Copyright infringement or not

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sendy wrote:I had a listen to your tracks and I have to ask... are you trolling us?
That seems unlikely, the account has been around for a while. But, it could be. If not, as Simon Cowell would say, "he's delusional."
A person has to be tone deaf not to notice that the phrase is sang exactly alike note for note.
I rest my case.

dig him up and sue the f**ker!

PMSL

I'd have to ask 'If you're serious, why are you asking a random music forum instead of speaking to a lawyer'.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I cant figure out why someone would think Im trolling. What would be the purpose of having a forum if I just rush off and spend thousands on a lawyer?? Everyone saying I dont have a case, bet if I took the phrase Wanna be startin something, and I sang it key for key with different style drums and accompaniment, no one gonna say its a coincidence or its not plagiarism. I sent out over 50 copies of that album to different producers including Quincy Jones and EMI, there is a great chance that someone introduced the song to MJ. Ah well I'll just go get a shovel and dig him up
lalala

Ok, it's a bit mean of us to make fun of your music. I honestly believe you have problems with it, though - more than just bad mixdown issues. The singing in Fanfare Lady honestly put me in mind of Throbbing Gristle's Hamburger Lady. I don't think that's an association you want happening. The keyboards sound like someone is just mashing keys in time to the music. That is honest feedback.

All that aside, the quality of music shouldn't detract from whether it's been plagiarized or not. However, in this case, as has already been pointed out, the melodies simply do not match. The lyrics and timing/phrasing do, but again, as has already been pointed out, "x to the rhythm" is (a) a popular lyrical trope and (b) has a very specific way of translating to music, with the rhythm:

X _ X X|X X _ _|

That's just the natural musical cadence of that phrase, and as such, probably won't be copyrightable. Not that rhythms are copyrightable anyway!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Didn't Grace Jones write "Slave To The Rhythm" in the 80's?

modobo wrote:I cant figure out why someone would think Im trolling.
It's hard to say where people take their clues from. It's pretty clear though, there seems to be a solid belief that you might be trolling.
What would be the purpose of having a forum if I just rush off and spend thousands on a lawyer??
It's for advertisement for KVR, and entertainment for KVR's readers. If you need more than entertainment, seek professional help.
Everyone saying I dont have a case,
You don't, and I gave you the best explanation in this thread as to possible reasons why, but, if you need real help, go see an attorney.
bet if I took the phrase Wanna be startin something, and I sang it key for key with different style drums and accompaniment, no one gonna say its a coincidence or its not plagiarism.
You can use phrases in a song that others have used before without it necessarily being plagiarism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7paoM2cghjI&feature=kp

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107859473232/
We do not dance a story for you
Gil Blas bored whispers awakening the beasts in me
Go! Find your feet
Drink some blood
Say it to my face
If you want to be starting something
I sent out over 50 copies of that album to different producers including Quincy Jones and EMI, there is a great chance that someone introduced the song to MJ. Ah well I'll just go get a shovel and dig him up
You might as well have set fire to a few hundred dollar bills. Unsolicited demos are generally ignored. There's a much better chance that your record was roundfiled than there is that Quincy Jones ever gave it a listen.

modobo wrote:I sent out over 50 copies of that album to different producers including Quincy Jones and EMI, there is a great chance that someone introduced the song to MJ.
Given how many albums the record companies are receiving every day and given they don't listen to every album completely, the chances that Michael Jackson might have heard the song casually somewhere might be higher.

Even then, you cannot forbid producers to get inspired by other songs... Except if you want to get some good laughs from the EMI lawyers...

Sendy wrote:Ok, it's a bit mean of us to make fun of your music. I honestly believe you have problems with it, though - more than just bad mixdown issues. The singing in Fanfare Lady honestly put me in mind of Throbbing Gristle's Hamburger Lady. I don't think that's an association you want happening. The keyboards sound like someone is just mashing keys in time to the music. That is honest feedback.

us? Only a couple of people made fun of his music...no offense but you making fun of his music speaks more about you. I will never understand why intelligent people need to 'make fun' of people when they criticize, then say "I'm trying to help you". It's human nature to block out words of criticism when they come in the form of an attack so you're not helping him/her. That's why there is a thing called constructive criticism, honest feedback does not have to involve attacks...calling him a troll was an unprovoked attack. Can you see that perhaps they might be a better way to make a point than to just call someone a troll?

I have been at this for years and my mixing skills need a lot of work (probably because I finish so few songs that my mixing skills do not get enough practice), I listen to those who offer advice in a positive manner...those who think they can make fun of me are spitting into the wind.

Just ftr I listen to your music and while it's my style your productions that I heard in the video you posted recently was fantastic...I would likely find advice from you to be a good thing but if you said "you suck at mixing"(not saying you would) I would be less likely to take advice from you and may take the exact same advice from someone else :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

fwiw, when I listened to this I didn't think he was trolling, but I did wonder if perhaps he was trying a new approach to getting his music heard. I think we look at low post counts and are quick to assume troll...I have been guilty of this myself...but that was my thought :shrug: (and I mean no offense to the OP)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote:dig him up and sue the f**ker!
I bet he doesn't look any different now :hihi:

Hink wrote:
vurt wrote:dig him up and sue the f**ker!
I bet he doesn't look any different now :hihi:

probably not, i heard hes made of the same stuff carrier bags are made of.

Sendy wrote:The singing in Fanfare Lady honestly put me in mind of Throbbing Gristle's Hamburger Lady.
Spot on. It sounds like something that I would have heard on the Dr Demento Show. The creepy casio patch over the budget choir patch about 2:30 or so is genius, if you're trying to top rolly polly fish heads. Then the "lead" comes in at 2:39 followed that little ascending stab, and then the shot and the creepy chords.

If Ian Curtis was mocking a Mark Mothersbaugh re-interpretation of a Wierd Al parody of a Michael Jackson/Bob Marley Duet, it might come out sounding something like the OPs record. Seriously, I think he's missing the boat by taking himself too seriously, it's really good bad production. He should send it to college radio, I think that it might have cult appeal. At the very least it belongs in a B sci-fi "zombies from the future" parody of the star wars bar scene.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
Sendy wrote:The singing in Fanfare Lady honestly put me in mind of Throbbing Gristle's Hamburger Lady.
Spot on.
hmmmm. it has the word "lady" in it, beyond that i hear no similarity? you two be trolling?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”