Michael jackson mastering/feeling

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

maudioradium wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:My absolute favorite is "Liberian Girl"! :love:
Yeah that track doesn't have any tacky sample stabs. Perhaps there were different guys working on it. Someone said earlier they had full teams on these tracks..

Wikipedia goes into detail about who made what bits.. quite interesting..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberian_Girl
Written and composed by Michael Jackson
Produced by Quincy Jones
Co-produced by Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson: Solo and background vocals
John Robinson: Drums
Douglas Getschal: Drum programming
Paulinho Da Costa: Percussion
Christopher Currell: Synclavier
John Barnes, Michael Boddicker, David Paich, Larry Williams: Synthesizers
Steve Porcaro: Synthesizer programming
Letta Mbulu: Swahili chant
Rhythm arrangement by Michael Jackson, John Barnes and Quincy Jones
Synthesizer arrangement by Jerry Hey, John Barnes and Quincy Jones
Vocal arrangement by Michael Jackson and John Barnes
Swahili chant arrangement by Caiphus Semenya[/list]
That's what I meant when I said in the team were "AT LEAST 20 persons"... :wink:

And then, I cannot imagine that Quincy Jones did all the mixing & mastering himself...

Furthermore, there was MUCH money involved. When Michael Jackson wanted a REAL church choir, they didn't use a Mellotron for it but indeed a REAL choir!

That was a different time of music. Quincy was more like a coordinator. I don't think he had barely any involvement in the techncial process. I think it was more of his coordination with lots of people.

If you imagine for a second ... just that Liberian Girl song and working with 15+ARTISTS!!! Not to mention the engineers, interns, secrataries, etc. You had time constraints, children, most likely drugs (or lack of), transportation issues, hotel & living situations, previous jam sessions, setup time to record, the myriad of contracts & legalities, etc. All of this played a part in the music itself. Quincy was a coach of a team with many talents which is what made him one of the greats.

Also imagine each of those different artists having an input on how a song was constructed. Just 1 guy who JUST does Drum programming. 4 different guys on 4 different synthesizers... each with 4 different techniques that coax out of their machines. Each artist had one thing they did specifically. So, that's like magic on a whole different level. Compared to now where in most electronic music, you have 1 guy making 50+ tracks, plus doing all the engineering. And not to mention, everyone following the same path of a few people, copying the same techniques, the same synths (and presets) & even song patterns... which is why most music sounds similar.

Getting "THAT" sound I think encompasses a lot of things that frankly just aren't done by today's standards. Back then it took a team to get THAT sound. Nowadays, you have only 1.. so just generally that speaks volumes.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Saukar30 wrote:Getting "THAT" sound I think encompasses a lot of things that frankly just aren't done by today's standards. Back then it took a team to get THAT sound. Nowadays, you have only 1.. so just generally that speaks volumes.
Yeah that's the sad thing. But there was much more money involved 25 or even 30 years ago, so they could hire only the best musicians. The music industry was at its blossom, MTV was a new medium to get publicity for the songs, a lot of record stores were founded! Millions of people bought cassettes from Michael Jackson, there was no Youtube, no free downloaders!

Nowadays even Michael Jackson would have a very difficult time...he would have to do everything himself, songwriting, producing, mixing, mastering, printing CDs, marketing, PR, tour planning, website programming, social media posting... :o

I've said so often that I HATE all these one-man-shows, and I'm one of those myself... Why can't we have production teams again and stop this neurotic individualism? :help:

Tricky-Loops wrote:
Saukar30 wrote:Getting "THAT" sound I think encompasses a lot of things that frankly just aren't done by today's standards. Back then it took a team to get THAT sound. Nowadays, you have only 1.. so just generally that speaks volumes.
Yeah that's the sad thing. But there was much more money involved 25 or even 30 years ago, so they could hire only the best musicians. The music industry was at its blossom, MTV was a new medium to get publicity for the songs, a lot of record stores were founded! Millions of people bought cassettes from Michael Jackson, there was no Youtube, no free downloaders!

Nowadays even Michael Jackson would have a very difficult time...he would have to do everything himself, songwriting, producing, mixing, mastering, printing CDs, marketing, PR, tour planning, website programming, social media posting... :o

I've said so often that I HATE all these one-man-shows, and I'm one of those myself... Why can't we have production teams again and stop this neurotic individualism? :help:
I agree 100%. The world needs a new band. (WITH FINANCIAL SUPPORT). I think if a team of independent record companies got together with a team of artists, it could happen. Maybe just once... bu it could happen. A merging of the business world & the artistic world for one common goal and one common cause.

LOL Sorry, I'm very idealistic... too many comic books & Wu-Tang albums
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Well, in the grand scheme of things, I imagined easily accessible tools, internet collaborations, and easy sharing are actually much less individualistic. Now there are more shows, scenes to be a part of instead of MTV piping in the latest name. I'm not saying it's better or worse, but I did think it less individualistic.
..what goes around comes around..

Linn LM-1 for Thriller.

I wonder if it was connected to a sequencer or just the on-board one was used for songs like Thriller?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXRw7WlwHJs

arkmabat wrote:Linn LM-1 for Thriller.

I wonder if it was connected to a sequencer or just the on-board one was used for songs like Thriller?
They probably used the built-in sequencer, considering it was 1981 or 1982 when the actual recording was done. Guys from that era marvel about the natural swing of the LM-1, I imagine that any of them would continue to use its sequencer even if they drum replaced it with better sounds of today.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”