Why does modern electronic dance music sound like...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

trimph1 wrote:Phil Collins...In The Air.
Terrible...especially when he kept playing it hour after hour...and he was twice my size...:cry:
Oh :o I've been tortured by that same song too, repeated endless times all afternoon, also!... here's what I did: instead of knocking on his door and telling him in person (cause I knew he wouldn't respect my request), I called him by phone and told him I was someone that had just moved in to the next floor below, and while disguising my voice, I asked him politely to turn it down because I had "a terrible headache and had to sleep" :P Idiots have more respect for a strange voice on the phone than for a friendly neighbor, so he stopped and... Problem Solved! :hihi:
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

Tricky-Loops wrote:I rather listen 10 hours to real birds... :shrug:
What, are you saying your noise is better than my noise?! You can't even modulate the bit depth on those birds, for crying out loud!! And imagine the sound of the drop they make! Ew! And if you record them, you kill their soul by capturing them in a digital file!

...actually, while it's off topic, I sincerely recommend everyone to try and sleep two or three nights with low level of white noise in the background. It can effect the sleep.

Noise vs. Music....oooo I'm so tempted to upload some more Prurient

Imagine having this shit next door at 3am! Bitches!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzoryTs7nMk

My neighbours in Moseley probably hated me. A lot.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

ras.s wrote:
jancivil wrote:
vurt wrote: if coca cola is your preference, how do you feel about these young upstarts drinking pepsi?
NB: Pepsi drinkers are missing out on the coca part of Coke.
I don't think there's any coca in Coca Cola..?
Sod the topic.

After 1904, instead of using fresh leaves, Coca-Cola started using "spent" leaves – the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with trace levels of cocaine.[59]
Coca-Cola now uses a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.[60]

In the United States, the Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant,[61] which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia. Besides producing the coca flavoring agent for Coca-Cola, the Stepan Company extracts cocaine from the coca leaves, which it sells to Mallinckrodt, a St. Louis, Missouri, pharmaceutical manufacturer that is the only company in the United States licensed to purify cocaine for medicinal use.[62]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola# ... in_formula

ras.s wrote:Anyway on topic.. I'm like Hidden Goose, KVR is pretty much the only place I hear EDM (or more often, hear about it). It's a stupidly broad umbrella and pretty much everything could fit in, but I think what it means still.
Well, the topic title is *modern* EDM. The Original Post has "it" tied to the incessant layering resulting in 'plastic kick', so my sense of "it" as an issue is exactly the same as Tricky-Loops' for once.

My complaints are pretty much about a certain thing I hate. Maybe I would have caught a reference to 'EDM' via my musos at Facebook, but it's ubiquitous here.
As a tag it seems to refer to some real shite more often than not, so it connotes a kind of stench unfortunately. All the threads about 'layering the kick', which I find kind of in the realm of 'polishing the turd' really.
It could be something interesting, who knows. But for teh ZenPunkHippy 'dance music' is electronic and maybe it has teh FOTF and maybe it does not have but people actually dance to it. :o

I wanted to stay to specifics but my specific problem became this rather broad "it" while the goalposts shifted on every point.
You can't talk about it as music because that isn't the point of it; then it's I don't understand it in the time of a pop song, it's like Wagner's days long composition in this regard; then it's only noise pollution in the same sense as Mozart if you don't like Mozart at that moment or _any_ music at 3AM unbidden. :shrug:

No, BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM is something I don't want to be assaulted with and I think it is not as beneficial as all that because 'look we're actually dancing (and you're not)'.

It's the soundtrack to all the commercials now. VICTORY!

jancivil wrote:
ras.s wrote:
jancivil wrote:
vurt wrote: if coca cola is your preference, how do you feel about these young upstarts drinking pepsi?
NB: Pepsi drinkers are missing out on the coca part of Coke.
I don't think there's any coca in Coca Cola..?
Sod the topic.

After 1904, instead of using fresh leaves, Coca-Cola started using "spent" leaves – the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with trace levels of cocaine.[59]
Coca-Cola now uses a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.[60]

In the United States, the Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant,[61] which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia. Besides producing the coca flavoring agent for Coca-Cola, the Stepan Company extracts cocaine from the coca leaves, which it sells to Mallinckrodt, a St. Louis, Missouri, pharmaceutical manufacturer that is the only company in the United States licensed to purify cocaine for medicinal use.[62]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola# ... in_formula
And there's definitely no morphine in the Might Morphine Powers Rangers.

sqigls wrote:but really?… EDM??

sounds like a label that a person would use if they had no idea about music and had to lump everything post 1970 into a genre.
hibidy wrote:
sqigls wrote:why do people use the term "electronic dance music"? Are you telling me any genre that uses electricity in any part of the process of recording, and then has people dancing to it, falls into this category?
I doubt it. EDM is about side chain, autotune, complete lack of dynamics, kick on the 1/4 note. I don't hate it (other than autotune) but I feel I can recreate it. Rinse and repeat.

I love electronic drums!
SO… EDM is in fact the misuse and abuse of techniques and technology…?
?

GeckoYamori wrote:I drank some expired Coke once. It tasted like Pepsi.
:hihi:

This thing is as focused as the original hubble.

GeckoYamori wrote:I drank some expired Coke once. It tasted like Pepsi.
^This guy gets it.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hibidy wrote:This thing is as focused as the original hubble.
:hihi:

A typical KvR thread, in other words...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Well, the other muso forums are no WMAP :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sendy wrote:Well, the other muso forums are no WMAP :hihi:
Yeah, but this one has a particular badly calculated lens :D

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”