Best Gear Find You Ever Had?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I don't think I'm as lucky as everyone else, but I guess I'd have to go with my ibanez 1520. It's a MIJ model, with stellar frets, neck, pups, trem, body, sounds great, plays better. It was maybe 1100 shipped by GC (from texas, ye haw) and has the fab "team j craft" logo with the killer case. It would be worth more than that today. I don't know that it's a "find" other than they didn't make it anymore and I REALLY wanted one.

Still wish I could have gotten the sister model...mine is a gorgeous blue, the sister model would have been "poisoned pumpkin"

Ibanez GSR200 - $60

I didn't really play bass but for that cheap it was a good excuse to learn!

I got a Roland TD-7 for free as well. Just had to duct-tape one side of the rack.

Similar to a story above... I bought a '79 musicman sabre bass for $150 with original case, a couple of vintage pedals and 3-4 guitar cords (that actually worked) from a college kid that ran an ad in the local paper (pre-internet days obviously). Seems it belonged to an old roommate that had run out owing him rent and told him to "sell his stuff" to repay the debt. Still have the bass and it plays like butter....

That said, when I think of what some of the guitars I sold over the years would be worth now... well, the musicman seem a poor consolation prize.

chrisby wrote:Similar to a story above... I bought a '79 musicman sabre bass for $150 with original case, a couple of vintage pedals and 3-4 guitar cords (that actually worked) from a college kid that ran an ad in the local paper (pre-internet days obviously). Seems it belonged to an old roommate that had run out owing him rent and told him to "sell his stuff" to repay the debt. Still have the bass and it plays like butter....

That said, when I think of what some of the guitars I sold over the years would be worth now... well, the musicman seem a poor consolation prize.
don't get me started on the gear that has been sold. I had accumulated a lot of great guitar gear, then it all disappeared when I went through my "junkie musician" phase. i sold a supro thunderbolt for $100, and that was just the beginning. i'm hoping i see someone else in this thread post one of the deals they got from me back then. :D
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

Roland System 700 Analog Sequencer - Free.
This was given to me by a friend who had a complete System 700 synth and two sequencers. The one he gave me wasn't working but he said if I could fix it, I could keep it. I was working at a audio production company at the time and as Roland agents, I got sent a schematic for the 700 for free. I traced the fault to a dead 4000 series CMOS gate which cost me a couple of dollars to replace and, after building a power supply for it from parts I had lying around, that got the sequencer up and running.

Roland System 100 (main unit, expander, sequencer and mixer) - $400.
I purchased this from a friend who worked at a music store. The original owner brought it in to the store to sell. He had it in his studio since he purchased it but never really figured it out, hence the sale. I got it in mint condition with the original boxes, manuals and patch books.

Roland SH09 - $60.

Roland Juno 6 - Swapped a set of stock Ford Cortina tyres and rims for it!

PG200 for my JX3P - Got this as payment for repairing a friend's CD player.

Roland Juno 106 - Got this for next to nothing. The guy I purchased it from was the lead singer for a band I used to engineer for. He never got into it, hence selling it to me.

Hammond organ and Leslie speaker - Free. This isn't a B3 but it is a Hammond with a genuine Leslie. Got this from a friend who was the manager of another band I used to engineer for.

Crown ES212 bass cabinets - $60 each. These now form the bass end of my studio monitors.

Auratone 5C cubes x 4 - Free. These came out of a restaurant that 'upgraded' their music system. They are now the midrange drivers in my studio monitors (2 for front L & R and 2 for surround L & R).

A bunch of DBX compressors, expanders and tape NR units - Free. Got these from the music production company I used to work for. They were sitting around gathering dust in the repair room I worked in.

AKG C414eb (with CK12 brass capsule) and 2 x AKG C451e - Free! These were given to me by Carl Malone (owner and founder of CM Labs).

CM Labs MotorMate, MotorMix and Sixty Four Router - Free. Also given to me by Carl.

MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV, Yamaha TX802 and Digi002r, Audio Precision Portable One Plus signal generator and audio analyser - Free. More from Carl.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”