly, you could do it with a servo-
but it is still an random algorithm u would use. The best thing to do is use a computer to experiment with random figure generation and different noise methods, rather than some mechanical lump.

1) Make lots of vodka jelly for that extra wobbly random vibration effect.
2) Feed to a friend who is not a musician.
3) When said friend is then so plastered as to be unable to even lie on the floor without holding on to something for balance, get them to play your cymbal.

Tada - instant random cymbal playing.

It is gonna sound like shite though, so quite why you'd want to do this is another question.

farlukar wrote:
Jedinhopy wrote:
Impossible.
Well, you name one then :P
DMT
... space is the place ...

Nice to see that people are taken seriously even if they aren't... :wink:

I no longer feel like there is any point in seriously responding to this thread. Either the guy is nuts or he's 'trollin or who knows.

So, therefore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhyi4PMUauM
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Jedinhopy wrote:I want the harmonics that appears after you have hit the cymbal with fingernails should sustain forever instead of decaying into silence.[/size]
Have you thought of bowing the cymbal, like a Tibetan singing bowl? Of course, it would have to be an immaculately tuned cymbal so that it would resonate. Most kit cymbals are only good for crashing.

SODDI wrote:
Jedinhopy wrote:I want the harmonics that appears after you have hit the cymbal with fingernails should sustain forever instead of decaying into silence.[/size]
Have you thought of bowing the cymbal, like a Tibetan singing bowl? Of course, it would have to be an immaculately tuned cymbal so that it would resonate. Most kit cymbals are only good for crashing.
I want a violin bow without bow changes.
As if the length of the violin bow was endless. And a machine pushing it forward forever with constant speed.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”