Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Are you interested in a video tutorial series? In which platform and language? Would you donate?

Vote 1a: Yes, I am interested in a video series
17%
Vote 1b: No, I am not interested
9%
Vote 1c: Fish! (aka: don't know)
4%
Vote 2a: Youtube is my prefered platform
12%
Vote 2b: I won't mind if it's available on the creators page only
6%
Vote 2c: I'd like to download the videos please
7%
Vote 3a: I prefer an english dub
11%
Vote 3b: I prefer the native language of the presenter, english subs (soft or hardcoded)
4%
Vote 3c: Either way is fine with me, as long as there are subtitles
8%
Vote 4a: If there might be a donation drive, I'd like to help support this
7%
Vote 4b: I'm usually against donations - but I'll think about it
7%
Vote 4c: I refuse to donate - give me the content for free, like everyone else!
9%

Total votes : 163
Compyfox
KVRAF

14159 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:20 pm Are you interested in a video tutorial series by "Compyfox"?

For quite a while now, I'm thinking about a video tutorial series as complementary add-on to my Tech-Blog (off-project of my studio page). Especially since pictures say more than thousand words or even a series of images.

I'd love to get some feedback on this. In whether or not this might be of interest to you. Being fully aware that there are already tons of great YouTube videos out there, with excellent content. I just don't know if it would be a waste of time and efforts.

So please... participate with the poll above. You can cast 4 votes. Please use them for one of the available numbers each (example: you can vote for 1a, 2c, 3a, 4a, but it would be nonense to vote for 1c, 2a, 2c and 4c). A change of vote is not possible(!) - so please think this through, and also leave short a comment.

:arrow: The planned format so far:
  • videos will be at least in 720p, mp4 format (Dialup users be warned!)
  • videos are planned to be between 5 to 10 minutes - maybe even longer depending on the topic
  • release will be either as series (within a short time span, example: 4 episodes, spread as bi-weekly release) or generally once a month. There is no set rhythm yet, as I don't know how much time for creation and editing this will need
  • topics might be requestable through my tech-blog and I'll see what I can do (I'm not a sound design wizard, so there probably won't be any "how to create that synth sound from..." videos)
  • early topics will focus on the more rare and technical aspects of audio engineering. I personally think that there are enough "how to use <plugin>" videos out there already.
  • Though if there is interest for a "mix a song" series, and someone approaches me and gives explicit permission to pull that off, I consider it.
  • Interviews with musicians, sound designers and engineers might be an interesting future concept (if possible to pull off)

Additionally:
One thing I'd also set up in parallel, might be a "donation drive" to actually fund this project (don't know if through plain money transfer or PayPal). I'm against monetizing videos and activating commercials (YouTube especially). But I am also going to spend a lot of my sparetime without any payment on this. I use my own gear (nothing sponsored), I migh have sever/transfer fees (Germany plans to limit flatrates!), etc. Unfortunately, I won't apply for the new created "Subbable" payment system to further fund this - unless I have a lot of recouring videos on Youtube (then I only need to be lucky). Though I'm in Germany - so the cut ins are huge! Neither do I know what perks I could create. Which also leaves out possible Kickstarter funding (also see "Worries" below).

But I'd like to share my knowledge in one form or another. So if there might be a donation system in the future, or right form the start... I'd love to hear your opinions about this.

EDIT:
See my personal view on "donations" in the post below: viewtopic.php?p=5618870#p5618870

Worries about this project:
Personally I'm a bit against the data-kraken Google. But it's unfortunately also a very frequently visited video platform. One big issue I'm having with this platform however, is the fact that Germany's "song analysis system" is very picky. The GEMA is sending out strikes and block requests up and down. So I also need musical content and explicit consent to use the audio content, in order to create such a tutorial.

Of course, there is always the following pact:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/contents

But, to my knowledge, this doesn't apply to Germany (actually, not even "Fair use" applies to Germany). Germany is very picky regarding intelecual property - resulting in waves of cease-and-desist orders. Then there is the GEMA (even if it's GEMA free music), etc. So one way to tone this down, would be making the videos available on my own webspace. But I can't guarantee good streaming speed and unlimited bandwidth. And if I get a cease-and-desist regardless - the video need to be removed.

Creating plain written blog entries lies on a whole different ballpark. Screenshots and own created visual content (diagrams, photos) is definitely not a problem. But as soon as audio content comes into play... alarm bells ringing.

Furthermore, with the strict copyright rules in Germany - and strict rules regarding Disclaimers, Legal Notice, etc - that idea might even be dead-on-arrival right from the start. Which really scares me off from such projects (else I would have started a Kickstarter project a couple of months ago already). Of course I could run in "full risk" mode, like a lot of YouTube users. But I'd rather not touch that ground.

Still - I'd love to get feedback on all of this.

There is nothing finished for an immediate release yet (eventually Q2/2014), aside from certain ideas. But maybe I'll find some ways to make this possible until then - with suitable positive repsonse of course.

Thanks for participating.

:arrow: EDIT (21-JAN-2014):
Since this got brought up, I'd like to post some audio example how the voice over would "sound" in terms of used language. Please listen to these old examples, and maybe comment on what language you prefer, and which subtitle.

The first example was recorded in 2008, where I try to read (as fluent as possible - both sloppy reading and editing, it was a test recording after all) an article out of local magazine, about an event that had the focus on Japanese Culture:

German, "Newscaster", mp3, ca 1:51min, 1,85MB

The second recording is a rip out of a screencast I created in the middle of the night for a friendly musician in the US, who was interested in how I work. This is an about 2min snipped in english(!) from 2011. Again, very sloppy, no script, tons of mistakes (a bit of "DEnglish" in there, which does sound more authentic - so to speak) and the setup I used didn't utilize any deesser (which can be clearly heard).

English, "Screencast", MP3, ca 2:19min, 2,6MB, transcoded from AAC

:arrow: EDIT (21-JAN-2014, Afternoon):
The first video test files for possible future DLC (downloadable content), which can ramp up the quality drastically compared to YouTube limitations. Please participate in the test: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=401428

Further information as to why I I need help on this (page 3): viewtopic.php?p=5621256#p5621256
Last edited by Compyfox on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ] | [ Video Project (in the making) ]
foosnark
KVRAF

4101 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:26 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

I'm not a big fan of video tutorials for music production, in general. Maybe I'm just old school, but I'd rather read words (with useful images where... useful) at my own pace than listen to someone reading them. And if I'm trying to follow along with my own music software (or whatever) at the time, that often interferes with the sound from the video player, and there's a lot of awkward flipping back and forth.

But I may not be representative of the internet in general :)
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

9509 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:33 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

Hopefully it won't be as bad as Musotalk which is all about paid (!) advertisement videos for products and rarely has useful how-to videos.

Some years ago I wrote a critical comment about a dubious music management service - it was deleted instantly, then I had an angry email exchange with Non Eric and since then I lost my faith in him completely... :x
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:42 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

@foosnark:
Test form was my initial idea. But for my first tutorial series, I thought videos might be a bit more informative (topic: metering)

@Tricky-Loops:
I don't follow MusoTalk that much, but of course this is a Berlin local "webshow", focused on advertising the latest products. Rest assured however - I won't be paid by companies for the time being. And even if that might happen, I try to tone down the sponsoring. Think more like "Pensado's Into the Lair", "RecordingRevolution" (which now goes into "pay for my awesome course" direction - like those ripoff diet/sports videos) and "RealHomeRecording" on Youtube.

EDIT:
And again - keep in mind. If you cast your vote - you can seletct up to 4 points (no chance to change that later though)! But either selection is fine with me. :tu:
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ] | [ Video Project (in the making) ]
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

Postby Tricky-Loops; Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:52 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

Compyfox wrote:@Tricky-Loops:
I don't follow MusoTalk that much, but of course this is a Berlin local "webshow", focused on advertising the latest products. Rest assured however - I won't be paid by companies for the time being. And even if that might happen, I try to tone down the sponsoring. Think more like "Pensado's Into the Lair", "RecordingRevolution" (which now goes into "pay for my awesome course" direction - like those ripoff diet/sports videos) and "RealHomeRecording" on Youtube.
Pensado's Place is a great thing, especially the interviews. But I was pretty disappointed from MusoTalk & Hans-Jörg Bordin because there were only advertisement videos for products, trainings and services. Like "We show you 5 minutes of the 60-minute tutorial for Cubase, you can buy it here..." and so on...

Or this dubious music management service where a woman claimed she could make the artists famous just by sending out emails to radios etc... :nutter:

I had similar problems with Delamar where I had a dispute with Carlos about his guerilla marketing methods... :x

(but the tutorials at Delamar are still good, IMO)
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:19 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

I've actually seen great interviews and reviews on Musotalk. Granted, very limited to what was already officially known. But one of the rare German exceptions.

Anyway... what in your opinion would be the right way to pull something like that off? You probably also know the video series by FMNxMusic, which is unfortunately also a bit biased and the Gain Staging video was full of issues. But, aside from a certian overuse of the UAD platform and Cubase only tricks, these videos are okay.

And it might be too short to say from just the current votes. But I see a certain tendency towards "online through creators page" and "videos with subtitles". The latter being a load more work, but I could speak in my native language (German) and not accidentally insult anyone with an accent. :hihi:
Delfinoverde
Banned

Postby Delfinoverde; Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:22 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

From time to time i like to watch video-tuts, one can learn new things or re-discover older stuff. Musotalk isn't that bad but unfortunately they don't present audio plug-ins nor show special tricks, also they tend to be very fuzzy. The audio quality during their video-conferences can be very bad sometimes. Pensado's Place is well done i.m.o. Beneath you can see examples of how tutorials can be made good & interesting. I have no problems with different languages. For an audio-tutorial i just would expect a good sound & movie quality, higher than the mainstream YouTube quality. Regarding the use of musical content on your clips you could ask here for getting music & permissions.

I can recommend these channels (Spanish/English) @
http://www.youtube.com/user/AlbertoDDLeon?feature=watch
http://www.youtube.com/user/recmixmas?feature=watch

Good luck! :tu:

.........................................................................................................................
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:55 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

Actually, I have a similar concept planned like the AlbertoDDLeon channel. Switching between talking to the camera, to host view, etc. Though I won't use a ducking compressor to put my voice over on top. Still thanks for the links.

I also just checked the statistics.

So far the tendency is to "go for it", the platform doesn't matter to the current voting participants, but the message is clearly "I won't donate anything - it has to be free!".

:arrow: Let me set one thing straight:

By "donation", I don't mean a system where the videos are locked out of public access and you need to pay "first" in order to access them. My idea of donation, or "sponsoring" is to futher fund my work.

I understand the comment of "why should I pay for something, if I can get it for free". But unfortunately... that doesn't work this way. Popular channels on Youtube, that offer tutorials these days, are backed by advertising and monetizing the content (even channels like AllTime10s and VSauce!). Or are backed by a huge company (a so called "channel"). So they get their income not from plain views (which doesn't give you any money at all - read the YT rules), but from hotlinked commercials and other means that Joe Normalguy can't access.

If I'd put my tutorials on either YT or my own page, there won't be any advertisement unless I get a sponsor (which will be named at some point in the video - see as example: The Fine Brothers, MentalFloss, ). I am against the commercial concept of Youtube, and people disable it with AdBlockers anyway. So I basically would work for free, for you (the readers/the video followers), out of my sparetime, with my own gear.

:?: "But fine sir, you already post free content on the web - here on KVR even - why should we pay you now/consider a donation?"

A very good and valid question. However...

Writing on KVR (which I'm posting almost exclusively), or my own blog is a completely different thing. If I do not use screenshots, but rely on plain written description how to do things, I basically only loose the time I invest in terms of "writing" and correcting (even with a plugin like "AfterTheDeadline").

If I create a PDF, complete with layouting, spell check, images, source list, etc... that is taking a load more work. Which is why my current white paper is still not really update ready. Same with a fully layouted blog post (with screenshots). As former freelance writer for a Japanese cultural related magazine, I picket up a thing or two and got used to put a lot of detail into such things - to keep the readers interested. And the access logs of my page and KVR posts do not lie - careful content creation is paying off.

Now imagine me creating a video tutorial, at the same quality as some of my KVR posts, or even my white paper on the K-System v2 concept. There need to be a script, the script needs to be in an understandable language (thought of doing this in English). Then there is the actual video content (host recording, camera recordings, image implementation, etc), the syncing and editing of the same (which takes a while - even with certain experience in that area). Then (re)recording a voice over, creating and syncing subtitles (desired! So if the videos are in English, the German audience wants German subs - and vice versa), authoring into the proper format so that everyone can enjoy this (Win/Mac/Linux, portable devices, etc), upload it to a webserver. This ultimately takes up a whole lot more time. A video with only about 5-10 minutes, but spiked full with interesting concept/screenshots/edits, can take up to a week of editing, especially if it needs to stay interesting and not just one camera angle with jump-cuts and then call it "news".

Last time I created a video for a fellow musician, with about 10minutes length and no further concept behind it, it took me only 10 minutes to record. But actually about 3-4 hours to properly edit on top of it, plus upload time. If I write a post on KVR, that's between a couple of seconds (on the fly answering) to about 30-90 minutes (in-depth answers / extreme rage mode).

I do not have any ghost writer, I am my own editor. Which is the very same reason my homepage is standing still for almost over 2 years now.

:!: So my question goes out to those that voted for a definite "no - I won't donate":
What (in your opinion) must to be done in order to financially support such a project.
What do you people expect from such a project?
What do you think must be taken care of in order to be successful?

The sooner I know, the more I can learn, the better I can put it into action.
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

Postby Tricky-Loops; Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:05 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

Keep in mind that it's advertisement FOR YOU, too. If your videos are made good (as well as their content), your work will be noticed by other studios/companies etc. and you might get more orders or even a job in a studio...

So even if nobody would donate anything, it would help you for your career.
vurt
addled muppet weed

33873 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:49 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

do you think you have something to offer that isnt already out there?

who are you? other than posting on forums what are your credentials?

people wont offer to pay for your time unless they know they will get something back.
if you do good work, then maybe people would reconsider their votes.

just some thoughts i had while reading your words above :)
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:57 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

The videos are indeed planned as "extended arm" of my general online portfolio (meaning: my studio page), Tricky-Loops. So that is already taken into consideration (complete with show name, logo watermark, etc).

The thing is... until it might pay off through other means... I have to cover the financial aspect aspect of things all by myself. And again, I'm against linking advertisements - should I go with YT.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong?
Or I'm just not "known enough" yet, as vurt rightfully pointed out.
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

Postby Tricky-Loops; Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:18 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by "Compyf

Imagine you'd open a café in Berlin. You'd have to pay all the things yourself, too, until the café pays off and you make profit. You cannot make an announcement "I'll open a café. Please send me donations..." Of course you could but your chances to get donations would be low...

Rupert Brown started his DSP Project with a few videos, too, some years ago:

http://thedspproject.com
chk071
KVRAF

13867 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:25 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

Tricky-Loops wrote:Hopefully it won't be as bad as Musotalk which is all about paid (!) advertisement videos for products and rarely has useful how-to videos.

Alternatively the guy could pay the production of his videos, the server costs, and the guys doing tutorials from him out of his own pocket, just for our entertainment. ;) Apart from that, the guy is actually FROM the industry, afaik he used to work for Steinberg and Waldorf. Oh, and the Cubase tutorials from Holger Steinbrink are absolutely top notch btw. No wonder, as he's doing Cubase workshops for a living. And again, the guy is doing those workshops on Musotalk for free, of course advertising for his paid workshop DVD's and his site, and of course that way advertising Cubase. And that's all the magic really. I can't see anything bad in it. I don't rely 100% on a review in Computer Music or Beat mag also, as i know it's a hand in hand of the press and the industry, if you want so. Most of the shows on Musotalk are really entertaining and informative imo.
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:33 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by "Compyf

What about the counter argument with "Crowd Funding" prior to opening a shop, or releasing something (whatever it might be), Tricky-Loops? Where you take the risk (as funder) to back up something, but you don't even know if this might work, or you might get your share from it (pledge drive/perks). But it seems to be all the rage as of late.

Unfortunately... for this particular concept, it's a bit moot for a large scale one-time payment. It'd be nice to pay off on the long run - if possible! Hence the voluntary donation option.

But I think I catch the wind with "as long as you don't have a name, or are already a part of a video network - it's down to your own risk. And even then, wait and see".

I only wanted to gather some feedback on this.
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

Postby Tricky-Loops; Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:35 pm Re: Are you interested in a video tutorial series by me?

chk071 wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:Hopefully it won't be as bad as Musotalk which is all about paid (!) advertisement videos for products and rarely has useful how-to videos.

Alternatively the guy could pay the production of his videos, the server costs, and the guys doing tutorials from him out of his own pocket, just for our entertainment. ;) Apart from that, the guy is actually FROM the industry, afaik he used to work for Steinberg and Waldorf. Oh, and the Cubase tutorials from Holger Steinbrink are absolutely top notch btw. No wonder, as he's doing Cubase workshops for a living. And again, the guy is doing those workshops on Musotalk for free, of course advertising for his paid workshop DVD's and his site, and of course that way advertising Cubase. And that's all the magic really. I can't see anything bad in it. I don't rely 100% on a review in Computer Music or Beat mag also, as i know it's a hand in hand of the press and the industry if you want so. Most of the shows on Musotalk are really entertaining and informative imo.
As I've said, there was an advertisement video (called "interview") with a young pretty woman who made music promotion and for their PAID "service" musicians had to write their texts and post everything on her homepage themselves and she would send these infos to radios etc. And I said "If I have to write all my texts, emails and bio etc. myself, then I can SEND the emails myself, too" and wrote a critical comment which was deleted instantly because he didn't wanted to have bad press about this woman.

That's why I broke with Hans-Jörg Bordin alias "Non Eric"... Either something is clearly labeled as advertisement or as interview - but to sell an advertisement as "interview" is fraud.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)