has the term producer changed in modern indie music

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

back in my youth when our band was at the height of its industry dominance :hihi: most if not all producers weren't even musicians, they were a sort of manager slash project over see'r. we hired a guy who called himself a producer and his job was to co-ordinate the recording process in the studio, suggest and oversee the packaging of the music, book events and even at times bring coffee laced with something to stimulate our creativety :lol:
now it seems, I see the word producer everywhere, if you have ableton, some loops and samples you're a producer, or if you are a sort of musician of some type etc, you're a producer.
has there been a change in the term/word/job these days?

in some ways I think I might make a good producer but when I check ads and stuff of people looking for a producer, they're really looking for a musician to collab with :?

i do remember producers being completely anal about music, actually... they were the guys breaking your balls about retuning your guitar, and trust me, proper muscians... very much involve with the arrangements too. but yes, the term ''producer'' is overused those days by people who really don't understand what it used to be about...
they were the mediators too... the bands didn't tell me (engineer) what they wanted: he did. the record labels told him what they wanted. he pretended to listen to the bands opinions, then actually orchestrated the whole thing. easthetic decisions, mediator, and so on. a far cry from modern beat makers indeed...
Last edited by Chopper on Sun May 18, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

wavephonic wrote:back in my youth when our band was at the height of its industry dominance :hihi: most if not all producers weren't even musicians, they were a sort of manager slash project over see'r. we hired a guy who called himself a producer and his job was to co-ordinate the recording process in the studio, suggest and oversee the packaging of the music, book events and even at times bring coffee laced with something to stimulate our creativety :lol:
To book events, most artists had (and still have) a manager, that's not the task of a producer, and to bring coffee most studios have some students... :P

But as the studios are much smaller than some decades ago, everyone with a small home studio can call him/herself "producer" even if working in the box.

Sometimes I see myself as producer, sometimes as musician, sometimes as artist and most times a bit of everything. I don't care about terms... :shrug:

Chopper wrote:i do remember producers being completely anal about music,
the bands didn't tell me (engineer) what they wanted: he did..
yup, if I had to describe our sound it was sort of in the vein of the band, spirit. I remember the engineer telling us our guy wanted the sound closer to black sabbath, lol which was news to us. we actually did do a couple copy tunes by them, the bass player liked it, he was able to smoke while playing :wink:

that made me laff hard :D

Tricky-Loops wrote:
wavephonic wrote:back in my youth when our band was at the height of its industry dominance :hihi: most if not all producers weren't even musicians, they were a sort of manager slash project over see'r. we hired a guy who called himself a producer and his job was to co-ordinate the recording process in the studio, suggest and oversee the packaging of the music, book events and even at times bring coffee laced with something to stimulate our creativety :lol:
To book events, most artists had (and still have) a manager, that's not the task of a producer, and to bring coffee most studios have some students... :P

But as the studios are much smaller than some decades ago, everyone with a small home studio can call him/herself "producer" even if working in the box.

Sometimes I see myself as producer, sometimes as musician, sometimes as artist and most times a bit of everything. I don't care about terms... :shrug:
true about booking, he kind of wore both hats that way since we couldn't afford both manager and producer.
yup, engineering students and such get the coffee etc these days, back then though, everyone was a dropout :lol:

Tricky-Loops wrote:
this is where I get mixed up, is it because they produce music, what if you produce widgets in the basement, are you still a producer

In my book there is a difference between a producer and a promotion guy/manager. Booking of events, promotion stuff this is the part of the manager you hire. The producer writes the music and in most cases also creates the music for his own or for others.
The only thing which has changed a bit since most stuff is ITB: today often the producer is also the audio engineer who mix (and sometimes also master) the music.

So if I think of a producer, it's a person who creates a usable playback (this includes the composing/arranging and in most cases also the mix). I would only exclude the mastering.

4damind wrote:In my book there is a difference between a producer and a promotion guy/manager. Booking of events, promotion stuff this is the part of the manager you hire. The producer writes the music and in most cases also creates the music for his own or for others.
The only thing which has changed a bit since most stuff is ITB: today often the producer is also the audio engineer who mix (and sometimes also master) the music.

So if I think of a producer, it's a person who creates a usable playback (this includes the composing/arranging and in most cases also the mix). I would only exclude the mastering.
In my book a "producer" is someone who supervises (and organizes) the production process of a medium (in this case music). He/she doesn't have to do the recordings and mastering him-/herself, he/she can also hire studio musicians, recording engineers, mixing engineers and mastering engineers. So he/she is responsible that the product is finished but he/she doesn't have to do every work him-/herself. Keep in mind that many producers are purchasing whole arrangements, lyrics and compositions (from composers & songwriters) - they don't create all the music themselves.

Booking events, public relation, working together with media, supporting the artist is the task of the manager, as you said. Unfortunately nowadays there are also people who call themselves "(artist) manager" and all they do is sending some advertisement emails with MP3 to media... :x

4damind wrote: The producer writes the music and in most cases also creates the music for his own or for others.
thats where I think its the new idea, maybe because the home market musician wears so many hats. but it still sounds strange to hear the word producer when writing music

wavephonic wrote:
4damind wrote: The producer writes the music and in most cases also creates the music for his own or for others.
thats where I think its the new idea, maybe because the home market musician wears so many hats. but it still sounds strange to hear the word producer when writing music
Now that's called a "composer" or "songwriter", not a "producer". There are still many composers and songwriters who sell their compositions/songs/lyrics to producers. Think of Lena's "Satellite" song. One woman wrote the lyrics, an other man created the composition, and they sent it to Stefan Raab who was the producer!

I'm 15 and I produce 8)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:I'm 15 and I produce 8)
When did you download Fruity Loops? :P

(But sighting your avatar, you're looking much older! :clown:)

Plus you joined KVR when you were 6 years old? Blimey, they are getting younger by the day, producers... ;)
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”