Which are toys and which are tools?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Flandersh wrote:From a philosophical point of view I understand toy in relation to art and tool in relation to science. This imply that products with the mean of being part of the creative process toward a work of art would be toys, wherease products with the mean of following scientifical standards/recommendations (like the ITU-R BS.1770 or the equal-tempered scale) would be tools.

what about lego?

vurt wrote: what about lego?
Good point :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

One of my favorite Queen songs is the Prophet Song which at the beginning Brian May plays a toy Koto :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote:
Flandersh wrote:From a philosophical point of view I understand toy in relation to art and tool in relation to science. This imply that products with the mean of being part of the creative process toward a work of art would be toys, wherease products with the mean of following scientifical standards/recommendations (like the ITU-R BS.1770 or the equal-tempered scale) would be tools.

what about lego?
A good question. As it is used as a tool, it must be regarded as a tool. But it is nothing that prevents a tool to be used as a toy.

When I was a kid I had a tool kit but I now know that they were in fact toys.

Easy answer...

Propellerheads Reason = toy. ;)

:P
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Are they mutually exclusive? After all they are only words.

+1, i'm a philosophy student and can only agree to this statement.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”