Why does modern electronic dance music sound like...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote:I like to go in and have someone make me the coffee, so they deal with the machinery of it and I'm not cleaning up behind it. If I had the money I would always eat out, kitchens are boring to me.

Today my preferred delivery mechanism for caffeine is Coca Cola anyway.
well deal with the music on offer or find a different place. no jazz cafes nearby?

kitchens may be boring to you, but at least it would give you something different to whinge about. they do say a change is as good as a rest.

if coca cola is your preference, how do you feel about these young upstarts drinking pepsi?

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
jancivil wrote:I never have. Have you? I doubt it. I think drunk asshole neighbors listen to something else. I've had probably as much experience with dealing with asshole neighbors and their stereos. Again, you strike me as someone flailing about, like I can't say it never happened makes your point
Really? Your obsession* with Frank Zappa extends so far that you can't see the wood for the trees? Thank Frank Zappa is unable to be "annoying" in certain specific contexts?

Gimme a f**king break!

* and it is an obsession, which is fine - I'm obsessed with certain artists too - but I can see how their music might occasionally be "annoying" in certain contexts.
You could have said Phil Collins...especially with that damnable In The Air song... :evil: :help: :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
jancivil wrote:I never have. Have you? I doubt it. I think drunk asshole neighbors listen to something else. I've had probably as much experience with dealing with asshole neighbors and their stereos. Again, you strike me as someone flailing about, like I can't say it never happened makes your point
Really? Your obsession* with Frank Zappa extends so far that you can't see the wood for the trees? Thank Frank Zappa is unable to be "annoying" in certain specific contexts?

Gimme a f**king break!

* and it is an obsession, which is fine - I'm obsessed with certain artists too - but I can see how their music might occasionally be "annoying" in certain contexts.
Straw man. Do refrain from telling me how I am. I'm annoyed by most anything I don't want to hear at the moment. I have things on my mind musically, is why.

Zappa, as I have shown via Weasels Ripped My Flesh, was occasionally interested in really ugly music to make an artistic statement. Beyond this, I expect you're 'annoyed' or totally put off by things I find incredibly beautiful. I grant that you could be annoyed by Black Page #2.
BUT! Do you find that Zappa is the music of choice for your drunken neighbors at 3AM?

The term you used was 'noise pollution', now it's 'annoying'. Moving the goalposts, cherry-picking, a straw man. It's not really very good, Andy. What's the bother, you think you're going to move me one micrometer from what bothers me?

vurt wrote:
jancivil wrote:I like to go in and have someone make me the coffee, so they deal with the machinery of it and I'm not cleaning up behind it. If I had the money I would always eat out, kitchens are boring to me.

Today my preferred delivery mechanism for caffeine is Coca Cola anyway.
well deal with the music on offer or find a different place. no jazz cafes nearby?

kitchens may be boring to you, but at least it would give you something different to whinge about. they do say a change is as good as a rest.

if coca cola is your preference, how do you feel about these young upstarts drinking pepsi?
McDonald's played this one jazz loop for a long time.

You didn't read the bit where I said I was free to leave? You're complaining about me complaining, yet there was a whole point to that. Are you high?

NB: Pepsi drinkers are missing out on the coca part of Coke.

nope not high. just wasting time while waiting on a friend.

vurt wrote:nope not high. just wasting time while waiting on a friend.
Don't forget to ask them about their thoughts on kitchens. This stuff matters.

Gamma-UT wrote:
vurt wrote:nope not high. just wasting time while waiting on a friend.
Don't forget to ask them about their thoughts on kitchens. This stuff matters.
ill try to remember, it is indeed important.
i personally find the kitchen relaxing and enjoy my time there, but i can cook.
and can afford a cleaner.

I drank some expired Coke once. It tasted like Pepsi.

My answer to the OP....if it "always" sounds like whatever, then you're not looking very hard. If you're always looking in the same places, expect to see the same things.

There's more music out there than ever. I almost never come across this kind of EDM except for the odd bitching session here at KVR or similar, and on the odd occasion that my mom has the freeview channels set to a radio channel late at the weekends (she likes a lot of the crap I hate in terms of modern stuff...yes she likes aviciiwoollywoteveritis, and ibiza-esque trance, but also brought me up on psychedelic music so I'm not complaining)

Oh, and I can't stand coke (or any fizzy drink, really) of any kind. Except for cleaning and stain removal - it's great for that.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

jancivil wrote:
vurt wrote: if coca cola is your preference, how do you feel about these young upstarts drinking pepsi?
NB: Pepsi drinkers are missing out on the coca part of Coke.
I don't think there's any coca in Coca Cola..?

A friend of mine is married to this colombian woman and they go to Colombia for a month or two once a year -- and every time they bring me bag of coca leaves. I love that stuff and I love them for remembering me like that. :) Apparantly it's sold in shops and markets over there, I really should go and convince my local shopkeeper to stock up some coca leaves.

Khat is also nice but really hard to come by.

Anyway on topic.. I'm like Hidden Goose, KVR is pretty much the only place I hear EDM (or more often, hear about it). It's a stupidly broad umbrella and pretty much everything could fit in, but I think what it means still.

I don't really know about the dancing aspect of it. I don't go to clubs.

Few years ago I did 'cause there was this band playing at this one really uptown posh place and I wanted to hear them so I went to the club. At the door, the safety guy (after having searched me 'cause I don't look like their regular customers) said it's going to be two hours before the band starts and I was like damn, what am I doing here. I don't drink alcohol and didn't know anyone there, it really wasn't my kind of place. For the heck of it I decided to go to the dancefloor, 'cause well, I do like dancing. It was this four-on-the-floor kind of thing and I don't mind, I can put on my best reggae moves on it any time. It wasn't long I had a circle of women dancing around me and men standing a bit further back with their arms crossed looking tough 'cause I'm getting all the attention. I think they hadn't ever seen a guy dance like that - and a sober guy at that.

Stupid dimwits. And they don't have any choreographies. The best someone pulls off is the Saturday Night Fever kind of thing. In dancehall, hiphop and even dubstep people do choreographies and it's a lot of fun every time.

And as for the music over there, well, the music itself wasn't bad, it was kind of interesting to hear it in the environment (instead of listening to Youtube at home) -- but I didn't enjoy that it was mixed without gaps and everything was beatmatched. It was like two hours at 150bpm.

And as for neighbours playing loud music.. Try waking up to Finntroll at 3am. Then come home from work and listen to some more Finntroll through the wall. When you think it's done, wait for them to put on the next Finntroll album. I mean, it's very good music, I have some of their records I inherited from my brother, but it's not nice music to listen to through the wall.

I don't like Coca Cola, these huge amounts of sugar are making me dizzy - if I cannot prepare a green tea (or coffee), I rather drink an energy drink. And I don't like the term "Electronic Dance Music" either, neither do I like IDM because what's intelligent in a few glitches?

What I do respect is Frank Zappa, even if I'm not a big fan of him - if I listen to rock music, then mainly to harder stuff like Rammstein and Nirvana...

I think there is as much boring (independent) rock music with the same power chords over and over out there, as there is much boring EDM music...same applies to country music... :x

Has this become a "noise" vs "music" thread? :hyper:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Noise for the win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJ-o_fh1B4

Even the neighbours love it.

trimph1 wrote:Has this become a "noise" vs "music" thread? :hyper:
Hopefully so.
Because that hasn't been done on KvR before, ever.

I rather listen 10 hours to real birds... :shrug:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”