What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mysticvibes wrote:i really like ububtu, i was kidding bout my response but i still use win7 daily for vsti use, would switch otherwise
Can't you dual boot? I use Windows 8 for all my music stuff, but Ubuntu for all my day to day stuff.

robojam wrote:
mysticvibes wrote:i really like ububtu, i was kidding bout my response but i still use win7 daily for vsti use, would switch otherwise
Can't you dual boot? I use Windows 8 for all my music stuff, but Ubuntu for all my day to day stuff.
Dual booting is so 1990's. Smart modern people install only one OS and put the other inside the virtual machine that is separated from the host. That's way more practical and convenient. Hell, you can even run multiple flavors of Linux in parallel with virtualization.

I do all my multimedia work on Windows 7 and internet browsing in SUSE Linux that is running in VirtualBox. When you need to get serious work done Windows blows Linux out of the water but Linux is OK for general computing.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
robojam wrote:
Dual booting is so 1990's. Smart modern people install only one OS and put the other inside the virtual machine that is separated from the host. That's way more practical and convenient. Hell, you can even run multiple flavors of Linux in parallel with virtualization.

I do all my multimedia work on Windows 7 and internet browsing in SUSE Linux that is running in VirtualBox. When you need to get serious work done Windows blows Linux out of the water but Linux is OK for general computing.
But it doesn't keep my Windows 8 partition clean ;)

The main reason I dual boot is that I really don't want anything at all on my Windows partition other than music stuff, and I back up everything I want to do to cloud space (the client is one of the very few non-music apps I have installed).

I do use VitualBox on the Linux partition however, mostly to run Windows XP so that I can run Internet Explorer for the few idiotic web sites that only work on IE.

mysticvibes wrote:Dual booting is so 1990's
still a necessity in 2014 if you want to run recent-ish windows games on mac

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
mysticvibes wrote:Dual booting is so 1990's
still a necessity in 2014 if you want to run recent-ish windows games on mac
That's definitely where you see the advantage. Virtualization is good and all, but you do have a performance hit, and the virtualization of the hardware is still problematic sometimes.

I7 Sandybridge on an ASUS MB, with 64GB ram.

42inch hdmi monitor driven by the nouveau module in an RT kernel. (picture and performance is good)

Audio card is an RME I/O. The driver is mature, stable, already in the kernel. No need to D/L and hope it works.

Yamaha HS80 Monitors. (Great sound, imho, for orchestral work)

AKAI MPK88 midi controller, powered by USB. Works well, and i don't lose any midi data, either live, or step inputted.

With.......

Debian jessie 64bit, and kxstudio repos. (and i'm running this with the KDE plasma desktop) FalkTX continues to spoil us musicians with his excellent software system. Best of all, he communicates with his users. No corporate wall of silence.....

Wine-rt, and wineasio, both 64 bit.

Jack 1 (configured for predominately midi use)

Kontakt 5 running in Wine-RT as standalone, and/or VST in,

Reaper 64bit (in wine-rt)

Several thousand euros worth of sample libs, from the likes of Spitfire Audio, Sonivox Complete Symphonic collection, Bela-D, Sampletekk, etc. All running in Kontakt5 as vsts in Reaper.

I turn it on in the morning, hit load, and get the coffee.

Works all day without complaint.

It would work even better with native linux 64bit versions of Kontakt and Reaper.

My 2 Euros worth, and frankly, if you're as happy with win or mac, as i am with linux, then go outside and enjoy the sunshine. :) I see no need for a mud slinging contest.

Regards to all,

Alex.

I loved the 90's

fedexnman wrote:I loved the 90's

Totally man, the 90s rocked. We need to bring back new jack swing, ya feel me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNEgUPKxk7A

Shake and Bake hahahaaa

fedexnman wrote:Shake and Bake hahahaaa
Shake and Bake colony?

I'm in. Where do I sign?

:borg: vs :troll:

:hihi:

About the topic (always have to read it again :hihi: ):

When all, or the majority of hosts & plugins are compatible with it.

Never is a big word, but I can't see this happen in the near future.

I'm not a computer expert, I just want to do & try to produce :hihi: some music.

In all due seriousness I dual boot . If it wasn't for VST hosts , VST plugins that are Windows n Mac only , I'd be all Linux .. I may try these wine and VST bridges but man what a pain ..

briandc wrote: The applications don't make the music, you make the music.
In my case, the application is the musical instrument. So it's at least a collaboration.

A lot of people have "switched to Linux" without knowing or caring.

The Android OS is making strides into an application segment that's not even been seriously considered by traditional-minded folks.

Don't underestimate the impact of this wave of cheap, but very capable, tablets.

In the short term, desktop machines that aren't at least somewhat portable and don't have touchscreens will be rejected in the marketplace. In the long term, the whole idea of the phone being different from the tablet being different from the desktop being different from the TV is already something that belongs to an older generation.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”