What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow thread still rolling . I already ditched Mac and Apple . I like my Andoid Nexus5 phone , and Windows 7 i7 running Ubuntu too . Had an iPad mini screen broke only fell about a foot onto the concrete , I'll order a new screen to fix it one day . iPhone locked to app store and iTunes aaaa No thank you won't ever buy an iPhone . I'm done with Mac . Linux I love LinuxMint and Ubuntu its way nicer than XP and easier to install then all Windows versions its very usable as a DAW , but I just miss my VST plugins. So my answer is I can't because I just miss my VST plugins too much . Mainly Cytomic the Glue . Someone needs to code an SSL buss compressor plugin for Linux . I would've said Valhalla too but there is an ir-reverb lv2 plugin that is good enough IMHO . Not Valhalla but good enough . If your a synth geek there is ZYn and Loomer And DiscoDSP and then there is no.U-He .. So there is VST plugins . When I had a Macbook I.missed all the Windows VST plugins too .

EnGee wrote: I have i7 laptop and i5 desktop but my balance in the bank (as for today) is $2.08 , so am I a wealthy person? Oh I did a job for $60 yesterday, but the payment will be few days later.

So, Linux is best for PCs under $500? $300? $100? which one is for the poor? Oh, and for old computers (Pentium III or II), are you sure the latest Ubuntu would run with 32MB or 64MB memory?
Wealth is better measured by net worth, than bank balance.
Cars, real, estate, extra computers :wink:
You should buy some AT&T stock each month,
paying 4% dividends, Vs near 0% paid at banks.

I don't recommend ubuntu even for i7, you know you can do
a small fast realtime linux studio measured in meg, not gig.
Cheers

fedexnman wrote:Wow thread still rolling . I already ditched Mac and Apple . I like my Andoid Nexus5 phone , and Windows 7 i7 running Ubuntu too . Had an iPad mini screen broke only fell about a foot onto the concrete , I'll order a new screen to fix it one day . iPhone locked to app store and iTunes aaaa No thank you won't ever buy an iPhone . I'm done with Mac . Linux I love LinuxMint and Ubuntu its way nicer than XP and easier to install then all Windows versions its very usable as a DAW , but I just miss my VST plugins. So my answer is I can't because I just miss my VST plugins too much . Mainly Cytomic the Glue . Someone needs to code an SSL buss compressor plugin for Linux . I would've said Valhalla too but there is an ir-reverb lv2 plugin that is good enough IMHO . Not Valhalla but good enough . If your a synth geek there is ZYn and Loomer And DiscoDSP and then there is no.U-He .. So there is VST plugins . When I had a Macbook I.missed all the Windows VST plugins too .
If you install wine 1.4, and reaper, you'll likely have no trouble with U-he
and many other vsts. fsthost should also run the u-he synths, since they have
their own preset handling. fsthost needs wine, and launches .dll files,
which appear in qjackctl for routing,
and I link the oft used ones, to /home/me, so no paths need typing.

http://pkgs.org/debian-wheezy/debian-ma ... 6.deb.html

edit: The wine in your package manager will be newer,
and may work fine.
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ubuntu (latest version) won't run on a pentium III. You'll want to download an old version, for sure.

I was referring to Linux native not WINE and VSTs I've had no luck with Wineasio Wine and Jack / echo audiofire 4 interface .... stuff always locks up on me . What are people using for sound cards or audio interfaces that use Wine and FST etc etc ??? That work .

fedexnman wrote:I was referring to Linux native not WINE and VSTs I've had no luck with Wineasio Wine and Jack / echo audiofire 4 interface .... stuff always locks up on me . What are people using for sound cards or audio interfaces that use Wine and FST etc etc ??? That work .
The maudio pci cards, I've used a 24/96 for 7 years,
gmac, the AVLinux creator, uses Delta 1010's
The kernel module is ubiquiitous, snd_ice1712.
envy24 or the newer mudita version, are dedicated mixers.
Well worth finding a used or on-sale card for vsts. 8)

arkmabat wrote:ubuntu (latest version) won't run on a pentium III. You'll want to download an old version, for sure.
Ubuntu Studio 8.06 was really solid, all downhill since those
good ole days. You might want Puppy Studio1337 for a P3
Rt, wine, quite reaper ready, and a load of linux audio apps.
The iso files are mirrored here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

glokraw wrote: Of course it's 'a hassle' to customize and beautify a gui,
same for a car, a room, an antique, or a song. Effort is required,
and is rewarded. Config files are for system tuning
and choosing options, not for 'messing around with'.
There is 'enough' hardware support,
but new linux users typically choose to dive in with what they own,
and quickly crash&burn, then flame linux for years to come,
because they didn't do any research. Sadly, this blind leep
has been encouraged by some linux fanbois, promising valhalla,
and then too lazy to offer significant help, when the hapless
have failed at the first attempt.

As mentioned earlier, there is a divide between wealthy people
who can purchase, or easily save up for, expensive software/gear,
and those for whom that may never happen, or at least take many years
and sacrifices. I listed a very strong set of linux software,
that brings great creative potential, and wonderful sound,
without the commercial price. So linux will meet a large need,
whatever it's current state. It doesn't have to be for everyone,
but it should not be ridiculed just because some basic knowledge
is required, beyond the mouse and icon. The toolbox is open,
powerful, and ready for those willing to use it.
Cheers
Well, these are exactly the problems. It's amazing how Linux geeks can not understand that 99% of people are not interested in computing for computing's sake (as someone already pointed out above).
Unfortunately most of the Linux window managers are not beautiful even after heavy tuning. It's their design that is often lacking. There are many inconsistencies and some pretty stupid aesthetic failures (like different sized icons on same menu bars, alignment failures and such). On Windows I have never spent more than maybe 5 minutes tuning the GUI and I have never felt that I need anything else - it is just great well-balanced and functional design. On Linux I have tried every window manager and spent hours on tuning to get it good enough.
When it comes to configuring Linux then again - if I put my consultant or geek hat on - it's ok, but like I said 99% is not interested in it.
And why should I limit my hardware to some very specific and often older models to get a proper hardware support? Linux has come a long way as far as the most basic things like network adapters and such are concerned but it is still lacking in the most basic support for audio and video hardware. Of course one can do research and get hardware that has proper drivers but this often means you have to do with what you have to do. Not the most optimal solution.

And this is important - if I put my audio engineer's hat on - I do not want to spend time messing around with my OS and DAW setup all the time. I do not want to waste my time on fighting all the small battles with OS that are inevitable on Linux. Because all the small annoyances add up to one big frustration really fast.

The software problem is still real. Most of the software you pointed out looks and feels like it is still in the 90's (like a lot of Linux software). And if you do not like free and open source you can not even buy decent software in most cases. I think Bitwig is the first decent DAW application on Linux, so there's certainly is some hope.

The most ironic in all of this is that even though you have to pay for Windows there are tons and tons more high quality free and open source software for Windows. I think this is a point many Linux advocates tend to miss. Even if you pay for Windows you get to choose from a lot of great free software and plugins. On Linux there's often one half-decent option while on Windows you have plenty of good cheap/free options. You also have magware, giveaways and so on.
No signature here!

Puppy is good.

robotmonkey wrote: The most ironic in all of this is that even though you have to pay for Windows there are tons and tons more high quality free and open source software for Windows. I think this is a point many Linux advocates tend to miss. Even if you pay for Windows you get to choose from a lot of great free software and plugins. On Linux there's often one half-decent option while on Windows you have plenty of good cheap/free options. You also have magware, giveaways and so on.
It's not like windows freeware doesn't work with wine. My wine folder
is backed up, drag & dropped in any new installation, so there is
no tedious reinstalling of Native Instruments, IK, Cakewalk,
yada yada, the same basic setup has worked for years, circa
reaper-2.x, wine pre V1. Every year, there are multiple threads
here, about thinning out the plugins folder, just concentrating and
mastering a few great ones, rather than ping-ponging among
the masses. A linux user is not forced to use 'linux only',
although some will take that road.

Hydrogen sample player
multiple patterns placed on a grid, click samples into pattern,
click patterns into order. Export pattern, midi, kit, and song.
draw the desired sample velocity, replace samples, or build new 32 sample kits, from your wav/flac, panning and 3 fx for each sample.

Rakarrack multi-fx
Includes 42 fx, 10 of your choice at a time, in the order
you desire, save your raks and presets. Midi control,
resampling, IR, tap tempo.

Yoshimi synth
additive, subtractive, and formant synth, 16 part multitimbral,
built-in multi-fx per part, and master.

Calf collection
40 fx, an organ, and monosynth. Compressors,
EQs, modulations, filters yada yada

If thats the nineties, I'm happy to time travel.

You speak as if there were never driver problems in windows,
never a service pack or version/update calamity, never issues
with multiple .nets, blinking silver lights, gaping security flaws,
crummy commercial apps, insane upgrade quandries...
it must be nice. :hyper:

Actually, Linux is easy, compared to mastering
a studio full of software and hardware,
mainly just refrain from upgrading when
there is no real need to, read up so you're
able to fix things, and keep abreast
of what others discover. The same goes for any OS,
any worthwhile endeavor.

Bitwig has a tough row to hoe, to become
a better linux daw, than reaper. I doubt anyone will
ever code more daw power per per megabyte, than the reaper team.
It's nice that bitwig is native, but natives don't always
win the race.

Comparing bitwig to reaper is just wrong. They are two different fruit. :hihi:

Cause linux is a stinking pile of poo for people who's not serious about music but wanna be known as audio hipster.

Name me one mainstream artist that does everything in linux? Recording, arranging, mixing, and mastering.

It's not a serious OS for audio, it's a toy for hipster.
musisikamar.com

I sometimes like computing just for the sake of computing, but when it comes to a hobby like making music, I don't want to spend two weeks trying to get a driver to work before moving on to the next two week struggle to get something else working.. that is.. if you actually bought a soundcard that was compatible in the first place.

And that's describes every attempt of getting into Linux for me. From not being able to find working wifi drivers to series after series of graphics issues, touch pad issues to all sorts of other crap that needs weeks of going through forums just to get that shit working.

That's devolution, not evolution.

I'm sure it's all better now and there are more drivers and your system works perfectly and you didn't have to do anything blah blah blah but I don't care. You should, at no point, be aware that there even is an OS. With Linux you are ALWAYS aware that there is an OS. It can't help reminding you with every move you make, like a teacher stuffing text books under my nose forcing you to learn a new subject and you can't leave the room before you pass the test.

Well I left the room and gave it the finger.

I'll try again in 10 years time, if it's still alive then and on something other than a phone.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

EnGee wrote: Personally, I prefer a hackintosh system because more hardware are supported, and it is Unix/BSD/NestStep based (so, not much difference in terminal commands really).
Hackintosh supports more hardware than Linux? Absolute nonsense! How many wifi chipsets does OSX support? You can count them on one hand and still have digits to spare. Its rare to find a (wifi) network adapter that doesn't work under Linux these days. How many ATI/AMD graphics cards does OSX support? Very, very few indeed.

Installing OSX on non-Apple hardware is akin to installing Linux in the mid-90's. It takes you weeks of fighting to get anywhere, and thats if you're lucky enough to have hardware that very closely matches an Apple machine. Even then, you're likely to discover a raft of instabilities, power management issues etc that require a much greater level of hacking to resolve than modern day Linux (or Windows) users ever have to face.
EnGee wrote: I would prefer it if Ubuntu was a commercial product (the desktop edition) and got support from commercial hardware and software companies. At that time it would be a good alternative between Windows and OS X. But the 'freedom' turned against it. Few companies are considering the support for linux (don't tell me it is improving! For about 20 years it is still improving?! Not ready yet?!).

In short, for me, when Linux reaches the same support in software and hardware like Windows/OS X, that time I might give it a try. For now, it is just an experimental OS (for music production, graphic design and games).
It certainly is improving. A year ago there were a handful of commercial games for Linux, now there are over 500 available on Steam. This has led to Nvidia, AMD and Intel to improving their Linux drivers, as I mentioned in the OP, to the point where they're outperforming Windows and OSX in some cases. In a similar amount of time we've seen the likes of Bitwig, Tracktion and Mixbus appear on Linux. There's not the same amount of software choice as offered under Windows and OSX, far from it, but to say things aren't improving is provably false and I only see things getting better by the day.

I find it funny the number of people who say Linux is too hard to use or gets in their way too much. Conversely, I use Linux because it leaves me alone to get on with work and not be bogged down with the admin chores and reboots associated with keeping Windows in a usable state.

If my main machine was to die on me today but the drive was still working, I'd be able to grab the nearest working PC, attach the drive and it'd boot up like nothing had happened. Try doing that with Windows! This is due to the fact that modern Linux auto-detects and supports the majority of hardware out-of-the-box. Sadly, this isn't the case for lots of pro-audio gear but as I mentioned in my OP, this is improving thanks to iOS and Android helping drive support for USB class compliance.

If the drive were to die too, I could install a fully featured and up-to-date system in 1/4 of the time it'd take to just install Windows and do the OS updates. Then I'd have drivers, anti-virus and a slew of apps to install to make it as usable as the Linux install was after 10 minutes. Thats a full day of installing and updating versus an hour or so.

So its been said before but its worth repeating, when it comes to audio hardware and Linux, you need to do your homework. Most everything else works without effort these days.

You weren't born knowing how to install and troubleshoot Windows, hack the registry, know which AV app is the least annoying etc. Chances are your friends taught you or you got shown in work or school. I'd say spending a few weeks learning similar tricks for Linux pays off big time in the long run and a lot of these skills (in the terminal, the little that is required) transfer to OSX.

What do I think Linux is missing, audio software wise? I'd like to see more quality instrument / synth plugins, some good noise reduction plugins and I think many would appreciate a viable alternative to Melodyne / AutoTune.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”