there seems to be no money made in music nowadays.

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Arglebargle wrote:if I didn't make music occasionally I would probably off myself. so I don't really give a shit if anyone listens or pays me.
+0.5
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Arglebargle wrote:if I didn't make music occasionally I would probably off myself.
Whatever happened to "as long as there's sex and drugs, I think I can do without the rock and roll"?

Today music is ubiquitous - inescapable - and is for all intents and purposes a mere commodity. Set expectations accordingly.

Speaking for myself, I ultimately do what I do for myself.

While I am always grateful and genuinely flattered when people tell me they like and appreciate my songs, if I'm honest that has never been what has motivated me.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

This was recently on Digital Music News:
The Music Industry Has Only Declined 3% Since 2000, Research Shows…
To read the rest:
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permali ... um=twitter

Yes there is a lot to question how the money have gotten re-distrubated but it still shows that there is still almost the same money circulating regarding money and music.
Now we also live in a time where the business models are changing and me personally believe that individual artists have a bigger chance of making money now than before when you were for most of the time in the position where you had to get the attention of record companies.
This is if you are willing to think out of the box and take advantage of all the new possibilities that exists.
So the first order of business is to get attention. Before you had to get the attention of someone that were willing to invest in you as a record company mostly. Now you have to get the attention of the general public directly without the aid of a big machine behind you promoting the music (and you or your band). So how to do that?
One great example of a band that more or less have and now is getting even bigger is Die Antwoord.
They have done something with artistic integrity and with a lot of balls to get the attention that they are getting.

So I know there can be a lot of knit picking in what I wrote above but I still think that the mainly it is correct.

Actually it would be interesting to start a forum with just the purpose of helping artists come up with new ideas /ways / inspiration of promoting themselves in this day and age. Or go and do your own studies of bands / musicians / artists that do make a living but are not part of the main stream... But the money is there the access is different.
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

Why should I have a soul I just want to sell it
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Indeed. Though, like trying to make money from music, selling your soul for music ain't what it used to be in the 70s, either. See here: http://drboli.com/2011/09/28/celebrity-gossip-9/

“One of these days I'll sell my soul and let them find out what they bought”

Seriously, who comes to music for the money? :hihi: Music is it's own reward. I've seen some terrible things in life, as I think most people have, and the only safe haven, where I feel I've returned home, is when I'm in flow with music and sound. It's got the science, the geometry, the maths, the spiritualism, the images and stories, the obvious and the hidden. To me it's all the other arts rolled into one, and while sound waves may be physical geometric constructs that are measurable, our human response to said structures are purely unique and immesurable. So to me it's a bridge between two worlds.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

AstralExistence wrote:double post.
Indeed, this subject is brought up quite often.

"There seems to be..." ?

Where is the data you base your assumption on, or maybe you are just working at Fox News?

Well, it seems at least like the author is making hay:
Paul Resnikoff is the founder and publisher of Digital Music News (digitalmusicnews.com), a premier industry source for news, information, and analysis. Digital Music News has quickly grown from its humble roots as a small, executive news service to the most widely read information source in the field.

Digital Music News is the premier news and information authority for music industry and technology executives worldwide. Our audience is comprised of highly-targeted decision-makers from every segment of the business, spanning major labels to artists to garage start-ups. We are also widely read throughout the day on RSS, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn.
So obviously somebody must be making some dosh out of this racket

I've just started making money playing music. It's cool and I've gotten some great opportunities. But I told my bandmates I would have played with them even without pay, I'm having so much fun and really pushing the limits of my abilities and growing musically. Honestly I sort of stumbled into this situation, it wasn't anything I got by "promoting myself."

I used to worry about being renowned and making money but when I stopped thinking about it, things changed. :lol:

But Martin Garrrixx and Aviccii can...

Lotuzia wrote:You can hear it anywhere for free ( Radio, TVs, even shops, supermarket)
Quite often I would be willing to pay for not having to hear it - think shops/supermarkets, especially close to Christmastime... Someone should turn it to a business model.

Back on topic, I love the new situation. We just need to wait for new stuff-sorters to emerge somehow, people who shovel through mud and pick up diamonds.

debra1rlo wrote:I've just started making money playing music. It's cool and I've gotten some great opportunities. But I told my bandmates I would have played with them even without pay, I'm having so much fun and really pushing the limits of my abilities and growing musically. Honestly I sort of stumbled into this situation, it wasn't anything I got by "promoting myself."
When you say "making money playing music", do you mean that you now support yourself entirely from "playing music?" Also, are you playing original music? I'm trying to get a sense of what you're talking about. I've played in cover bands and made enough money from it that it affected my taxes and I viewed it as a part time job. I've never made enough money from playing music, however, that I reasonably believed that I could do only that. FWIW, I also lost my interest in it when it became a job and after a few years, I switched to doing just original stuff where I found it much more challenging to find gigs that payed decently.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”