What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glokraw wrote: I've never heard of George Martin... :neutral:
The music software industry would shrink, if not vanish,
if it were built only on sales to 'stars', and top level studio professionals,
As would sales of pianos, if only sales to
concert pianists were possible.

The linux audio situation is not static, it' better than last year,
and will be better next year. The mainstream industry audio quality itself is at the point of diminishing returns, with some work
being done in ranges that can't be heard by most people.
So the poor deranged linux musician, or coder, can still create
wonderful things, if willing to work, and

To quote the ringless Allen Iverson,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29VsG35DQM
Here's the thing, top music company dumb down their product for the mainstream customer. It's the professional that actually uses the more complex machine.

If even professional don't wanna use linux, what makes you think the hobbyist musician want to use linux? When a tween with a laptop and FL studio can make music without complication, what makes them want to move to linux?

And do you think the Windows and Apple audio situation will static? They are moving faster than Linux ever could. If this is a race where linux is the fastest then it will catch up, but it won't. It's the slowest.
musisikamar.com

linux hardly requires the command line. not nowadays anyway.

AstralExistence wrote:linux hardly requires the command line. not nowadays anyway.
Not if everything works as expected.
But I guess that's pretty much the case on most platforms. Certainly on OSX, which of course is..
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

whyterabbyt wrote: Please stop moving your goalposts. The speculation wasnt predicated on 'young people' it was predicated on the spread of gnu/linux. And the result predicted wasnt 'they're the the future' it was 'the fall of capitalist computer companies'.

<snip>

For the record, GNU/Linux isnt what's noticably spreading. 'Pure' Linux via Android is. And that's something that's quite firmly engendered through the capitalist computer companies you claimed Linux is going to help overthrow.
I know Mr DC made an anti-capitalist statement but this was never a thread about capitalism vs whatever someone wants to turn this into next. This was a thread so that we can find out what people would like to see improved under Linux, or at least it is since I changed its topic! :)

Warning: Pro Linux / FLOSS / freedom statements ahead inc. a Google apology section! You've been warned..

No-one can deny that Intel, IBM, Google etc,, the very definition of Big Name capitalist IT mega corps are deadly serious about Linux - that's both GNU/Linux AND Android Linux - and they have been for a long time as they've all poured millions into improving the Linux kernel, xorg, gcc, MESA, etc etc. It's Linux that is 'Too Big To Fail' now as preeeeety much all the big guns in tech are backing Linux save for MS and Apple.

Google/YT/FB/Y! are all primarily Linux-powered, Android uses the kernel at least and they help improve numerous FLOSS projects every summer via GSOC. What have Apple done of note to help free software, bar helping improve LLVM? What have MS done of note to advance FLOSS OSs and computing? I don't know of anything noteworthy that a large number of people use or care about. If they FLOSS their OS, I may start to take interest in them again for general computing.

Look at it this way. Everybody should know that nobody owns Windows, you just buy a license to use it. For the last number off years, at least since the release of Windows 7, you can no longer register Windows without shaking hands with MS. What if that handshake fails, for any number of reasons? You may have network issues or, God forbid, MS may have messed up with their systems or staff who inform you you've not paid up? Do you gladly pay again? Do you now hack your machine to use it, switch to a FLOSS OS, or just not use computers until your Windows licensing issue gets resolved, however long that may take? Do you choose not to use what is supposedly your machine because MS said you couldn't? If you didn't want to or couldn't install Linux to a HD/SSD, would you not boot into a live Linux distro - another area where Linux excels over its non-free alternatives - to get up and running again faster?

Surely it would be much better if the three main desktop platforms had an even number of plugins and apps developed for them, then we'd all be able to stay logged into Linux, if thats what we preferred to do, for whatever your fave reason is? You almost seem to be against the idea of an alternative platform becoming more useful to a wider range off people like us musicians.

Its important to note I am not anti non-free or commercial software, like a certain famous free software advocate, although I am still pro-Free software. I realise some software takes too long to develop without serious man power and money, like a lot of music software. At the same time, there are numerous examples where community driven, 'fully organic' FLOSS software has been the best of breed over its non-free alternatives. If Ardour 3 or qtractor becomes as feature-complete as Tracktion, I may switch as I prefer FLOSS.

There are plenty of Linux fans like me that are more than happy to pay for non-free, non-FLOSS software if we can run it natively on our OS of choice. I advocate Linux as an OS because it has several undeniable advantages over the current free or non-free alternatives. When an OS that is better and as free comes along, I'll use that instead. It it saves me time doing stuff with a computer that I don't want to be doing and respects more of my freedoms - I'm in! Linux gives me the most of that now. If OSX became fully FLOSS and it became as easy to install with as good or better hardware support than Linux (NB ATi/AMD users), I might switch to that? I can think of several reasons why I would likely stick with Linux even if Apple did do that.

We have more than substantial evidence that Linux is a much better audio production platform than it was a year, 6 months ago. Now what we need are more commercial plugins and apps to get ported so that more people can opt for Linux / a free OS if they realise Linux's advantages as an OS, if maybe not for audio work right now. It's a platform starting to come of age.

Windows and OSX have the lions share of music software, Linux needs a lot more!

EDIT'd teh fook! It's a PB! :D

I've got to resist reading this thread now - I'm supposed to be recording! :)

xamido wrote: Here's the thing, top music company dumb down their product for the mainstream customer. It's the professional that actually uses the more complex machine.
In DAWs, I see feature extravganzas,(bloat?) and complexity,
more than dumbing down, which territory is owned by Microsoft and 0Sex.
Software that enables non-musicians, or lazy ones, to create music,
are still complex. There are many powerful limited-feature DAWs bundled
with various hardware, or offered as intro teasers at low prices.
Musicians who practice with diligence, can still create a masterpiece,
or music they themselves enjoy listening to, with or without software.

Even FLS has been shown to work in linux, although it took some concerted effort
in earlier versions of wine. Again, the divide between rich and poor
invites linux usage by the poor, of a free and secure OS, over old, insecure,
and poorly supported versions of windows, on the recycled computers
available to them. There are versions of linux -->designed<-- to work well
on such 'obsolete' hardware, while apple and microsoft abandon them,
to keep their first-world sales monolith rolling. And the petting zoo
of Mac releases, both hardware and software, are not exactly
setting the world on fire with widely acclaimed backward compatibility.

Linux is gaining industry wide market share, but in the audio sector,
substantive gains in linuxaudio, are indeed slow, but steadily building
on a flexible foundation, and one that invites creative improvements,
at all levels. Phoronix testing has shows that 3D framerates on linux
with nvidia cards, are now a little better than windows 8.1,
and a little worse with Intel

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... in81&num=1

so linux is in the ballpark, either way. Without solid graphics, audio production is moot.
The Steam linux project can expose a lot of gamers to linux, and a small slice
of gamers, are musicians, so some growth is inevitable.
Cheers

AstralExistence wrote:linux hardly requires the command line. not nowadays anyway.
I think distro maintainers are also guilty of dumbing down linux,
often a terminal is buried in nested menus, instead of being on the taskbar,
where it's power and flexibility will be immediately available after installation.
Cheers

What would make you switch to Linux?
If there was a nuclear holocaust and only a few linux machines remained in the smouldering rubble then I would switch to linux...

Here's a journalist, who laments can't even cover tonights championship series
in the normal way, because of a virus, and a faulty keyboard!

http://www.hothothoops.com/2014/6/12/58 ... -in-game-4

Guess which version of linux let a virus attack his computer?

...oh, wait! :P :roll: :P

You just don't get it. The professional musician would never use linux, because they are musician first. The mass audience would never use linux for audio, because they would rather use the software that the professional uses.

Why would they scrap the bottom of the barrel for linux when Windows and MacOS offers an abundance of resources? Proven track record, tighter integration with hardware, lots of video and written tutorial, lots of useful freeware, majority of audio professional are also trained in Pro Tools.

Don't go off topic with IT company using linux more and more, you're on audio and music forum. Convince me in the perspective of Audio.

And people getting virus is an excuses now for using linux? Lol, MacOS is also mostly virus free.

The only thing that linux have going on for them is that they're free.
musisikamar.com

xamido wrote: Don't go off topic with IT company using linux more and more, you're on audio and music forum. Convince me in the perspective of Audio.
Well, they can choose from 15 different versions of jackd :hihi:

glokraw wrote:I've never heard of George Martin...
:dog:
You can't always get what you waaaant...

So he uses 5 machines to do what other people do using one, and he spent what looks like a serious amount of research and time to finally settle on a setup. And he only manages to run Kontakt2 and Sampletank2 as instruments and he runs one machine as a reverb.

Yes, sounds like the way to go for your average computer music maker.

spaceman wrote:
So he uses 5 machines to do what other people do using one, and he spent what looks like a serious amount of research and time to finally settle on a setup. And he only manages to run Kontakt2 and Sampletank2 as instruments and he runs one machine as a reverb.

Yes, sounds like the way to go for your average computer music maker.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”