What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glokraw wrote:Aunt Suzy?!
OMG! You are having an affair with Aunt Suzy? :o

No, she's just my Caldera sysadmin.

If I was given a free pet penguin in the process.

A pet puffin would also be acceptable.

Lol, everyone can clearly see that everytime the windows and mac guy offer an objective argument (DAW comparison, Plugin comparison), the linux guy change the topic again cause they can't handle the truth.

And calling Synth1 an equal of Diva? Man, Linux have really blinded you. That's a straw man argument right there.

Diva strength is not its effect, it's the raw sound itself.

It's like you are telling me a cheap chinese knockoff Les Paul guitar can sound as good as the original expensive Les Paul if it's covered with effects.

What next? Slate VBC is just another compressor like your calf compressor? Echoboy is just another delay like your calf delay?

Enjoy your life in the land of inferior tools. Me? I'd rather use the best in the business.
musisikamar.com

But you are forgetting those poor third world kids!!!

How dare you!!!

//////------/////

So. We need to buy into Linux with all it's issues simply for what?
To be in solidarity with the Linux community against the evils empire...

What a joke. :lol: NOT...more like reverse elitism to me. :?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

eer, i think its more like who would you feel better to support, big empire and maybe crooks like gates and tim apple guy or people who give stuff for free.. anywho Linux got me out of a major jam recently and have much respect. I was able to salvage data files by running ubuntu from flash drive... works like a charm
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

For me to switch to Linux (god help me), every single app in my sig would not only need to run in Linux... they would also need to be Linux EXCLUSIVE apps.

That aint going to happen, so that's something I never have to worry about, TF.

I used Linux for a good number of years while I was studying I.T... even got my RedHat certs... and I'm glad to be able to not have to use it for serious audio production work.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

mysticvibes wrote:eer, i think its more like who would you feel better to support, big empire and maybe crooks like gates and tim apple guy or people who give stuff for free.. anywho Linux got me out of a major jam recently and have much respect. I was able to salvage data files by running ubuntu from flash drive... works like a charm
Good to hear you got your stuff back. ;)

People here are complaining that linux doesn't have app X, Y, Z-- as if it's the fault of linux. It's not. Developers can choose to port to linux if they want. Unfortunately for the linux community, they often choose closed-source systems, whatever the reason may be.

Fortunately, technology grows anyway, not just in closed-source environments. Today we have very good quality open source applications for audio production, completely free for people to share, enjoy and build on. This will continue, not because of corporate profits, but because humans like to create. Even when money is not an issue, people create. The creative stimulus isn't necessarily driven by the desire for making money. Some people create simply because they like to do it. It gives them a satisfaction of doing, of participating in life.

My hope is that people here will choose to participate to make linux better, and not just complain that it doesn't include their favorite app. Not satisfied? Find a way, start a project, do it! That's how we build a better world. ;)

That spirit is why I choose linux.

brian
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

Frantz wrote:What would make you give up email and switch to mailing letters through the postal system?
NSA.

brian
DistroWatch

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Yeah, but you're forgetting about the poor third-world folk. How else will they run all that good free software, like bitwig, reap.........oh, wait a minute :scared:
The issue is about freedom, not only something gratis.

Although, money is a very serious issue for a lot of people. So it's best to not make fun.

brian
DistroWatch

Freedom? Last time i check i have freedom to choose whatever plugin i want in windows, from freeware to paidware. If i move to linux i'll be shackled by less competent tools.

And i respect devs decision to keep their code closed. They spent time, energy and money to create their product. If they choose to keep their product closed source, i totally understand it.

And too much emphasis on corporate and capitalism, a lot of audio dev are smaller business that have excellent programming skill, like U-He, Cytomic, ValhallaDSP, Tone2, Camel Audio, etc. You think these people sit on their 20 story office laughing at the obscene amount of money they made and how dumb we are to fall for capitalism.

Linux guy don't understand that not all paid software is the result of capitalism machine. These people i mention can make more money if they become programmer for other big IT Capitalist company, but because of their passion they chose Audio. That's why i reward their effort with money.

You're making as if there's only big company like NI and Waves in audio.

This is an audio forum, don't bring Gates and Jobs here. Their OS have also become more affordable recently. Even Maverick is a free update.

And how is open source a feature for musician? FOR musician, not programmer.

And last, i have only one challenge. Show me the best music that you've ever heard that's made completely in Linux so that all of us here can see the result of all these Linux is holier than thou post.

(Don't go answer with taste is relative, you can show me what you think is the best according to your taste right?)
Last edited by xamido on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
musisikamar.com

*double post :P
musisikamar.com

briandc wrote:
Frantz wrote:What would make you give up email and switch to mailing letters through the postal system?
NSA.
I have terrible news for you. The NSA has been and will continue to read your email.

Fortunately, you can solve this once and for all. Simply take a sledgehammer and smash your precious Linux computer. Record to 4 track tape from now on.

If you don't have a sledgehammer, I believe the evil capitalists on this board would pool their resources to buy one for you just to make you go away.

glokraw wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Yeah, but you're forgetting about the poor third-world folk. How else will they run all that good free software, like bitwig, reap.........oh, wait a minute :scared:
Some of them save up for long periods of time, hoping to buy a recycled computer.
It appears the elitists mock and scorn both recycling, and a poor artists
aspirations
A.R.E.Y.O.U.F.U.K.K.I.N.G.K.I.D.D.I.N.G.M.E. !!!?????

don't be an idiot. :smack:

not once have i mocked or scorned recycling, nor ANY artists aspirations

briandc wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Yeah, but you're forgetting about the poor third-world folk. How else will they run all that good free software, like bitwig, reap.........oh, wait a minute :scared:
The issue is about freedom, not only something gratis.

Although, money is a very serious issue for a lot of people. So it's best to not make fun.

brian
you know, one linux user without a sense of humour (but with an over-inflated sense of how their os choice makes a politcal/ethical statement), is happenstance. two linux users without a sense of humour (but with an over-inflated sense of how their os choice makes a politcal/ethical statement) is coincidence. now we are just looking for the third, for enemy action. i mean i can't use the guy who deals with the internet in our area because, although a linux user, he has a good sense of humour, and doesn't have his fist up his own arse about his own choice of os. rather, he acknowledges that (although perfect for his line of work), linux really is not going to be the best choice for everyone

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”