9 Warning Signs of an Amateur Artist

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

'the sooner they finish one piece the sooner they will be able to begin work on the next piece.' (professionals).haha.this article is hilarious.so many classic lines!

Before too long it's pretty incoherent. "Amateurs are too busy learning to do anything." WTFF is that. You need to get your chops together before doing.

"A professional doesn’t worry about knowing every technique in the book. They simply learn the basics and then get to work discovering what they need to know as they go along." So actually discouraging learning, that's the ticket. No, there are actual things to know in the abstract, you're not going to 'discover' everything you need to know in the doing. If you don't know part-writing/voice-leading, and the thing you're doing suffers from not knowing, you're not going to hack your way through it to the other side. There is far too much of incompetent music-as-product as it is. For the more strictly production-minded, you need to know the tools, you should know exactly what a compressor does. What are these 'basics' you shan't exceed?
"They simply..." Yeah you want that 'simply' real bad doncha.

The sooner you finish, the sooner you're making the next turd.

"we are not only creators but we are also consumers", sure, assuming we didn't experience a whole lot of music before we decided to be a creator. I don't listen to music when I'm making it, it's distracting. This guy must be real young. And I suspect has only ever used a DAW to create. There are many warning signs about him as any authority in this blog.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

My List:

1: Avoid Lists

Hink wrote: ... if I could go back and tell young Hink one thing it would be success in the arts is not about money, the thrill grows without commercial success and imho it changes as well ... for the better. I think the most liberating feeling as an artist I have had is when I stopped worrying about being at the right shows, playing the right gear, worrying about my image, stopped making silly rules and concentrating on making it.

When I realized that I thought I was over the hill I soon understood I had just reached a plateau and there are many more plateaus ahead before I reach the top of the hill ... I have yet to peak :)
That's what I call a "serious artist", it's a pretty good definition! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Silly article with mostly all the wrong distinctions. I don't differentiate between amateur and "pro" (god, that word....!), but find it more useful to distinguish between "creators" and "tourists". When I listen to your music, I don't care how much money you've made, how long you spend on each session, whether you have a routine. I just want to hear "that spark", that vital urgency that good art of any medium has. Meanwhile the tourists are filling out their "tracks" with the same gusto one might fill out a form. They're doing it because they want "the cool", it's like a carrot on a stick dangling in front of them, but to get that treat they have to endure the horrible task of creativity. Often they want quick, easy, results-focussed apps and programs to get them to places without needing to understand the underlying principles. This is bad because achieving something without knowing what went into it doesn't put you in good stead to integrate that thing with other things, or play with it in meaningful ways. Eg, I could steal a Charlie Parker solo, but if I don't understand what's going on with it, I can't learn from it, or create anything new from it, I can just play it back like a machine.

Tourists aren't bad in-and-of themselves, they just become a problem when they outnumber the creators and/or disrespect the lay of the land that they are tramping on. Unfortunately I see this all the time in the form of spam, bad manners, and an egotistical spread of disinformation which would be akin to messing up road signs so they point the wrong way while on holiday, or outright trying to destroy the roads.
Last edited by Sendy on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

it's like being hipster...

Come to think of it, most of the musicians I know were at their best when they were amateurs. When I was in high school, I knew all the musicians from every local school, and it was all very impressive.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Warning! A Amateur!

What does it tell us?
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

I was warned about you baby, but my feelings were a little bit too strong!

t3toooo wrote:Warning! A Amateur!

What does it tell us?
That the speaker has a stutter? :D
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I dunno. I consider myself an amateur artist and I fit some of that.

But it's too snarky and artsy fartsy of an attitude. Like, if you don't follow that list, you are an amateur. Squirrel please! People that are GREAT artists frequently have balance. If you followed this principle you'd never eat, you'd never love, you'd never go to the fricking bathroom. It's not realistic.

On the other hand, I know people that CLAIM to be like this, and stuff is shit or certainly nothing special.

So though I can agree with parts, I call bullocks to the article in summery.

hibidy wrote: People that are GREAT artists frequently have balance.
Yeah, that too. I step back from something I've worked a long time on. I'll take a vacation.
'If you're a pro you won't stop to watch your favorite show on TV.'
^ Just one of the Warning Signs of a Poseur.

That really annoyed me. It's like, I hate to break you the bad news, but there are countless REAL musicians who have had unbelievable success that love to keep up with movies, tv, other music, concerts, dinning out, sex, drugs, women (or men), comedy, looking at nature, taking trips, driving a car, seeing their girl/guy friend, walking/spending time with the dog, having friends, talking about politics...... :hihi:

It's absurd.

I didn't find anything terrifically irritating, just kind of typical bloviating overconfident blogshite.

They don’t make the mistake of overly identifying with a piece of art or making it part of their identity as an artist. They simply let it go, knowing that the experience will have taught them what they needed to know. What does that even mean? It sounds like someone that makes crap pretty frequently and here's a way that seems noble if not courageous. POOT

this amateur is a fiction, a device against which to pose oneself and come away as superior. reveals kind of an insecurity, actually

I wonder if the OP think he's an amateur or a pro based on this list?
:borg:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”