Long interview/discussion on electronic music creativity!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, they don't have to be at odds. I find sounds inspiring in themselves, as well. There's an additional factor, though: as a musician, you can always decide how much effort you put into communicating something to an audience. You don't have to, mind you, but it's a decision to make. It's just like talking in a way: if you really want someone to understand what you're saying, you're going to have to put some effort into understanding how they communicate and then try to adapt to that - speak their language, not yours. To a point, of course.
The "indie" mentality is usually at odds with this, but sometimes to a fault: if you're going to put music out there, you probably want to be heard (except for those that just want to piss others off).
Which brings me to my point: good music will usually connect with a listener, whether it's played on a ukulele or done in the box with tons of interesting sound effects and sounds. And you also mentioned Amon Tobin, who is a good case in point: the newer albums tend to lean towards sound, and away from music. I still "get" it (and the sound design is awe-inspiring at times), but I also prefer his earlier stuff (and haven't quite decided on Two Fingers).
Inspiration is great, no matter where it comes from, be it heartbreak, a wonderful Diva patch, or a can rolling down the street. I'm just wary of getting lost in sound, because it hasn't been the "safest" form of inspiration for me. No supersaw in the world will save a bad song.

Ah, glad I'm not the only one who prefers Tobin's earlier stuff. It was more arrangement driven. That said, I haven't checked out his super recent stuff, so I probably should.

Good point about good music transcending instrumentation. This even works for artists like Squarepusher and Aphex Twin, who make music using and abusing the "gimmicks" of computers, and yet their good stuff can translate very well to an orchestra or whatever.

At the end of the day, musicianship exists outside of the computer and it's myriad options. But in a world of automated song building and layers of removal from the source, are people forgetting that?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I like Amon Tobin's early stuff (Permutation/Supermodified), but also I'm in love with ISAM. There's some good music in there actually, it's not just a sound design freakout.

I have the Two Fingers instrumental album, and it's good but it doesn't really shine IMHO.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”