Is outstanding musical talent related to intelligence?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What kind of question is that? Do some research.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

No.

aciddose wrote:IQ isn't related to genius, in fact IQ is related directly to how far one will go in terms of higher education
Directly?
I havent done much research beyond my own experience, and Im a lil afraid to post because I assume that aciddose probably knows what he is talking about, but my experience with high-IQs does not align with that at all.
But I agree that it is related to obsessive behavior. No doubt. 'Convenient' obsessions can be the mark of genius, while others are the mark of madness.
ImageImageImageImage

There isn't any guarantee that you'll get a higher eduction because of a higher IQ. If you're from a poor family, you can have a high IQ but won't get the needed support & money for higher education.

Tricky-Loops wrote:There isn't any guarantee that you'll get a higher eduction because of a higher IQ. If you're from a poor family, you can have a high IQ but won't get the needed support & money for higher education.
I was thinking he meant how successful one could be in saying 'how far one will go'. Like, access issues aside.
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:There isn't any guarantee that you'll get a higher eduction because of a higher IQ. If you're from a poor family, you can have a high IQ but won't get the needed support & money for higher education.
I was thinking he meant how successful one could be in saying 'how far one will go'. Like, access issues aside.
A higher IQ isn't a key to success. There are many jobless academic people and other people with high IQ (yes, there are non-academic people with high IQ!) in all parts of the world... :help:

Yep, thats what I was saying.
ImageImageImageImage

The thing correlated is academic achievement. We're not looking on a case-by-case basis here, but if you take everyone on earth who has a doctorate of some sort and average out their IQ, we find it is significantly higher than the total population without those sorts of degrees.

You can also get way, way more detail if you care to read individual papers on the subject.

High IQ is also directly correlated with higher job performance, inversely correlated with religious belief and fertility rates and various other interesting correlations are very well known and extensively studied.

Things not correlated with IQ:

- Success
- Income
- Fame

Etc...
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

aciddose wrote:What kind of question is that? Do some research.
To my experience intelligence does not need to have anything to say for success in higher education. There is people in the lower range of average IQ score (on standard neuropsychological tests) who does great in higher education as well as people with high IQ who does not make it in higher education. Of that reason I ask.

stillshaded wrote:It's important to remember that there are basically discrete types of intelligence.

http://www.intropsych.com/ch02_human_ne ... gence.html

So, saying "are intelligence and musical skill related?" is kind of like saying "are romantic comedies and movies related?"

Musicality is a type of intelligence.

Not to sound arrogant, but.. Did anyone look at my post? It pretty much answers the question in an objective way.

aciddose wrote:The thing correlated is academic achievement. We're not looking on a case-by-case basis here, but if you take everyone on earth who has a doctorate of some sort and average out their IQ, we find it is significantly higher than the total population without those sorts of degrees.

You can also get way, way more detail if you care to read individual papers on the subject.

High IQ is also directly correlated with higher job performance, inversely correlated with religious belief and fertility rates and various other interesting correlations are very well known and extensively studied.

Things not correlated with IQ:

- Success
- Income
- Fame

Etc...
A correlation does not say to much in itself. Many things can be correlated by coincidence. So the details are needed, both for direction (if they say that high IQ may influence academic achievement, if they say that academic achievement may influence IQ or both) and with respect to all other possible factors that may influence both IQ and academic achievement.

stillshaded wrote:
stillshaded wrote:It's important to remember that there are basically discrete types of intelligence.

So, saying "are intelligence and musical skill related?" is kind of like saying "are romantic comedies and movies related?"

Not to sound arrogant, but.. Did anyone look at my post? It pretty much answers the question in an objective way.
It answer the question from one possible point of view. Unfortunately not everyone in the world agree with this view, and as such there is still much research on intelligence being done.

I'm not sure what the point of repeating yourself over and over in an argumentative manner is when hundreds of studies have been conducted in detail relating to this topic.

Regardless of the concrete cause, or more importantly without care for it as it is ultimately useless to anyone to worry about this (other than yourself, for whatever reason? Lack of an ability to distinguish abstract from concrete?) we know for a fact that high IQ correlates highly with academic achievement, and likewise negatively with religion and fertility.

You might say that it is not that intelligence decreases fertility, but that intelligence increases motivations which reduce fertility by moderation of the actions of an individual due to that individual's awareness of the consequences of ones action. Why does this matter though? This sort of thing is obvious. Did someone say "intelligence causes academic achievement" ? No.

stillshaded wrote:

I agree, having said the same thing earlier.

I think the notion of 'IQ' having meaning in terms of life is kind of absurd. IQ testing can determine certain parameters, but human beings would tend to test differently depending on how sharp they are that day. There are probably aspects of 'genius' in say music that are not really going to be detected from every IQ test that's out there. It's another cart pulling the horse kind of argument, isn't it.

the assertion was made that a person 'with a higher IQ' *will* go further; now, I get the figure of speech to mean the potential to go further, but success materially in life happens to people that aren't really very bright all the time. There has to be a quotient of 'well-adjusted' socially and it may well be that 'more intelligent by far than the peer group' (quantified by testing or not), for certain personalities became a problem!
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IQ/Intelligence = Map/Terrain

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”