Why does modern electronic dance music sound like...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote: The distinguishing feature this video has over your example of "dance music" is that people are actually dancing. Dancing being a key feature of "dance music".
The fact of the matter is, I posted a video of some music in response to 'post some music that makes you want to move'. So here's more special pleading.
Like you want to tell me what happened at the Palladium, '95% of the people are sitting down, you just can't see them. When I'm pretty familiar with that show and those videos and know that isn't a true story about it.
I remember watching him live on at least 2 occasions. And on both there was a hell of a lot of dancing going on...I would say 80% were doing it. :lol: :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

BTW....my wife and I met at a barn dance...you know...square dancing?!?!

Highland reels anyone?!?!?

Begh...
bunch of 'can't dance if it ain't EDM...:x :x
Barry

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
jancivil wrote:But let me be clear, I find that four-on-the-floor thing a bad sign societally as someone that was kind of a hippie when 'hippie' was a real thing.
It's a bad sign, like Elvis was a bad sign for music i.e. it's not a bad sign.
Elvis was a bad sign to people because IT DIDN'T CONFORM TO EXPECTED SOCIETAL MODES. It was too sexual. It was too direct and too Negro.

That has nothing to do with my statement, which, let me clarify some more again, is about four-on-the-floor and everybody in a club in the same uniform and behaving uniformly, which is encouraged by that thing. Again, I am not making anything like anti-dancing statements. If anything, it's more pro-authentic body response to MUSIC.

"bad sign for music"? I don't know what that means. It's a bad sign of the consumer in my estimation. I'm not the only one that thinks there is a whole thing here stealing oxygen.

I am not conservative musically at all; if we're going to get into music, this is not moving anybody forward, I mean come on. Skrillex et al and TRIPLETS? Maybe. :lol:
I think this is a symptom of something larger in society. If this escapes you still, I doubt I can do a lot more to convey it.

But do bash your straw man, beat him to death preferably.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote:While I did not say that 'I think you wouldn't understand that people don't always need teh FOTF', I think it says something per the thread. It seems evident to me that there are people that seem to gravitate to that and little if anything else for their "dancing".
To me, in 2014, "dance music" has a specific meaning: generally with some synthetic component (drum machines, synths, maybe human players but not always). It definitely has a beat, though not limited to 4x4.

That's not to say that people can't dance to other types of music, but the Anoushka Shankar video is an example of an Indian (classical?) Raga ...
And you're not going to move me to a position where FOTF rave behavior is something other than it is, as if 'no, it's 'hippie spirit''. I think you know almost exactly what I mean in every statement I've made, but it's better for you to talk to straw men.
I'd say the amount of "hippy spirit" at these parties is about the same percentage as it was at the height of the Haight-Ashbury scene, or any other free party scene: perhaps 10% - 15% of people actually living it i.e. real hippies, with the rest partaking in the revelry because it's a lot of fun, the vibe is nice and people are generally more respectful of each other.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
That's not to say that people can't dance to other types of music, but the Anoushka Shankar video is an example of an Indian (classical?) Raga ...
is that to say you can't dance to it?

In fact, it's about flamenco which IS dance music. And I guess I have to say it again, the OP there was post some music that even if it's not EDM inspires you to move your body.

So you wonder why I would think people miss my points? Great illustration!

ZenPunkHippy wrote:"hippy spirit"
HIPPIE. "hippy" is 'too big in the hips'.

jancivil wrote:is about four-on-the-floor and everybody in a club in the same uniform and behaving uniformly, which is encouraged by that thing
This is as true as saying "everyone at the Zappa gig is behaving the same way".

To the casual observer, yes of course it looks that way.

But like many things, it is necessary to immerse oneself - actually experience it - to see that reality is different.

Conformity is everywhere. Putting on a military uniform and gyrating about with a rubber doll is conformist in some way i.e. it's expected behaviour at the Zappa show.

jancivil wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:"hippy spirit"
HIPPIE. "hippy" is 'too big in the hips'.
The hippie (or hippy) subculture was originally a youth movement ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
jancivil wrote:And you're not going to move me to a position where FOTF rave behavior is something other than it is, as if 'no, it's 'hippie spirit''. I think you know almost exactly what I mean in every statement I've made, but it's better for you to talk to straw men.
I'd say the amount of "hippy spirit" at these parties is about the same percentage as it was at the height of the Haight-Ashbury scene, or any other free party scene: perhaps 10% - 15% of people actually living it i.e. real hippies, with the rest partaking in the revelry because it's a lot of fun, the vibe is nice and people are generally more respectful of each other.
Again, you would rather deal with something other than what I went to convey. I think I'm not failing that badly to convey.
My point is individual expression vs conformist expression and it is a reflection of the music. You're not going to make these equal for me, especially how you're going about it.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
jancivil wrote:is about four-on-the-floor and everybody in a club in the same uniform and behaving uniformly, which is encouraged by that thing
This is as true as saying "everyone at the Zappa gig is behaving the same way".

To the casual observer, yes of course it looks that way.
The Zappa show looks like that? To a casual observer. Everyone has their own moves, it looks like to me. I think you know quite what I mean.

WAVE YOUR HANDS UP IN THE AIR

If you really believe FOTF has no influence on the person, I think you're daft.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote:The Zappa show looks like that? To a casual observer. Everyone has their own moves, it looks like to me. I think you know quite what I mean.
No, I think you're judging something without having experienced it ...

When I run into kids who want to express "themselves" I tell them to find something they love...play it...then go after it.

Our public school system has a good music program here but it seems it leaves a lot of kids frustrated.

They want expressive freedom but ... :?
Barry

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
jancivil wrote:The Zappa show looks like that? To a casual observer. Everyone has their own moves, it looks like to me. I think you know quite what I mean.
No, I think you're judging something without having experienced it ...
Think what you will, I've said what I wanted to say.

trimph1 wrote:Namely it caused me to get my Satie records out and do some black metal versions of them...:x :hihi:
Oh dear. Now I'm going to have nightmares about death metal versions of "Sports et Divertissements." :o

Thanks! :?

You old people are boring. If every dance music sounded like the one that you prefer then that's very definition of boring instead. I like variety. I know that every dance music have its era. If i want some rave i listen to 90s, if i want disco i listen to the 70s, if i want new wave i listen to the one from 80s.

It's just trend. Now the trend is a bunch of chainsaw clashing with drilling machine. Just let it be, people will move on soon.

Taste is subjective.
musisikamar.com

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”