An EP with 10 tracks = $3673 earnings but...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GaryG wrote:Isn't an EP with ten tracks, like, an album?

Maybe i'm getting old but an Ep was ~4 tracks in my day... :)
Yup. Same as in my day. But the "E" in "EP" stands for "extended," and apparently someone figured that 10 was quite extended. :hihi:

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Oh man, people who think slapping Ozone on the master-bus equals 'being able to do mastering' :roll:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

I think World of Warcraft players call this grinding? Or is it levelling?

Not to be too hard on the guy, but just because a track is top of Beatport doesn't really guarantee anything. Basically, until you're massive and in demand, touring for what is basically costs sounds about right. Just ask any punk band who toured Europe in a shitty van this year how much money they made.

This blog post by a friend, where he recalls a gig in Ireland, is a fun read:

http://thesenseless.wordpress.com/2014/ ... o-ireland/

He tells a good story, and it's kinda related to the OP.
... space is the place ...

Meanwhile we got Aviccimxllvi living in a house that cost more money than most people will see in their life. And he can't even operate or pay for his gear properly.

Then on the other end of the spectrum there's Squarepusher, who (so the story goes) didn't even bother checking his bank account when his first album blew up, and lost a load of money because he didn't/doesn't care about it.

My dream, and I know it's not likely but it's a dream, is just to eventually make enough money to not have to work full time, to just "get by" and be known as someone that fought for creativity in an age of homogenization and a war on individuality. Chances are, I'll probably need to get a lucky break in game music or some other kind of "sensible" job for that to happen, though.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Aloysius wrote:You need special (golden) ears, years of experience
That is kind of a contradiction, as hearing will deteriorate with age
Medline wrote:There is no known single cause of age-related hearing loss. Most commonly, it is caused by changes in the inner ear that occur as you grow older. Your genes and loud noise (such as from rock concerts or music headphones) may play a large role.

crimsonwarlock wrote:Oh man, people who think slapping Ozone on the master-bus equals 'being able to do mastering' :roll:
It's a start, not an end. It will help make tracks louder which is probably what most artists wants anyway right? :D

It would be the same mistake to think that just giving a track to a pro master guy and then Bob's yer uncle. Depending on which music you make a certain touch is needed, which maybe not every pro master guy can deliver.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Not to be too hard on the guy, but just because a track is top of Beatport doesn't really guarantee anything. Basically, until you're massive and in demand, touring for what is basically costs sounds about right. Just ask any punk band who toured Europe in a shitty van this year how much money they made.
T-shirts and that kind of merchandise can also be a staple bread winner. One should be able to get a profit of £10 per shirt.

BERFAB wrote:The ubiquity of technology has been a blessing and a curse to artists. Because there is now almost no barrier to entry in obtaining the tools to create marketable music, EVERYONE, it seems, has a voice. But the vast increase in product has now sliced a small pie into even thinner slices.
Wise words indeed.

I'm conflicted in that I love the democratization of the music making process but now feel overwhelmed at times by the sheer amount of music out there. Am I really that shallow/simple that I need music to be released by a 'proper' label/reviewed in the press etc to treat it seriously?

GaryG wrote:
BERFAB wrote:The ubiquity of technology has been a blessing and a curse to artists. Because there is now almost no barrier to entry in obtaining the tools to create marketable music, EVERYONE, it seems, has a voice. But the vast increase in product has now sliced a small pie into even thinner slices.
Wise words indeed.

I'm conflicted in that I love the democratization of the music making process but now feel overwhelmed at times by the sheer amount of music out there. Am I really that shallow/simple that I need music to be released by a 'proper' label/reviewed in the press etc to treat it seriously?
no it's not shallow, it's how it was for you for many years and it's what you are use to and it doesn't matter if it is our grand parents, our parents, or our generation keeping up with changes in technology can be daunting even for those like us who are very much immersed in that technology. I myself was never a commercial radio guy at all and I was more willing to take a shot on something that was suggested by peers or whatever then to listen to the radio for new songs and artists. Back in day here in an hour of radio time I would be lucky to hear one song that was something I would buy or owned and the rest just did not interest me, I spent more time listening to DJ's talk and play silly games on the radio than listening to music I liked.

Meanwhile I will take a very unpopular stance on the subject of this thread, while I agree with BERFAB about the small slices of pie I like it this way. I am glad I am past the 'rockstar dream' phase of my life, I am glad I do not have to put up with cassette tape 4 tracks that would wear out before I finished a song and I am really glad I do not have to pay a fortune for studio time...even better...I am on my schedule.

So if you're young trying to break into this business and make a decent living it is much harder than it was when I was young and then it was not easy. It kind of reminds me of finding a partner in love, the harder you try the more you seem to fail. If it's meant to be just stay the course and 'success' will find you. It might not be the success you dreamt of or planned on, but as long as you stay true to your passion you will find success. I guess it depends on what your passion is. If your passion is being an artist that's one thing, if fame and fortune are your passions this might not be the best way. The former success can be measured in growth, the latter can however is imo like building a house on a swamp, there may be little to no solid foundation beneath your feet and it can all drop out from under you at any moment :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:It kind of reminds me of finding a partner in love, the harder you try the more you seem to fail. If it's meant to be just stay the course and 'success' will find you. It might not be the success you dreamt of or planned on, but as long as you stay true to your passion you will find success. ... success can be measured in growth ... like building a house on a swamp, there may be little to no solid foundation beneath your feet and it can all drop out from under you at any moment :shrug:
One time i was successing this girl... Haha, my vote for post of the year. :tu: Not belittling the rest of your post, i agree with it.

Theres a lot of other jobs youre better off with if your main goal is making money.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

xNiMiNx wrote:
Hink wrote:It kind of reminds me of finding a partner in love, the harder you try the more you seem to fail. If it's meant to be just stay the course and 'success' will find you. It might not be the success you dreamt of or planned on, but as long as you stay true to your passion you will find success. ... success can be measured in growth ... like building a house on a swamp, there may be little to no solid foundation beneath your feet and it can all drop out from under you at any moment :shrug:
One time i was successing this girl... Haha, my vote for post of the year. :tu: Not belittling the rest of your post, i agree with it.

Theres a lot of other jobs youre better off with if your main goal is making money.
I enjoy cooking too , but I don't think Id like to do it for a living . Then I think of these artists that go on tour and play there music Live 3-5 times a week for 4- 12 months straight , that might get old fast , maybe that is why there next album that comes out next sucks. Maybe they get burnt out .

xNiMiNx wrote:

I figure after all these years I'll never get back a fraction of what I have invested in making music, but I cannot imagine a better return on that investment :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hm "stay away from trying to make money from music"

Sounds about wrong to me.

And if i try very hard who the f**k have the right to judge about it anyway,I would rather prefer to see many more people that are actually trying much much harder than trying to get signed to a shabby Label.
You don't need a Label.

Philosophical applesauce mixed with an invisible market that seemed to be dead but appears to be very lively.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

don't sample 2pac next time.

make better music that is not like all the other edm dubstep out there and maybe he'll have better sales?

put it on bandcamp. make more money. shrug.. but i guess this kind of music is designed for beatport?

DJs have always complained.. even 'back in the day'. it's nothing new. i had DJ friends who were making $300-$800 a night in their home towns back in 1993 who were making a living just fine playing in town, playing around the state.. flying here or there now and then and getting bigger paychecks.. releasing 3 or 4 12 inches a year and only pressing up 500, doing remixes etc..

so, what is it about today's industry that these guys can't figure out?

what's hilarious is a couple weeks ago the yahoo news story about avicii's big ass mansion.. so, yeah.. there's no money in cheesy music guys.. step away..

obviously.. this guy isn't doing something right if he's not making more money..

or.. maybe it's that people don't like his music?.. oh right.. but beatport top 10 for 87 months straight blah blah blah..

cry me a river.. but best of luck. i hope your commercial dance tunes make more money next time.

also, i'm waiting to see the FM studio video w/this guy and his cracked version of sylenth.

"support artists.. steal software"

also, 12,000 sales.. is not a lot really. i mean.. that's nothing. if he did everything right and was making $4 on each sale he'd make a decent wage for 1 year.

but really it's not a lot in sales in the scope of things.

also, living on the road and sleeping on couches and all that.. it's called paying your dues. go read a punk rock bio already. An entire band survived on less than $30 a day for food and then went out and killed it at some shitty bar for like 10 people and got back in the van and went to the next town.. then a couple years later they were either all dead or they became "successful".

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”