What will be the next DAW update..?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote:*Grandpa mode*

Well, kiddies, let me tell you that The Beatles recorded 'Sgt. Pepper' on a 4 track. If you can't make good music on a 4 track, give it up and go fishing or something.

/*Grandpa Mode

I hated Reaper, btw.
That was cutting edge back then, so they used that.

Logic is cutting edge now, so people are using that.

Imagine if Beatles could use Logic now. It would probably sound like the commercial recordings we're used to. :)

keyman_sam wrote:

Well, kiddies, let me tell you that The Beatles recorded 'Sgt. Pepper' on a 4 track. If you can't make good music on a 4 track, give it up and go fishing or something.

/*Grandpa Mode

I hated Reaper, btw.
That was cutting edge back then, so they used that.

Logic is cutting edge now, so people are using that.

Imagine if Beatles could use Logic now. It would probably sound like the commercial recordings we're used to. :)
Phil Spector would be an EDM producer now and all 4 Beatles would learn DJ'ing! :o
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The next big revolution will be cloud integration with DAWs - presets, sounds, samples, VSTs, all delivered to your DAW's doorstep with the touch of a button. Much like the appstore.

That, and better tools to do collabs. Record/Mix/Master from anywhere with anyone. Without having to render this and that.

keyman_sam wrote:That, and better tools to do collabs. Record/Mix/Master from anywhere with anyone. Without having to render this and that.
Welcome to the future!

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... t_pro.html

And hands up for Ohmstudio by Ohmforce!

Great. Will we have to credit the NSA for their contributions?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

trimph1 wrote:
HobbyCore wrote:
AusDisciple wrote:
spaceman wrote:.....Reaper was going to blow everything out of the water.....

:P
For my workflow and requirements, REAPER has succeeded. In all honesty, if a decent engineer cannot make professional music using REAPER, he (or she) isn't a decent engineer!!
Sure, after you spend a few years fixing the terrible default shortcuts, layout, skin, menu locations and learn sws.

Reaper is awful. :x
:lol: :x Reaper Rocks!!!!
Does not!

When I got REAPER, I took a quick glance into the manual (which is VERY detailed), and after some days of introduction I could start to make music. I didn't need to change or fix any shortcuts, menus, skins, whatever...

And that's despite the fact that I'm not a native English speaker and I could also use a German DAW with a German manual!

So when even I understand REAPER, it cannot be that bad that it were unusable!

On the other hand, I wish they would improve the MIDI editor instead of adding hundreds of new customization possibilities! There are too many features that I don't need at all - and 5 nice skins with all necessary features would be better than 100 skins that look worse than the default skin.

I never had to read the Reaper manual and I'm a dunce when it comes to the technicalities of DAWS. It's not as easy as Tracktion (which I came to Reaper from) but for basic stuff it's easy as anything else (particularly as it only has the one track type - I took to that quickly)

Hoping to see some movement in S1 soon - it's getting a bit concerning that development appears to have stalled.

So far, the only DAW that I really hated, was n-track Studio... :x

More like what new ground breaking Host feature will come next or are they running out of ideas ? Kind of quiet in DAW land .

fedexnman wrote:More like what new ground breaking Host feature will come next or are they running out of ideas ? Kind of quiet in DAW land .
Take your i-phone, smart-phone or tablet, wherever you are - at the bus stop, at the toilet, on the beach or in your bed - load your DAW with all synths & effects, connect it with your hundreds of musician's friends thousands of miles away and have fun! :party:

But then, do we really need everything everywhere at every time? What about some silence?

I guess with cell phone CPUs will only keep getting better and better . So I guess tablets and smart phones will be the next DAW . I have no need for it on that platform . You still gonna have big old midi keyboards , mics , bass , guitars mic pres etc etc . then you gonna pull out a smart phone to track on ? Doh ! I'd like to see live recording to the cloud in real time where people can play record stream live in real time and collaborate , but I don't think we are there yet I wonder if we ever will be ? Then I wonder if MS and Apple force an App store on us where everything has to be purchased through an App store or iTunes ? Basically locking the OS . I love my Google Nexus phone , it would be cool to have a DAW on it but it only has so much storage space , maybe in time these limitations won't exist .

fedexnman wrote:More like what new ground breaking Host feature will come next or are they running out of ideas ? Kind of quiet in DAW land .
I don't know about "ground breaking" features, but Cubase 7 introduced a lot of useful, and meaningful stuff, so i guess Steinberg is going to follow that path, and bring some nice features for Cubase 8.

Bombadil wrote:
Hink wrote:

/*Grandpa Mode

I hated Reaper, btw.
I believe actually they recorded it with two 4-track machines ;)

As for the question of the topic...I have been asking myself this a lot lately. 64 bit was important but now I ask myself what they could come up with next I cant live without. I haven't bought any gear in along time, right now I dont even look for gear right now, in fact you might say at this time I have run out of GAS. Samplitude as not been upgraded in a long time and I'm not in a rush for an upgrade, I likely wont upgrade for months after anyhow (that's been my way with Samp), maybe years...so I wonder myself, "what's next?"

:shrug:
Yes, Two 4 track Studers. The point being, that if we can't make great music with the tools that are out there now, the fault lies with us, not the available tools. When the Beatles did their thing, they not only had limited recording space, but limited access to new sounds, and they basically had to make it up as they went along, with Geoff Emerick's help. Now we have a complete sensory overload in terms of available sounds/fx etc to work with. I don't hear better music coming from them, though. I'd be perfectly happy if the manufacturers of the popular DAWs just fixed the various bugs that seem to travel forward from version to version. I am lucky to have had only minimal problems with Logic. BTW, even the stock sounds and instruments in Logic are perfectly useable to make great music. The main issue, again, is 'garbage in, garbage out,' or, 'garbage in, beautifully polished garbage out.'

I just can't see myself wanting anything more than what is already out there in terms of functionality. I just want Logic to play nice with whatever OSX Apple throws at us, and I'll be a happy camper.
when I had my 4-tracks (not two at the same time but I have owned a few) I use to do similar to what the beatles did except I would mix 4 tracks down to a two track and then rerecord that onto two tracks on my 4-track so I could have things in stereo (but I was pissed when I found out I didn't invent it :ud: )...it was fun coming up with ideas and work arounds to make things work so I know exactly what you are saying.

It's kinda funny you feel the way you do about Logic because that's exactly how I feel about Samplitude and they are kinda cousins...or really siblings split apart as a result of a divorce :hihi: I just do not even use that much of what Samp has to offer and I am still humbled.

I for one am very thankful that technology has grown at the same pace (give or take) as my understanding has grown. My first recordings were two mics, two speakers and two cassete decks..result? MUD, but I'm glad that is where I started :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”