Talk me into (or out of) cloud storage for backup

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At the moment I have two 1TB HDD's. I backup to one, and then duplicate this on the other. One drive comes to work with me and the other stays home. It works, but it's a bit of a faff if I'm honest.

Surely it would be easier and more secure if I just back the lot up to to somewhere in the aether. But.... What if that company goes bust, then in the words of Tommy and Turkish I'm proper f*cked.

a) Anything else I've not considered; and
b) Who do you recommend in the UK?

TIA
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Do you keep the two drives in separate locations? What if there's some kind of accident that physically destroys both?

If you go with one of the major companies (Google, Dropbox, etc.) you're less likely to find them go out of business. The main risk of data loss would be not paying your bill for the storage.

robojam wrote:Do you keep the two drives in separate locations? What if there's some kind of accident that physically destroys both?

If you go with one of the major companies (Google, Dropbox, etc.) you're less likely to find them go out of business. The main risk of data loss would be not paying your bill for the storage.
Thanks robo. I did mention in the OP one drive stays at home and the other goes to work with me and stays there until its backup time again ;)

Yes ok Google it could be. TBH my research thus far and pointed me to many sites I don't trust much, hence the seeking of reassurances here.

Guess I didn't read it carefully first time... :oops:

I back up a bunch of stuff on cloud storage and it also helps with keeping it in sync between devices and being able to access it from anywhere.

Imagine your house is burning. Then it won't help you if you have all your data back-upped on a different HD. So it's much safer if the data is somewhere in the world on a cloud server.

robojam wrote:Guess I didn't read it carefully first time... :oops:

I back up a bunch of stuff on cloud storage and it also helps with keeping it in sync between devices and being able to access it from anywhere.
Thanks mate. The fact this notion hasn't been shot down here is good enough for me.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Imagine your house is burning. Then it won't help you if you have all your data back-upped on a different HD. So it's much safer if the data is somewhere in the world on a cloud server.
Then I'd plug in the HDD that's safely stored at the office ;)

Skydrive is super slow

arkmabat wrote:Skydrive is super slow
Haven't had good experiences with Skydrive myself either.

This is something I have been considering for a while too.

Any info on JustCloud, they offer unlimited storage?
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Check the company's data confidentiality policies thoroughly. What would happen in the event that the company is taken over by a new owner? Make sure that nobody else has access to your account details. It might sound obvious, but there can be implications if other people can access your account.

That's why I would rather go for one of the big companies that is unlikely to go out of business or be more likely to the the buyer in an acquisition (or at least to retain the brand name and product lines if they are acquired)

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:Imagine your house is burning. Then it won't help you if you have all your data back-upped on a different HD. So it's much safer if the data is somewhere in the world on a cloud server.
Then I'd plug in the HDD that's safely stored at the office ;)

but what if the uk gets nuked and you survive as a mutant zombie?
wouldnt you want to listen to your old tracks to remember what it was like to be human?

What if it starts raining?
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

The clouds in these parts have certainly lost their capacity for storage recently.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”