Addicted to latest years' movie sound

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I noticed that on lovefilm (some german netflix) I only pick movies that came out after, say, 2012. It's about the picture and the sound, I guess the sound really. It is so perfect and dense that older movies appear just crap and sluggish and boring to me. The new sound really has an impact, it is powerful, it makes it fun to watch any movie. I have a huge sub that shakes my sofa. With movies from before 2000 it rarely does anything, with movies before 2010 it does something but it seems rather erratic. With movies after 2012 or so it really does it's job well designed and on purpose.

Anybody noticed this as well?

I think modern sound designers are really overindulging on the amplitude LFO trick. Whenever there's even some remotely sci-fi element on display, you bet your ass it's in there.

What is that trick you are referring to? Do you have an example?

Actually I totally hate the modern bombastic overintensive sound design. Add an annoying generic and bland "cinematic" orchestral score and you have a winner - annoying, boring and overdone steaming turd. Not only is 99% of the modern movies' music and sound design pretty much boring and generic off the shelf kind, the movies themselves are mostly complete cr@p.

And of course to some extent Hollywood movies have always followed certain trends that make them similar in many respects but these days it's worse than ever before.
No signature here!

I think more movies are in 7.1 sound, as opposed to 5.1...

:zzz: boring. it needs more dynamic changes, more experimentation with scales, more surprises ...
"It dreamed itself along"

CableChannel wrote:Hi guys,
I have a huge sub that shakes my sofa
Thanks god i don't live in your neighborhood :party:

robotmonkey wrote:Actually I totally hate the modern bombastic overintensive sound design.
+1

Everything has to be maxed out these days, no space for subtlety

If you can't watch a movie without it shaking your sofa, what's the use? Dialogue, what is that? :P

The sound on modern "action" movies really pisses me off. Its so hyped up its almost unlistenable.

One thing is the way they are being mixed down now. Some movies the fx and explosions are SO loud, then you can barely hear the dialogue. Luckily, my TV has this mode called Smart Sound, that seems to be for people like me.
My surround rig is packed away in a storage shed in West Texas and I can't find it...

CableChannel wrote:I have a huge sub that shakes my sofa
Really?

robojam wrote:
CableChannel wrote:I have a huge sub that shakes my sofa
Really?

:o looks like an EDM track on soundcloud ... this needs a true snake charmer

"It dreamed itself along"

CableChannel wrote:I have a huge sub that shakes my sofa.
Try a girlfriend! :wink:

Tricky-Loops wrote:
How'd that help? Still my job to shake the sofa then. :roll:

CableChannel wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
How'd that help? Still my job to shake the sofa then. :roll:
What about a boyfriend who shakes the sofa?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”