As I mature I'm appreciating classical music a lot more

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Never followed classical (or romantic or baroque or any other orchestral type period) in any academic sense, but I've always liked slow and epic string builds. Especially with cellos.

I love that in any genre. So thanks for that, history.

You can keep your opera though! :spit:
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:Never followed classical (or romantic or baroque or any other orchestral type period) in any academic sense, but I've always liked slow and epic string builds. Especially with cellos.

I love that in any genre. So thanks for that, history.

You can keep your opera though! :spit:
If you like strings, listen to the Tschaikovsky Serenade for Strings, or to the Mahler Adagietto (iv movement of the 5th Symphony).

Opera is a learned taste :)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Opera is a learned taste :)
Yes, I've learned to avoid it.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

@ fmr - I'll give them a go if I find them - I've liked things by Tchaikovsky before :)

I'm sure there are opera tunes I might like (in fact I know there is - there's a piece in Madame Butterfly that I remember liking although I wouldn't know which one by name), but the typical overindulgent operatic singing is something that I just can't stick, and doubt that I will ever acquire that particular taste.

It's the musical equivalent of sprouts to me, I'm afraid!
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

I'd prefer musicals over opera at any time! :wink:

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:@ fmr - I'll give them a go if I find them - I've liked things by Tchaikovsky before :)

I'm sure there are opera tunes I might like (in fact I know there is - there's a piece in Madame Butterfly that I remember liking although I wouldn't know which one by name)...
Serenade for Strings
Adagietto from Mahler 5th (conducted by Abbado)
The aria from Madame Butterfly was perhaps "Un bel di vedremo"
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: The aria from Madame Butterfly was perhaps "Un bel di vedremo"
Love Puccini. My favourite arias of his are "Sola perduta abbandonata!" and "Visi d'arte".

aMUSEd wrote:
fmr wrote: The aria from Madame Butterfly was perhaps "Un bel di vedremo"
Love Puccini. My favourite arias of his are "Sola perduta abbandonata!" and "Visi d'arte".
For me it's "Nessun dorma", undoubtedly (predictable, I admit, but Turandot is a magnificent story - too bad he left it incomplete).

But there are so many great arias from so many great operas... and duetti, choruses, scenes, intermezzos, preludes... Really guys, you owe to yourselves to give opera a chance. Actually, one of the great Mozart moments (as I said, I am not a Mozart fan) is "Die Zauberflote" - an opera.
Fernando (FMR)

Mozart's operas are fantastic - so witty and fun - I like his operas above the rest of his music

so only mature people like classical music and immature people can't like it?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I liked classical and jazz before I liked any other kind of music. The main reason I got into rock and then other types was through things like Prog, experimental electronic music and fusion because I realised they were attempting to treat music as a serious art form too rather than just pander to commercial markets.

vurt wrote:
jancivil wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:Is it true that in a concert hall people should behave like in a church? :P
What is that? It's hard to keep quiet and listen during the thing?

But which church? They get kind of excited in some of the churches here.
ive never been given wine and wafers at a concert either.
or sung all things bright and beautiful...
I'm sure I went through that 'eat of the body of Jesus' bit once, maybe more than once. I remember it as our singer had been taken into some 'charismatic religion' (*cough* [/CULT]) by his girlfriend. I thought 'this is f**ked up'. I wasn't instructed in any religion, we went through the motions but I don't remember too much that was heavy. I know I resented the pressure, 'you have to do this [ritual]' in that one situation. It seems like the first time. I was young.

I think reverence for beauty is not a suspect thing. I appreciate irreverence, I don't feel like I have to salute all of Mozart either, but there is church and there is Church. Around here they believe Jesus wants you to get happy and drop your burden for a minute.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aMUSEd wrote:I liked classical and jazz before I liked any other kind of music. The main reason I got into rock and then other types was through things like Prog, experimental electronic music and fusion because I realised they were attempting to treat music as a serious art form too rather than just pander to commercial markets.
I did too, but then there was The Monkees on TV. I was 9 or 10.
I didn't have this division off from my father, we liked a lot of the same things in the early 70's and he wasn't at all into telling me this more juvenile rock music was wrong. He took us to KMart and picked out the correct recording of the Batman theme, where the actual composer Neal Hefti was involved, so this was an opportunity to tell me about arrangers and some history.

I've been to two operas, that time at CCM with the big production of 'Magic Flute' and once in San Francisco to see Richard Strauss "Salome", which was also fantastic. There are some very hip harmonies in that thing. Pretty decadent 'fin de siecle' content in that.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”