New YES album 2014

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.yesworld.com/

Surprised me, as I didn't know they were planning an album for this year.

I would prefer a NO album. Edit: they have a track online already, I'll check it out. Doesn't look too ambitious by the cover.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I think its great that they will and can.

Harry_HH wrote:I think its great that they will and can.
agreed to that,
however that little snippet track doesn't sound too adventurous.

To quote Cosmo Kramer: Yes, it's just like a family isn't it :D

Would have been great to have Jon Anderson on vocals, but I guess he is under the weather these days?

The last one came out in 2011 I think and Anderson wasn't on that one either. I think they had a falling out. Their new vocalist comes from Glass Hammer which is a great band in the same vein. Prior to that they had another younger singer called Benoit David. I actually saw them perform in late 2011 but Benoit was sick and had real issues hitting the right notes... I actually read in the news later that he got laryngitis which destroyed his voice so the concert I attended to was the last one as they had to cancel the rest of the tour. His body just wasn't cut out for the touring life I guess.

What happened to that guy from Sky Cries Mary? I think their bass player was vocalist for Yes for at least a tour.

:zzz: the new Yes album reminds me of Granny's hen party. lots of cream and sugar and the coffee is coffein-free.
"It dreamed itself along"

mellotronaut wrote::zzz: the new Yes album reminds me of Granny's hen party. lots of cream and sugar and the coffee is coffein-free.
Pretty much any band that was around in the 60s and is still releasing new material is like that. Sometimes I wish those bands would stop before they get to the point where their new material is just pedestrian and cliched.

Yes, I'm talking to YOU, Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney!

Sorry, robojam... I'm NOT following you around, just that I'm (or was) a pretty big Yes fan as well, so I wanted to chime in... :)

I'm still on the fence on this new one, and I may (big "may") pick it up eventually mainly out of curiosity. On the one hand I completely agree re the 60s comment. How many times a lot of these older bands seem to be hanging on to a dream that has long faded. On the other hand, the part of me that remembers how it felt to experience these albums for the first time still hopes that they might just "have one more in them".

To me, it's a great shame that RW and JA are no longer employed by Squire and Co. Jon, did have some health issues for a time and was unable to tour, but I believe he has since done a solo tour - I think partly to prove that he could. This is Yes, so nothing is written in stone. Perhaps there is a future incarnation somewhere on the horizon that may still include Jon and Rick. One never knows.

In the meantime, there is every reason to suggest that the current lineup has a lot to offer. I think that Downes has a pretty good track record of his songwriting skills... though perhaps not necessarily on the same level as what RW and JA add to the mix, imo. Just different.

Whether it's "cool" to say or not... my very favorite Yes album of all behind Close to the Edge is Going For the One. I've always entertained the hope that they might have one more sublime effort to put out there.

In the meantime... they probably need the money to get Steve's teeth fixed. This is 2014 and not the middle ages! At least Jon wound up getting himself a set of dentures. :wink:

robojam wrote:
mellotronaut wrote::zzz: the new Yes album reminds me of Granny's hen party. lots of cream and sugar and the coffee is coffein-free.
Pretty much any band that was around in the 60s and is still releasing new material is like that. Sometimes I wish those bands would stop before they get to the point where their new material is just pedestrian and cliched.

Yes, I'm talking to YOU, Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney!
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Sequent wrote:. . . it's a great shame that RW and JA are no longer employed by Squire and Co. Jon, did have some health issues for a time and was unable to tour, but I believe he has since done a solo tour . . .
Whether it's "cool" to say or not... my very favorite Yes album of all behind Close to the Edge. . .
So who is in this "new" band ?

My fave is still Topographic Oceans
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

The last time I checked, I believe it's: Squire/Howe/White/Downes and that new singer that was mentioned in a prior post. (not Benoit)

(Kind of ironic btw, that JA got "canned" because he got sick and then his immediate replacement wound up getting sick as well. )

Mister Natural wrote:
Sequent wrote:. . . it's a great shame that RW and JA are no longer employed by Squire and Co. Jon, did have some health issues for a time and was unable to tour, but I believe he has since done a solo tour . . .
Whether it's "cool" to say or not... my very favorite Yes album of all behind Close to the Edge. . .
So who is in this "new" band ?

My fave is still Topographic Oceans
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

No more Rush albums either please . Just go on tour no new album needed ... Oh and no more KISS either .

fedexnman wrote:No more Rush albums either please . Just go on tour no new album needed ... Oh and no more KISS either .
Rush at least made some OK albums into the 90s.

Kiss didn't even make it out of the 70s before their albums got shit...

2011's Fly From Here was quite good with a lot of dynamic and tempo changes and good songwriting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tapx0WlouJM

my favourites are

Close To The Edge
Relayer
Going For The One
"It dreamed itself along"

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”