Which physical object sends random vibrations?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

you need to make a horsehair belt maybe,
and run it over pulleys,
one driven and one idle.

nix808 wrote:you need to make a horsehair belt maybe,
and run it over pulleys,
one driven and one idle.
I'd just use a horse.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

The motor engine should be silent.

Jedinhopy wrote:The motor engine should be silent.
A horse! Comes with own motor. Also produces other vibrations like trots, clackity clacks and plops, also neigh and that burbling sound with its lips. Usually random. Will flick its tail at cymbal according to flight of circling horse-fly which is in a chaotic oscillation.

Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Any electronic physical object will make unwanted background hum like motor noise.

If you ever find a way to teach a horse to hum I could find people who will be willing to pay good money to listen to it.

aciddose wrote:Teach a horse to hum.
Enough horsepower.
Last edited by Jedinhopy on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We can use 1/16 of a horse(power) running through a box.
It will be quiet as long as we pull it's hair- sorry Hopy

In all seriousness,
you could use a tiny little motor, they are very quiet and a 9-volt battery. You could set the speed with a little worm box. However- we have our resident electronic engineer right here! How do we make a speed pot for tiny dc motor Mister Dose?
It will be hard to make the belt- maybe we can use some other material than horsehair. The motor can actually be placed inside a noise shielded box, but like I say, it will be quiet.

nix808 wrote:maybe we can use some other material than horsehair.
Nylon hair?

hmm,
not sure. There are so many filament types,
but none seem to readily want to make a belt at first thought.
Joining these lines into a loop seems hard.

There is one substance I know of that would be good.
You get oxy-acetylene or a paint stripper and melt the ends of a line,
stick the melted ends together and you can make a belt as long as u want.
The only size I have seen it in is 10mm diameter filament though.
It's some sort of rubbery stuff.

Maybe a guitar string could be what you draw the belt across?
You could use a pickup then.

Just thinking about the belt, maybe you could just pull one out of an old broken printer.
edit:
I dunno,
u could use a rubber band and a guitar string perhaps?
It seems the design brief you started with isn't fulfilled that well by this.
IMO this area is best explored is software.
If it sounds like fun go for it- and I'd like to help with it here,
if I can be helpful.
edit2:
The software u could accomplish a lot in is not like coding in text. Some interesting ones are SynthEdit, Flowstone and MAX/msp

nix808 wrote:We can use 1/16 of a horse(power) running through a box.
It will be quiet as long as we pull it's hair- sorry Hopy

In all seriousness,
you could use a tiny little motor, they are very quiet and a 9-volt battery. You could set the speed with a little worm box. However- we have our resident electronic engineer right here! How do we make a speed pot for tiny dc motor Mister Dose?
It will be hard to make the belt- maybe we can use some other material than horsehair. The motor can actually be placed inside a noise shielded box, but like I say, it will be quiet.
You'd usually use a stepper but that won't be quiet. If you vary the speed of an AC motor by adjusting the AC frequency and voltage it is to say the least extremely difficult. Usually SCRs are used to pulse the AC, which produces as much or more noise than a stepper.

DC motors can usually be speed adjusted in a narrow range, depending on the type. They'll wear out fast though and you want to use smooth adjustments, nothing like feeding in white noise or it'll burn out.

The main problem is the torque of a dc motor will be heavily influenced by the speed you run it at which makes it very problematic if you need to maintain torque. Usually a transmission is used instead.

I've already pointed out the easiest way to do this: it's called a speaker. Attach whatever you like to the solenoid (speaker coil) and send the control signal you want to it.

Jedinhopy wrote:
JJBiener wrote:I don't think there is any physical object that is capable of doing this.
Impossible.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Another device is the arm which a HD head is attached to.
This would be similar in function to the speaker.

It kinda depends on what motion Jedin requires.
The speaker coil would not be that good if we need rotation.

For betterment of my knowledge-
can I make a voltage divider with a pot for adjustment for a miniature DC motor?
I understand that what I am looking for is a voltage divider.

Depends on the particulars of the motor you use. Often it is possible to simply wire one to a pot and vary the voltage and you'll get variable speed.

whyterabbyt wrote:Image
Inconfrabulable.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”