How do i become a real musician?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote: so if until you're a virtuoso and it must be an acoustic traditional instrument according to the people on the street? So where do synths, electric guitars and basses as well as other electric instruments fit in? And when do you know you are a virtuoso?
Mmmh, e-guitars and e-basses have a strong visiual representation
in the media - so they are a sort of "real instrument". But synths and
other electronic instruments, especially if they are only software
are not "real instruments" - yes.
Hink wrote: No offense intended but I really do not agree with the people on the street though I am not sure who these people are :shrug:
People on the street are not musicians of any kind usually. So they
don't know the differentiations and furcations of the world of music.
Maybe you should do an experiment: Go out on the street and ask
people! You'll be surprised!

:phones:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

jancivil wrote:
enroe wrote:For some people on the street the label "real musician" is only given
to somebody who did study music at university.

Vice versa a composer, a loop-tinkerer, a PC home constructor, a
recording engineer or an audio engineer - these are not labelled
"real musicians". That is because everyman cannot see these people
anywhere. They're never on TV, they're not in the concert hall or in
the stadium - and so for everyman they are just not existent.
Why would a 'PC constructor' be labeled a musician anyway? Are engineers now musicians magically or through some sort of technological proximity, vis a vis KVR?
As "PC-home-constructors" I see those members here on kvr, who
have a DAW and compose, record and mix their songs. Sometimes
these "Bedroom Producers" invent fantastic little songs. And some of
them developed their skill in both: composing and mixing - so that
their songs are pretty little jewels - similar or even better than
expensive commercial songs.

To my mind such "PC-home-constructors" are not only real
musicians, they are little geniuses.

In the view of the man on the street these "PC-home-constructors"
are not "real musicians". They are not even "musicians". You'll see
everyman shaking his head - a sign of deep disapproval.

free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote:
Hink wrote: so if until you're a virtuoso and it must be an acoustic traditional instrument according to the people on the street? So where do synths, electric guitars and basses as well as other electric instruments fit in? And when do you know you are a virtuoso?
Mmmh, e-guitars and e-basses have a strong visiual representation
in the media - so they are a sort of "real instrument". But synths and
other electronic instruments, especially if they are only software
are not "real instruments" - yes.
Hink wrote: No offense intended but I really do not agree with the people on the street though I am not sure who these people are :shrug:
People on the street are not musicians of any kind usually. So they
don't know the differentiations and furcations of the world of music.
Maybe you should do an experiment: Go out on the street and ask
people! You'll be surprised!

I think you will find that the people on the street (or John Q Public as I like to call them) vary too much to cast a net over all of them in such a way. Truth be told I do not spend time irl with many musicians at all, so I do get the perspective of those people often. I cant say you're wrong at all, but I cant say you're right either. I hear both sides, I hear people who see a computer being used for making music as just pushing buttons to make music. I call these people ignorant, which is not meant in demeaning manner as I am ignorant when it comes to things that are not of interest or in my skill sets. People walk in my house and see guitars everywhere and ask "do you play guitar?" Usually I just answer with "naw, I just cant afford guitar hero" :hihi: (another thing I see is more people thinking because they can play guitar hero they play guitar)

However more important is what difference does it make what they think? Either they like your music or they dont, totally ignorant to how you made it unless you inform them. It comes down to the artist themselves as to what matters, for instance let's take the person who just pastes loops (that he/she did not make) together first, are they musicians? I wont answer because I have no desire to get caught up in the labels, it doesn't matter.

Then take the guy playing lead cello in say the BSO who has studied music his whole life, I think most would agree that he was a real musician. Do you think it matters at all to him if the guy pasting loops calls himself a musician or not? Both know the truth about who they are, what they can and cannot do. Beyond that it shouldn't matter should it? I guess if you're really competitive it might offend you if someone likes their music over the music of the real musician and that person might feel under appreciated. But it's like genres, some I like and some I dont...most often because it doesn't have elements in it that I can relate to (FWIW over the course of my life that changes, and that's great). I got no dog in that fight (not that I am in any fight at all), so why would I presume to be able to judge it. All that matters to me is if, I like it or not and I am free to decide either :shrug:

A while back ago we were discussing covers, good covers, bad covers...it's the same thought I had then. I believe it was a friday night, I live 30 miles outside of Boston and I thought "hmmm, hundreds of bands right now are playing covers somewhere, some good, some bad...none of which I am hearing so in fact they dont exist to me". Why do I care if they do a good cover or not, I'm not there.

I take this attitude with other artists, call yourself what you like, tell me you're better than everyone else, tell me I suck, tell me I'm great, tell you dont a damn about my music, or whatever (good or bad)...it's all good. It doesn't change a thing, my passion has brought me a lot of peace and harmony in my life and it's a very large part of who I have become...we cant change the past so what difference does it make? (I know I sound like Hillary :hihi: ) That bell has been rung, and it's been great for me. That's why I dont get the judging thing, I dont see the whole picture to relate to so either I like it or not. What I dont need to do is shout what I dont like from every rooftop, if I dont like it why waste my time with it?

What I find a little funny is it seems if you only used a computer and called yourself a musician we saw a lot of "you're not a real musician". So then they changed to calling themselves producers and we see "you're not a real producer". They aint got nowhere to call home :shrug: :hihi:

About synths not being real instruments? I'm gonna leave that one alone, I'm not sure some people will agree with you, especially those with banks of keyboards attached to their synths ;)

edit FTR the above is just me and how I view things, in no way to I intend to tell people what they should do. All I am doing is sharing things I used to help me become at peace with myself
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hey!!!!

Leave my synths aaaaaaalllllooooonnnne!!!!!! :x

Dang kids....:cry:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I doubt musicians are still existing anymore,at least not that i'm aware of.

Usually you don't see musicians around,they're disappeared from the night live.
Ok,the occasionally classic orchestras and a handful of jazz but that's about it.

Now,do i miss something?
Heck no! It's a thing from the past,get over it.Use a computer, it's much more fun.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Some guys simply don't grasp the concept.
If i can do it easy why should i make it complicated?
Go figure,good luck.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

trimph1 wrote:Leave my synths aaaaaaalllllooooonnnne!!!!!! :x

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Kurt Cobain , Early Korn I'd say are artistic but not Real Musicians ..... Joes Satriani , Yngwie Real Musicians but not as Artistic . Prince is a little bit if Both ..... Ive like certain songs by all listed whether Artist , Real Musicians or Both . Thanks for playing .... Real musicians Your never a master of your instrument fully and when you are an Artist sometimes you are pigeon holed to that one style that made you famous .

fedexnman wrote:Kurt Cobain , Early Korn I'd say are artistic but not Real Musicians ..... Joes Satriani , Yngwie Real Musicians but not as Artistic . Prince is a little bit if Both ..... Ive like certain songs by all listed whether Artist , Real Musicians or Both . Thanks for playing .... Real musicians Your never a master of your instrument fully and when you are an Artist sometimes you are pigeon holed to that one style that made you famous .

so you're only an artist when you're famous :x j/k, I'll get my coat :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

xNiMiNx wrote:
actually that looks a lot like Barry (trimph1), well...not the hair and Barry is about 150 years older (give or take) but they both have a face and a synth :shrug:

:oops: where did I leave my coat

xNiMiNx wrote:
Bravo! :clap:

Hink wrote:
fedexnman wrote:Kurt Cobain , Early Korn I'd say are artistic but not Real Musicians ..... Joes Satriani , Yngwie Real Musicians but not as Artistic . Prince is a little bit if Both ..... Ive like certain songs by all listed whether Artist , Real Musicians or Both . Thanks for playing .... Real musicians Your never a master of your instrument fully and when you are an Artist sometimes you are pigeon holed to that one style that made you famous .

I think a lot of Artist s go undiscovered whether good or bad . I think Amazon sells coats too . 8)

fedexnman wrote:
Hink wrote:

I think Amazon sells coats too . 8)
but who would deliver it?

You Pee S or fedexnman

fedexnman wrote:You Pee S or fedexnman
:hihi:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”