Well, another iLok drama unfolding

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so glad i sold all my iLok based plug ins years ago.

washed my hands of that mess. i'll never buy another thing that requires ilok. i don't care how good it is. PACE can go f**k a goat in the ass.

Compyfox wrote:

Furthermore - what would you have done if you'd rely on hardware, and your "main tool of choice" was failing? Who is to blame in this case?
Gibson :P
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

masterhiggins wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Either way - communication is key indeed.
PACE e-mail wrote:Please do not contact ilok.com support; unfortunately they will not be able to assist you.
PACE deserves a big f**k you right there.

-Sam
that's what I was saying. Anyways, like I said, I'm glad I don't ride the dongle train anymore :ud:

So in the end, it goes down to four fractions:

1) Those that use USB keys and don't have a problem with that

2) those that dropped them and don't have any problem with that

3) those that "refuse" to support anything in that section, might have been "burned at some point" and then go haywire in every thread

4) those that never used that system, give a sh*t about it, but still go apesh*t about it.

Fine with me. :shrug:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

No, I can safely say that none of those have anything to do with this thread. 100% certain of that. In fact, I thought the thread was informative and alarming at one point, now I'm pretty much sorry I jumped in because I can see the path it's going down.

I'm in the apparently non-existent fraction that have so-far refused to ever have dongles but am also fine with that.

So I'm outsider again? Typical! In that case you're all elitists, and you'll burn in hell! (but not for any dongle related issues) :P
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Compyfox wrote:So in the end, it goes down to four fractions:

3) those that "refuse" to support anything in that section, might have been "burned at some point" and then go haywire in every thread

4) those that never used that system, give a sh*t about it, but still go apesh*t about it.

it's a funny topic, for me it's not really the dongle but the inward spiral of installing less and less...I have more non-dongled software in my strong box doing nothing than I do dongled software. For instance I have a lot of the first generation of voxengo stuff, I love it but I dont want upgrade everything especially having Samp with the Suites :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Shit, @ hidden: Yeah, if this is going to be a general dongle discussion then I went ilok free back now years and years ago (mainly because nothing was x64 and I went x64) so in THAT respect I guess it doesn't matter. But I do not approve of what I'm reading about here. It's not acceptable.

Hink wrote:
Compyfox wrote:So in the end, it goes down to four fractions:

it's a funny topic, for me it's not really the dongle but the inward spiral of installing less and less...I have more non-dongled software in my strong box doing nothing than I do dongled software. For instance I have a lot of the first generation of voxengo stuff, I love it but I dont want upgrade everything especially having Samp with the Suites :shrug:
I hear you. What I like about dongles is that I don't have to dwell on whether an install is the one that matters. I just install on any computer that I'm using and move around. This is impacting me right now as I have to either think about which of my two main machines I want to use for Max development stuff, or, I have to purchase an iLok.

The C/R process always adds hassle to the install process. I too have a bunch of software, non-dongled, that I just don't bother to use because I just don't want to go through the CR/install process again. If I can just drag the plugin to a folder, it gets used.

Ilok support replied to the thread over at the Avid forums.

"It looks like there is some speculation and misinformation being posted here so we'd like to clear up what is going on.

First, the entire iLok ecosystem was unaffected by the Heartbleed vulnerability. This includes the iLok.com website, the iLok License Manager application, and our license activation services. Our site and services are running smoothly without any problems.

Second, we did send emails to a small number of iLok users regarding license deposits that were made to their accounts by mistake. These users were not randomly chosen, we actually audited every single license to carefully identify only those that were mistakenly deposited.

If you didn't receive an email from us, there were no mistaken deposits identified in your account. But since there seems to be so much speculation and concern by those who were not affected, we're happy to share more information here.

The license deposits that we sent emails about were deposits created by our server, NOT deposits made to an iLok account by a software publisher. These deposits were made when our server saw an iLok but failed to recognize the licenses on that iLok as the very same licenses that already were listed in the iLok account. This created a duplicate of the license, and in some cases, created a full license when what was actually seen on the iLok was an expired license.

This means that the licenses that are being removed are duplicate licenses that should never have been deposited.

So what does this mean for you?

If you didn't get an email from us, that means nothing was changed in your iLok account.

If you did get an email from us, your email lists the licenses that were mistakenly deposited. If the license is currently activated on an iLok, we told you which iLok the license is on, and how to return it. Only the licenses listed are set to be returned.

Several of the posters here had purchased this type of license from another iLok user. Unfortunately we can only direct them back to the party that they purchased the duplicate license from.

We’d like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to the iLok users who received the mistaken deposits for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Again, if you didn't receive an email from us, your account was not changed in any way.

We hope this helps clear up the questions and worries being posted here. Our support team has been answering the questions of the affected users that have written in to us, and will continue to do so."

everything is working perfectly.. it's just that our server dumped licenses into a bunch of accounts.. then allowed those licenses to be sold to 3rd parties who are now shit out of luck... because our system is working perfectly.

lol. such a bummer for all the parties involved. sigh.

So basically people are getting pissed that:

1. They are having licenses removed that they were incorrectly given and that they are not entitled to.
2. They are having licenses removed that were illegitimately sold to them.

tbh I don't see what all the fuss is about. Especially since MOST of the people who resold their "extra" licenses would have known that they did not own them.

If you had received or were sold stolen goods, then you would not have been allowed to keep them. Same as if your bank account was accidentally credited extra money and you spent it, you would be asked to pay it back. :shrug:

EDIT: If there's anyone you should be pissed at, it is the opportunistic people who sold/transferred you the dodgy licenses in the first place.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:EDIT: If there's anyone you should be pissed at, it is the opportunistic people who sold/transferred you the dodgy licenses in the first place.
They should also be pissed off at PACE, whose sh*tty-ass faulty servers spit out extra licenses in the f**king first place, those incompetent bastards.

-Sam

@Ben: But that isn't what was being said. Goes to show me for a) joining an ilok thread which all end up in the same place and b) I kinda thought with some of the people up to a certain point there was something other than that going on.

I'm completely confused so, lates!

So, you buy a used car from a private seller and successfully register it with the state.

1 year later the state revokes your title and says the original owner didn't fill out the information correctly so you need to get it resolved with them. Sounds like a pain... or impossible with some random eBay seller that lives across the pond.

Two things are for certain:
1) iLok has prevented many software licenses from being stolen
2) iLok has prevented many software licenses from being sold

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”