Hardware VS Software!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:
Hink wrote:Having said that I quoted part of your post in bold Eric because I think the argument can be made that this is not always a good thing.
Agreed! I'm only the messenger, it doesn't mean I approve of that behavior. ;)
I wont shoot you :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
Axiomstatic wrote:Uncle E before you start accusing me of anything read the thread and the history.
One guy on here says, do not get confused and think all Plugins sound the same.

Until then at no time have I ever mentioned that all plugins sound the same and thought it would be interesting to post Ethans little talk on the subject.
Personally I do not care if plugins sound differently and you are right my experience is very limited with software EQ. But let me assure you given my experience with hardware EQ, I can quickly learn to understand one of your software EQ's in no time.

You may find it interesting that yesterday I decided to down load a Waves version of a supposed to be emulation of my Pultec EQP- 1A. :D
What would you know, the plugin sounds nothing like the original. :hihi:

It would be good if the marketing would cease the over hype nonsense claiming these emulations sound the same or better then the real thing. Oh dear me marketing at its greatest lol.

Actually thanks to all in this thread for reminding me that I am not missing out on anything :)
After all we use what we like in the end.
in your original post you ask can you make a comparison and here you make note of the fact that marketing is the issue. I'm assuming you've been at this for while. I think the type of marketing that you speak of has been around a very long time. I'll take the example of guitar amps because I am a guitarist (and ftr 54 years old, been playing since I was 12). This is the same marketing that they used in the 70's, 80's, 90' 00's and this decade sounds just like a Marshall (still hear it with amp sims) but at this point in my life that marketing has grown very old and I block it out. It's embellishment, it's fluff, the truth is if I want a Marshall I am buying a Marshall.

You ask can you compare software to hardware, remove marketing from the equation and let me ask...do you need to compare hardware and software? Do you believe when you read that it sounds just like whatever it does? Which is more important? Sounding like the marketing department says it does or whether or not you like how it sounds and whether or not it will compliment your existing gear?

There is nothing wrong with your being biased toward hardware, I can relate. But perhaps you might want to approach it from a different angle. There are some good suggestions as to why hybrid is the way to go, even from an old(er) timer like myself. I'm sure you have tried this but please allow me to just emphasize this, try a demo and instead of asking does this sound like? Ask yourself, can this be useful to me? :)
That is the very essence of the real bottom line of firstly the end/answer to such a subject and secondly really all what actually matters, Well said mate :tu:

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:
Hink wrote:
Axiomstatic wrote:Uncle E before you start accusing me of anything read the thread and the history.
One guy on here says, do not get confused and think all Plugins sound the same.

Until then at no time have I ever mentioned that all plugins sound the same and thought it would be interesting to post Ethans little talk on the subject.
Personally I do not care if plugins sound differently and you are right my experience is very limited with software EQ. But let me assure you given my experience with hardware EQ, I can quickly learn to understand one of your software EQ's in no time.

You may find it interesting that yesterday I decided to down load a Waves version of a supposed to be emulation of my Pultec EQP- 1A. :D
What would you know, the plugin sounds nothing like the original. :hihi:

It would be good if the marketing would cease the over hype nonsense claiming these emulations sound the same or better then the real thing. Oh dear me marketing at its greatest lol.

Actually thanks to all in this thread for reminding me that I am not missing out on anything :)
After all we use what we like in the end.
in your original post you ask can you make a comparison and here you make note of the fact that marketing is the issue. I'm assuming you've been at this for while. I think the type of marketing that you speak of has been around a very long time. I'll take the example of guitar amps because I am a guitarist (and ftr 54 years old, been playing since I was 12). This is the same marketing that they used in the 70's, 80's, 90' 00's and this decade sounds just like a Marshall (still hear it with amp sims) but at this point in my life that marketing has grown very old and I block it out. It's embellishment, it's fluff, the truth is if I want a Marshall I am buying a Marshall.

You ask can you compare software to hardware, remove marketing from the equation and let me ask...do you need to compare hardware and software? Do you believe when you read that it sounds just like whatever it does? Which is more important? Sounding like the marketing department says it does or whether or not you like how it sounds and whether or not it will compliment your existing gear?

There is nothing wrong with your being biased toward hardware, I can relate. But perhaps you might want to approach it from a different angle. There are some good suggestions as to why hybrid is the way to go, even from an old(er) timer like myself. I'm sure you have tried this but please allow me to just emphasize this, try a demo and instead of asking does this sound like? Ask yourself, can this be useful to me? :)
That is the very essence of the real bottom line of firstly the end/answer to such a subject and secondly really all what actually matters, Well said mate :tu:
thanx Dean, good to see you here...4 days until Lauren's big day, I hope I can hold it together :hihi:...I know I owe you a message or two TTYS :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Axiomstatic wrote:Actually thanks to all in this thread for reminding me that I am not missing out on anything :)
:troll:

Hink wrote:
Dean Aka Nekro wrote:
Hink wrote:in your original post you ask can you make a comparison and here you make note of the fact that marketing is the issue. I'm assuming you've been at this for while. I think the type of marketing that you speak of has been around a very long time. I'll take the example of guitar amps because I am a guitarist (and ftr 54 years old, been playing since I was 12). This is the same marketing that they used in the 70's, 80's, 90' 00's and this decade sounds just like a Marshall (still hear it with amp sims) but at this point in my life that marketing has grown very old and I block it out. It's embellishment, it's fluff, the truth is if I want a Marshall I am buying a Marshall.

thanx Dean, good to see you here...4 days until Lauren's big day, I hope I can hold it together :hihi:...I know I owe you a message or two TTYS :tu:
I know you'll hold it together just fine and I look forwards to hearing from you plus the splendid photos of Lauren on her big day John, Stoked for her and she deserves it to be fantastic. Lots of love to you three as always :D
jancivil wrote:
Axiomstatic wrote:Actually thanks to all in this thread for reminding me that I am not missing out on anything :)
:troll:
Well put Jan, A lot, Lot more straight and to the point than I can ever seem to manage even when I try :tu: Love and best to your way to yourself and your family and loved one's :)

Cheers to you both, I do miss getting my dose of KVR and recent absence isn't really by choice, Catch up when I can do

Dean xox

Dean

Axiomstatic wrote:You may find it interesting that yesterday I decided to down load a Waves version of a supposed to be emulation of my Pultec EQP- 1A. :D
Try out their Scheps 73, that might be Waves' most accurate emulation. IK Multimedia's EQ 73 is also very good and, as I said before, their 432 is the creme de la creme of native software EQ's, IMO. The Maag EQ4 is also very good. If you want to hear a great software version of the Pultec, try the UAD Pultec MK2. That's a little tougher to try, though, because it's not native and you'll need a UAD card to do it.

Uncle It is not the sound that only stops me using such emulations it is beyond that. More the psychological aspect of it all when using the real hardware units. Something quite mystical about using the real thing VS an emulation. No matter how good a plugin will sound I like the interaction between the unit and me and the effect it has when working this way.
I like console faders, I like real knobs for EQ and would never stand looking at a GUI when getting that sound.
I do not fancy the aspect of pushing a mouse up or down to acquire that sound and that has to do with the fact that I spend hours daily using a computer for bread and butter.

I like the escape away from a computer when in the studio with the console, to remove that from me would be like taking away mixing all together. Plus where am I going to place the old elbow of mine eh :lol:

Stubborn maybe.
Stupid no

Today I wondered how long will I continue this way before I start incorporating some software, because believe me I want to. Maybe start slow and see if it can progress where I can add some more to my mix lineup down the line??
Maybe some guys around here can and do deliver the results ITB and good on em.
If you want to achieve greatness stop asking for permission!

Hink me thinks marketing today is allot more in your face then it was in the 70's. Maybe the internet has something to do with that eh.
You are right we did have marketing in the 70's.
At it a while just 28 years :) and having some fun talking about this stuff here. I never put the software plug down, I did ask though how does it compare with folks who use both daily?

As you can see by my posts I am interested in integrating software. Do I like the sound? well I think the Protools stock plugs sound as good as many I have heard in the past few days.

I am not sure any of the emulations I have demoed compare to my real boxes. Again this may have something to do with me being biased old and stubborn.
Still have not found a demo that sounds as juicy as the real 1176 on the snare yet :)

Here is an unbiased demo / review of the UAD Fairchild limiter plugin. The person running the demo has experience with the hardware, so I think we can trust his opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcxtAu8-hnc
... space is the place ...

What you miss, Axiomstatic, is the "Hands on" feeling that was I talking about earlier.

The fact that it's an independent hardware module, the fact that it needs it's own power, you need to connect everything with cables rather than loading software. Trust me, I can more than relate.

But after getting a controller device and setting it up for my needs, I'm not looking back. I have "hands on" experience and I can basically turn off my screen if I want to work. Win-Win situation.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Axiomstatic wrote:No matter how good a plugin will sound I like the interaction between the unit and me and the effect it has when working this way.
Again, Softube's Console 1 not only replicates that but actually improve on a console's workflow in many regards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbLFsiZGuOc

No way I would trade in my API 1608 for that softube controller.
Never ever in my wildest dreams )

Okay, I'll bite

Why not?
And tell me about your wildest dreams are you in control of them or are they in control of you?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I will tell you why.
Firstly I like the API Sound in particular the 1608. I know how it delivers and to me it sounds like a record!
Spend a little time on one then move over to something like a DAW controller which is what that Softube is and tell me if you think there is a difference. Who knows you may find you like the API better? or you may prefer the DAW Controller. DAW Controller nah not for me thanks.

Wildest dreams why you do you want to go there?

You brought it up not me.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”