"Going out of business" the new marketing trick?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote:
UncleAge wrote:
VitaminD wrote:
Hink wrote:just curious...who would buy software from a company going out of business? It seems to me that's not a very good idea, no support, no future development so at best it's a temporary thing :shrug:
You raise a very important thought to consider.
How much support is needed for samples?
that's a fair point, I have to admit I did not search on the companies names nor do I know the companies that CableChannel mentioned...:shrug:

In fact I bought a Cymbals Kontakt instrument from 9VA which does synced cymbal rolls and chokes. Sometimes when playing live, for every other roll not the release sample but a choke sample is triggered. Very strange behaviour. That would be an example of a support question, which I figured I couln't ask anymore because 9VA is out of business.

CableChannel wrote:Is it just a cheap marketing trick? Or a trick to get rid of customer service obligations?
It's a play to trigger our inbuilt hoarding response.

Any news about shortages, things ending, final sale, etc, and we hoard

Man, I wish I had hoarded Billy beer back in '79 when it still was available :( :wink: :clown: :D

Numanoid wrote:
CableChannel wrote:Is it just a cheap marketing trick? Or a trick to get rid of customer service obligations?

Man, I wish I had hoarded Billy beer back in '79 when it still was available :( :wink: :clown: :D
I'm going to be ill :hihi: Though I think Lone Star is still worse than Billy Beer ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I wouldn't drink beer from 1979, it tastes terrible. I'd rather prefer wine from 1979...

CableChannel wrote:I heard Prodyon did it repeatedly, now Nine Volt Audio. Big "out of business" sale, then reopening the business (possibly under a new name).

Is it just a cheap marketing trick? Or a trick to get rid of customer service obligations?

I am not implying or suggesting anything, just asking questions.
I bought the Prodyon stuff when he went out of business, so to speak. I think I actually felt sorry for him. Guess I better use it now.

UncleAge wrote:Sometimes it's a bit messy to break up a partnership. Closing down the business can be a way out if there is no other amicable way.
That's a definite issue in some cases - My father had a business he had to sell in '01 because his partner was an a-hole. It was either sell it to a third party (and split the profit) or dissolve the business entirely because the name/llc etc was all in both their names.
I don't know if 9va has a parallel story, but that was a partnership, wasn't it.
Closing out and reopening under a new name/organization is definitely good to try for a fresh start, like having a garage sale after a spring cleaning can have a cleaning effect on your mindset.

Bathrobe wrote:It´s not new. At least a couple of thousands years old.
Think of oriental carpets.
For years, there were several oriental rug stores in my area that were perpetually "going out of business" or "lost our lease." This went on for years, and, AFAIK, they all did a booming business.

Then, finally, one of them actually DID go out of business (owner died) and no one believed it.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

3rdFloorSound wrote:
UncleAge wrote:Sometimes it's a bit messy to break up a partnership. Closing down the business can be a way out if there is no other amicable way.
That's a definite issue in some cases - My father had a business he had to sell in '01 because his partner was an a-hole. It was either sell it to a third party (and split the profit) or dissolve the business entirely because the name/llc etc was all in both their names.
Ah, the old "don't want to fire the lead singer so we'll all quit then start a new band without him" trick.

Tricky-Loops wrote:I wouldn't drink beer from 1979, it tastes terrible. I'd rather prefer wine from 1979...
That's just pure weirdness :? :P :D

Next you're gonna say you could drink Whiskey from the 70's but not beer :o
Last edited by Numanoid on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DSmolken wrote:Ah, the old "don't want to fire the lead singer so we'll all quit then start a new band without him" trick.
Robert Smith did that with The Cure, but only to fire all other members, not himself

Hink wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

I'm going to be ill :hihi: Though I think Lone Star is still worse than Billy Beer ;)
Lone star made, for a short time, some weird speciality beer that was even more horrid than plain Lone Star. I see it's off the market now...
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

DSmolken wrote:
3rdFloorSound wrote:
Ah, the old "don't want to fire the lead singer so we'll all quit then start a new band without him" trick.
Hah, well in my father's case it was to go into a completely new line of work out of disgust and sever all ties with with the guy.

Musical Gym wrote:
CableChannel wrote:I heard Prodyon did it repeatedly, now Nine Volt Audio. Big "out of business" sale, then reopening the business (possibly under a new name).

Is it just a cheap marketing trick? Or a trick to get rid of customer service obligations?

I am not implying or suggesting anything, just asking questions.
I bought the Prodyon stuff when he went out of business, so to speak. I think I actually felt sorry for him. Guess I better use it now.
Prodyon's "out of business" mail included the following sentence: "You as an existing customer will still get e-mail support in case of problems, questions or crucial bugs!".

As a "Plug-In for Life" customer, I was also happy to see that I automatically got my access to all plugins back when Prodyon came back, also to the new plugins.

IMHO the temporary closing was handled very well.

[sorry double posting] :)

DSmolken wrote: Ah, the old "don't want to fire the lead singer so we'll all quit then start a new band without him" trick.
As documented in the Ben Folds Five song "Army".

ON a related note, at a previous job I worked with a contractor who was somewhat of a conspiracy nut. The management and most of his coworkers had concerns that he might go postal. They ended up laying off all the contractors and bringing just about everyone but him back two weeks later.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”