What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stanlea wrote:
SampleScience wrote:You can run FL Studio in Ubuntu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1oZPfSXjo

Now, seeing this, I'll probably switch!!
Run, certainly, produce music,I doubt.
There's people on the IDM Forums that produce on Linux. They mainly use Reaper and Renoise. I'm not sure about FL Studio, I share your doubts.

SampleScience wrote:
stanlea wrote:
SampleScience wrote:You can run FL Studio in Ubuntu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1oZPfSXjo

Now, seeing this, I'll probably switch!!
Run, certainly, produce music,I doubt.
There's people on the IDM Forums that produce on Linux. They mainly use Reaper and Renoise. I'm not sure about FL Studio, I share your doubts.
Nistegmos, using Ubuntu Linux v1404

"I was also able to install and run FL Studio 11 with mostly success. It's MIDI input is a bit too slow for live input, but the step sequencer works just fine and even the VSTi's work OK too. Before installing FL Studio, I had to install the Windows Core Fonts that it uses (Arial, Arial Black, Times New Roman). I downloaded the fonts in the form of the original Microsoft installers which still run OK in Wine and get installed into the fake C:\Windows/Fonts folder. Without the fonts, you can't use FL Studio because the menus show up blank and wordless."

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=540

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
briandc wrote:
lemonsoundman wrote:Hi there, newbie here. Loving reading everything linux-based, you guys are a great resource, much appreciated. Am just making the switch from OSX and W7 to linux. So far using Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, but I now realise there are other audio-specific oses I can try.

A few years ago I started using Reaper and Audacity on Mac and W7 for commercial work, alongside Logic, Reason, Live, Cubase and Wavelab - my original faves. On my new linux only machine so far I have got Jack and Pulse Audio working, also using USB 24 bit 4 ch interface and a firewire 12 ch mixer, plus Midi keys. The PCI audio interface only partly working so far. Taking it slowly but for starters, Rosegarden, Ardour and LMMS look very interesting. Luckily now I am not under pressure so am willing to find new ways of working and I have a linux sysadmin mate to help out. I still have fairly recent iMac to fall back on but not continuing to spend along that route or W7 anymore. Also had problems in the past with paid for software anyway. I'm pretty sure this is a no-going-back moment for me. Also managing to play some great games on Steam for Linux.Hope I can learn and contribute to forums as I get going. Cheers.
Reaper works fine on my pc, so you shouldn't have any problems either. As far as the others (Reason, Live, etc) I have never used them so I don't know. It seems to me though that I've read other posts of people who have got them running fine. If you use VST instruments, many of those work just fine in LMMS. Here's a rolling list of VST instruments that run fine in linux (I've added some myself, and hope to add more in the coming weeks) : http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Tested_VSTs (http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Tested_VSTs)

I'd love to hear from others who know if Reason, Cubase, etc. are already working well..

brian
Thanks a lot Brian, looks like a good list. I originally started recording on multitrack tape so I am happy to muck around with learning new programs as it still amazes me what can be achieved with computers, especially since the advent of proper low latency high quality interfaces. I have done very complex dancey stuff and semi-orchestral soundscapes, but most of my work is with musicians who play instruments, a lot of live recording of shows and then syncing with video, etc.Don't want to continue spending on software, had nightmare with Adobe Cloud nonsense, so prepared to put up with slight annoyances on Linux software. LMMS looks just up my street, Ardour / Audacity / Reaper already had success with, and thinking of getting ReNoise. Had nuff problems with Logic in the past as I'm not very systematic or methodical, just want to get a good vibe for the musicians and have benefitted from serendipity resulting from computer cockups. Also I like to go in and out of analogue desks and gear, and run multiple computers simultaneously, despite the nightmare when having to recreate set up later.

Overall am very happy with Mint so far, put it on laptop as well as my water-cooled beast, finally erasing Windows 7 - a very satisfying moment. Ste

lemonsoundman wrote:
briandc wrote:
lemonsoundman wrote:Hi there, newbie here. Loving reading everything linux-based, you guys are a great resource, much appreciated. Am just making the switch from OSX and W7 to linux. So far using Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, but I now realise there are other audio-specific oses I can try.

A few years ago I started using Reaper and Audacity on Mac and W7 for commercial work, alongside Logic, Reason, Live, Cubase and Wavelab - my original faves. On my new linux only machine so far I have got Jack and Pulse Audio working, also using USB 24 bit 4 ch interface and a firewire 12 ch mixer, plus Midi keys. The PCI audio interface only partly working so far. Taking it slowly but for starters, Rosegarden, Ardour and LMMS look very interesting. Luckily now I am not under pressure so am willing to find new ways of working and I have a linux sysadmin mate to help out. I still have fairly recent iMac to fall back on but not continuing to spend along that route or W7 anymore. Also had problems in the past with paid for software anyway. I'm pretty sure this is a no-going-back moment for me. Also managing to play some great games on Steam for Linux.Hope I can learn and contribute to forums as I get going. Cheers.
Reaper works fine on my pc, so you shouldn't have any problems either. As far as the others (Reason, Live, etc) I have never used them so I don't know. It seems to me though that I've read other posts of people who have got them running fine. If you use VST instruments, many of those work just fine in LMMS. Here's a rolling list of VST instruments that run fine in linux (I've added some myself, and hope to add more in the coming weeks) : http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Tested_VSTs

I'd love to hear from others who know if Reason, Cubase, etc. are already working well..

brian
Thanks a lot Brian, looks like a good list. I originally started recording on multitrack tape so I am happy to muck around with learning new programs as it still amazes me what can be achieved with computers, especially since the advent of proper low latency high quality interfaces. I have done very complex dancey stuff and semi-orchestral soundscapes, but most of my work is with musicians who play instruments, a lot of live recording of shows and then syncing with video, etc.Don't want to continue spending on software, had nightmare with Adobe Cloud nonsense, so prepared to put up with slight annoyances on Linux software. LMMS looks just up my street, Ardour / Audacity / Reaper already had success with, and thinking of getting ReNoise. Had nuff problems with Logic in the past as I'm not very systematic or methodical, just want to get a good vibe for the musicians and have benefitted from serendipity resulting from computer cockups. Also I like to go in and out of analogue desks and gear, and run multiple computers simultaneously, despite the nightmare when having to recreate set up later.

Overall am very happy with Mint so far, put it on laptop as well as my water-cooled beast, finally erasing Windows 7 - a very satisfying moment. Ste
I think you summed it up nicely - different OS, different problems. No one OS wins all.

At the end of the day it's mostly down to personal preference, although there are some practical considerations. As I said earlier, I do all my internet browsing on Linux now - definitely don't do it on Windows at all if I can help it - keeps all the nasties away so far...

lemonsoundman wrote:

Thank you for the kind words! I have so much stuff on my linux PCs that keep me busy making music, and there's still so much more I could do too! In the end, I suppose it's kind of pick-and-choose and play with what one is most familiar with..! :)

I've got lots more exploring I hope to do, if I ever find the time. Time is my worst enemy these days!

brian
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

I think a properly timed hard blow to the head with a blunt object might cause me to switch to Linux. :)

debra1rlo wrote:I think a fat blunt might cause me to switch to Linux. :)
yo real talk
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Has everyone switched to Linux already?
Or should the thread go on for a bit longer?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:Has everyone switched to Linux already?
sudo apt-get update no

:hihi:
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
spaceman wrote:Has everyone switched to Linux already?
sudo apt-get update no

My other host is Bruce Forsyth

RunBeerRun wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:I think a fat blunt might cause me to switch to Linux. :)
yo real talk
:hihi: but it would have to be pretty fat

if that it comes with a computer
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Surprised at some responses.

Folks install Ubuntu 14.04 and see it for yourself.
Ubuntu is a full OS with all bells and whistles,a modern sleek interface.
The CPU consumption on my P4 from 2006 is much better than it was some years ago.
(well that's probably because it got better driver support :hihi: )

HAH!

Audio eventually will get more attention in the future too.

HAH!

(do you like my hah?)
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

i really like ububtu, i was kidding bout my response but i still use win7 daily for vsti use, would switch otherwise
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”