There are two kinds of people who make music nowadays

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1. For the money (boooooo!)

2. For the joy of making music (crowd goes wild)

Which are you?

I feel like the people who go for number one make modern dance music. I noticed a lot of pre college folk who tend to "want to become famous." I have been messing with music since I was 15 and it's all for fun. I have made a dozen songs but I mostly enjoy singing them to friends, than to make millions off records. Maybe that makes me weird, so I am asking.

I make music to get laid. That's why I started playing guitar, even though keyboards are my main instrument. Keyboarders never get laid, and playing those pseudo-guitar strap-on keyboards just makes you seem desperate. Don't get me started on hiding behind a laptop.

Seriously, I think everyone ultimately makes music out of a desire to communicate, to be seen and heard, and to receive attention. Whether it's the bedroom crowd or the O2 arena, that's what it's about. I don't buy this idealistic "I have a drive to create" thing, which is somehow designed to make you feel superior to vacuous, superficial chart toppers. We're all the same, we want to receive acknowledgement for what we do.

That said, there can be an artistic motive in there, as well. Art, of course, is what you want it to be, and I want art to be the attempt to create something that is a true reflection of yourself. Which is easy as pie and hard as hell, because "all you need to do" is to be honest with yourself and not stand in the way of your self-expression. "Wanting riches and fame" is most certainly something that gets in the way of self-expression, as well as "make something complicated for complexity's sake", or the popular "I want to sound like DJ X or Jimmy Page".

So there's music, and there's art, and when the twain meet, the heavens rejoice.

Er, what was the question? :lol:

I make music because the voices telling me to kill go temporarily quiet.

I AM the music, I was never faking anything.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Arglebargle wrote:I make music because the voices telling me to kill go temporarily quiet.
Doesn't that limit your repertoire ?
Like no death metal, hip hop, football songs or hymns ? :hihi:

nope !! there are many kinds of people making music :ud:

just to share a little piece of my soul with who want like it... in full artistic freedom... and also to find\meet new friends\people...

I do it because I can ...

I don't do it for the fun of it, because it's damn hard work. I don't do it for the money, because I make nothing from it. I don't do it for artistic expression, because I have nothing to express. I don't do it to communicate, because I don't particularly care about communicating. I don't do it to show off, because I'm not particularly good at it. I don't do it for the excitement, because I prefer quiet, soothing boredom. I do it because I'm a musician, and not to do music is unthinkable. Maybe I should change my name to Rincewind. :hihi:
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

I do it for myself... I'm not really bothered if people like it or not.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

i do it because i cant remember a time that i havent in one form or another
from irish folk rebel songs as a child with the local community to experimenting with sound now, and pretty much most things in between.

I agree.
It always makes me kind of feel bad for all the "#1s" when I see/hear them.
I imagine trying to make music as a job, beholden to someone elses ideas, or worse, the tastes of the masses, and all of a sudden its "a job", and not really fun.

Interesting discussion though.
For me, there is very little space in between 1 and 2.
Its extremely hard for me to allow outside influence to change my music 'against my will', and not feel like Im just doing #1...
LimboLoves wrote: I feel like the people who go for number one make modern dance music. I noticed a lot of pre college folk who tend to "want to become famous."
KvR is always good for a warped view of electronic music... :hihi:

I would expect/accept it more on SOS/GearSluts/etc, but here, with a focus on synths and compressor plugins, somehow not many folks have a real accurate take on it, and more than a few openly hate it.

Anyway, youre wrong.
Kids get into music to become rich and famous.
The genre they are attracted to varies as much as their location in space and time.

But I would agree that it seems there are more people attracted in that way than ever.
And, that electronic music is getting more popular than ever.
And, that making music electronically is easier than ever.
Dont blame House and Dubstep. Blame the kids. :hihi:
ImageImageImageImage

ariston wrote:Seriously, I think everyone ultimately makes music out of a desire to communicate, to be seen and heard, and to receive attention. Whether it's the bedroom crowd or the O2 arena, that's what it's about. I don't buy this idealistic "I have a drive to create" thing, which is somehow designed to make you feel superior to vacuous, superficial chart toppers. We're all the same, we want to receive acknowledgement for what we do.
+ 1,000,000 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :P

(Anyone heard of bedroom parties where everyone is dancing in the bed? Bunga Bunga?)

I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”