Copyright infringement or not

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

and yes, i listened based on sendys comment :x

Hink wrote:
Sendy wrote:Ok, it's a bit mean of us to make fun of your music. I honestly believe you have problems with it, though - more than just bad mixdown issues. The singing in Fanfare Lady honestly put me in mind of Throbbing Gristle's Hamburger Lady. I don't think that's an association you want happening. The keyboards sound like someone is just mashing keys in time to the music. That is honest feedback.
us? Only a couple of people made fun of his music...no offense but you making fun of his music speaks more about you.
I'm not reading Sendy's comments that way, I'm reading sensitivity to delusion combined with optimism about the reception of criticism. OP has labeled those who disagree with his preconceived notions of being ripped off by MJ as tone-deaf. That's all you need to know that the OP is delusional about his music; he cannot hear that his singing is completely off key and that the melodies are not identical.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Sendy wrote:The singing in Fanfare Lady honestly put me in mind of Throbbing Gristle's Hamburger Lady.
Spot on.
hmmmm. it has the word "lady" in it, beyond that i hear no similarity? you two be trolling?
No, it's all about mood. I'm not sure whether I should try to stop laughing uncontrollably or slit my wrists. As art, both work, perhaps much more so than anything that Michael Jackson has ever produced. I'm inspired to unleash all of my terrible writing that should never see the light of day on the world because of this thread.

Hink wrote:
Sendy wrote:Ok, it's a bit mean of us to make fun of your music. I honestly believe you have problems with it, though - more than just bad mixdown issues. The singing in Fanfare Lady honestly put me in mind of Throbbing Gristle's Hamburger Lady. I don't think that's an association you want happening. The keyboards sound like someone is just mashing keys in time to the music. That is honest feedback.

us? Only a couple of people made fun of his music...no offense but you making fun of his music speaks more about you. I will never understand why intelligent people need to 'make fun' of people when they criticize, then say "I'm trying to help you". It's human nature to block out words of criticism when they come in the form of an attack so you're not helping him/her. That's why there is a thing called constructive criticism, honest feedback does not have to involve attacks...calling him a troll was an unprovoked attack. Can you see that perhaps they might be a better way to make a point than to just call someone a troll?

I have been at this for years and my mixing skills need a lot of work (probably because I finish so few songs that my mixing skills do not get enough practice), I listen to those who offer advice in a positive manner...those who think they can make fun of me are spitting into the wind.

Just ftr I listen to your music and while it's my style your productions that I heard in the video you posted recently was fantastic...I would likely find advice from you to be a good thing but if you said "you suck at mixing"(not saying you would) I would be less likely to take advice from you and may take the exact same advice from someone else :)
Which part of my quote do you think is taking the piss? I acknowledged that the "troll" comment was a bit out of order, even though I genuinely did wonder about the trolling angle because sometimes KVR does get trolled in this kind of way (and it is really weird to hear creepy chord clusters akin to holding down random notes in something trying to be a pop track) - but beyond that, everything I said IS constructive criticism.

The music just gave me a creepy feeling, with the microtonal singing and the out of tune keyboard drones. I don't think that's the vibe he was going for. The fact that the only similarity you can hear is the "lady" in the lyrics makes me wonder if you're (a) hearing the same thing as me or (b) trying a bit too hard to turn this into a judgement on my character.

There are people who come into threads repeatedly just to say the most jarring thing possible, insult people, or just go against the grain, it's so regular it's predictable and nobody bats an eyelid. I offer some genuine constructive criticism and suddenly I'm in a terrible place?

To the original poster of the music - if my summary of your music offended you, please accept my apologies. But if everybody who had negative criticism was to keep it to themselves, nobody would ever improve.

I've sucked up all kinds of criticism over the years, some of it constructive, some of it discarded, some of it downright personal (at a local Battle of the Bands we were insulted personally on our appearances by the band that came on after). I've been told to stop making music because I'm a ripoff of some other artist. Just keep slogging through it. If someone says something negative about your music that rings true, take it on board. I honestly believe having my musical stance "attacked" has helped me to find my voice. I just wish some of it hadn't been so personal, but that's what performing in public is like - it's a savage world out there.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:
Hink wrote:

us? Only a couple of people made fun of his music...no offense but you making fun of his music speaks more about you. I will never understand why intelligent people need to 'make fun' of people when they criticize, then say "I'm trying to help you". It's human nature to block out words of criticism when they come in the form of an attack so you're not helping him/her. That's why there is a thing called constructive criticism, honest feedback does not have to involve attacks...calling him a troll was an unprovoked attack. Can you see that perhaps they might be a better way to make a point than to just call someone a troll?

I have been at this for years and my mixing skills need a lot of work (probably because I finish so few songs that my mixing skills do not get enough practice), I listen to those who offer advice in a positive manner...those who think they can make fun of me are spitting into the wind.

Just ftr I listen to your music and while it's my style your productions that I heard in the video you posted recently was fantastic...I would likely find advice from you to be a good thing but if you said "you suck at mixing"(not saying you would) I would be less likely to take advice from you and may take the exact same advice from someone else :)
Which part of my quote do you think is taking the piss? I acknowledged that the "troll" comment was a bit out of order, even though I genuinely did wonder about the trolling angle because sometimes KVR does get trolled in this kind of way (and it is really weird to hear creepy chord clusters akin to holding down random notes in something trying to be a pop track) - but beyond that, everything I said IS constructive criticism.

The music just gave me a creepy feeling, with the microtonal singing and the out of tune keyboard drones. I don't think that's the vibe he was going for. The fact that the only similarity you can hear is the "lady" in the lyrics makes me wonder if you're (a) hearing the same thing as me or (b) trying a bit too hard to turn this into a judgement on my character.

There are people who come into threads repeatedly just to say the most jarring thing possible, insult people, or just go against the grain, it's so regular it's predictable and nobody bats an eyelid. I offer some genuine constructive criticism and suddenly I'm in a terrible place?

To the original poster of the music - if my summary of your music offended you, please accept my apologies. But if everybody who had negative criticism was to keep it to themselves, nobody would ever improve.
nothing in your quote said you were taking the piss so to speak and I did not mean to say you were in a terrible place, apologies if you took it hat way (I see my err and that was my bad). My point was the troll comment could hurt future posts from you when it comes to the OP. People get called a name and they tend to block those people out. As you say you acknowledge that it was out of line and likewise I acknowledged I have done the same in the past and have also have regretted it. KvR would be...hell the world would be a better place if we all didn't say such things...not just you, but all of us. :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Not that I suspected you were trying to make me out to be the next Simon Cowell or anything :hihi: I did wonder if you thought I was being negative for the hell of it, which isn't the case at all.

Oh, I stole the joke in your sig BTW :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Ok, thanks for clarifying. Not that I suspected you were trying to make me out to be the next Simon Cowell or anything :hihi: I did wonder if you thought I was being negative for the hell of it, which isn't the case at all.

Can we stop with the lovefest in here, it's totally derailing the tone of the thread.

Surprise twist ending, everyone lives happily ever after.

Except Michael Jackson, of course, who... yeah. Rest in Peace.

Sendy wrote:Surprise twist ending, everyone lives happily ever after.

Except Michael Jackson, of course, who... yeah. Rest in Peace.
Michael is alive and well thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhG829Rk7c

Wow, the tune in question is terrible if Im being kind

To compare this with the MJ tune is laughable, pure coincidence in IMO, really cliched lyrical similarities.
Surely there are a millions tunes better and worth plagiarising

Listening to that tune was like a bad acid trip, hilarious and disturbing at the same time
Amazon: why not use an alternative

ghettosynth wrote:
Sendy wrote:Ok, thanks for clarifying. Not that I suspected you were trying to make me out to be the next Simon Cowell or anything :hihi: I did wonder if you thought I was being negative for the hell of it, which isn't the case at all.

Can we stop with the lovefest in here, it's totally derailing the tone of the thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANvYB93u2g
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

modobo wrote: A person has to be tone deaf
to have created this 'song'.

Just played it to my better half and she was more bemused than me and begged me to turn it off as it made her anxious :hihi:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Just played it to my better half and she was more bemused than me and begged me to turn it off as it made her anxious :hihi:
Then it seems to be scarier than Michael Jackson's "Thriller"... :scared:

Wow. That's... It's... Um... A big ol' mug of not good. i think it would be an actual chore to try to do something exactly like... this. Even as a joke. Yikes. i have no idea what i just listened to, but it did leave me feeling uncomfortable. i know it's kind of poor taste to critically slam someone else's attempts at music, but this is one of those situations where it would do a disservice to be polite. i mean, does this sound good to the original poster? If it does, then his use of the phrase "tone deaf" is a particularly rich irony. i don't even know what any of the words were other than "dance to the rhythm". If that's the phrase in question, there's no way that phrase is remotely original, not in English, and especially not in the context of musical structure.

If it helps anyone feel better, i know the feeling of having something you wrote get ripped off by someone who has been successful when you yourself have not. A bunch of years back, two different people went out of their way to tell me that one of my old tracker mod songs was possibly ripped off by J.Ralf. This is mine: http://dysamoria.com/music/downloads/tommy_mod.zip, and this is his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06ZRt3lIgE His song is pretty cool. i was jealous for a bit, and i even wrote to him to innocently inquire about his inspiration. He seemed to be clueless about what mods even were, so i let it drop. That guitar line he opens his song with sounds like a sample itself, so, if he ripped anyone off, it was likely someone else who has already been recorded and published on record or whatnot. But the similarity, structurally, was indeed striking (and listening to it just now re-awoke my sense of paranoia, but i'll get over it :-D).

The thing is, this happens! Also, my song's guitar rhythm pattern was actually an inspiration from/rip of a more complex pattern in someone else's song (it was one half of two channels of a different polyphonic staircase pattern), so i really didn't have a leg to stand on in complaining that someone else had hit on the same pattern of 12+ note progression (hell, maybe the acoustic guitar sample used in J.Ralf's song was the inspiration for the thing i used as a starting point... it can go on and on like that across generations!). And, once you have a certain progression going on as a rhythm piece, using a certain set of notes or chords, it's likely that you will craft a similar melody to fit on top of it. This is how music and the human brain works. Coincidences happen and they can even seem really crazy unlikely, but STILL BE mere coincidences.

It still kinda hurts though, when we feel these things are happening. But it's vital to be objective. Plagiarism is a serious thing, but it also has to be really clearly demonstrable. In the case of this thread, the original poster is highly unlikely to get anywhere with an honest lawyer (as in, a lawyer that isn't going to rip him off by promising something he/she wont deliver on). My song has much more clear similarities to the one my friends "warned" me about, but i also feel it would go nowhere in a challenge, even if i honestly was unwilling to accept that myself and J. Ralf had simply both stumbled upon a very similar and very catchy note progression that we both coincidentally built a song on... and we both kinda took it from someone else anyway.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

More than once I've made tracks or parts that sound very similar to other stuff before I heard said other stuff - in one case I came across something that was so similar to something I was halfway through making that it was freaky.

There was no chance they ripped me off, as I was the only other person besides perhaps my brother to ever hear it.

Threw my toys out, huffed and puffed a bit about the unfairness of it, wrote a letter of complaint to the three fates, scrapped the track and got over it.

But coincidences do happen like that from time to time.

Since I've no intention of making money with music (I've learned the hard way that making money from doing the things I love kills my love for the thing), I'd be pretty chuffed if someone ripped something of mine off and was successful with it. I'd like to know if they'd heard my music and what they thought, but would'nt be able to approach them without them getting lawyers at the ready in the defensive.

Haven't heard the track (at work now, so can't), but you folks have made it sound so weird and creepy that I want to now!
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”