Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
mbncp
KVRian

1253 posts since 17 Jul, 2003

Postby mbncp; Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:02 am

Last edited by mbncp on Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
vurt
addled muppet weed

33796 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:11 am

ejr wrote:Are these 'guitars' available in the UK??
Yamaha Kembles site doesnt mention them and doesnt have a way to ask normal questions by email....but you can get a manual for your moped...

id like to see em in the uk too :-o
midi guitar capabilities for bout 150quid :o :shock:
weezer182
KVRer

6 posts since 23 Aug, 2003, from Toronto Ont Canada

Postby weezer182; Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:21 pm

I was watching Dave Letterman last night, and altough it was a repeat, Lou's guitarist appears to use one of these. They played Sunday Morning, and he triggered the chime sounds from it, it looked so awesome I wanted one right away. I have an ancient Roland Bass unit with midi-out, and it's absolutely
terrible, the tracking is awful. I saw Lou in August
of 2003, and he was also using one then, neways thanx for the post, now i know exactly what to get to
control plugins froma guitar-style controller, I am
looking forward to trying Plugsound Vol.2 with it.
Hotbop
KVRist

37 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Germany & Spain

Postby Hotbop; Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:51 am

Great review, thanks. :)
Didnt know about this guitar.
I normally use a gka2 with gi20 roland system, and Im happy with it. The only bad thing is the triggering of the low e and a strings which gives a little latency, annoying :? .
Googeling around for EZ-EG guitar, I found this comments:
http://www.best-hardware-software-shop.de/electronics/ASIN/B00009UVQZ/Yamaha_EZ_EG_Tutorial_Electric_Guitar/

http://www.shopio.net/keyboard_B00009UVQZ_ox.html

The guitar does go momentarily slightly out of tune every time a new chord is played, but it only lasts 1 or 2 seconds and unless you are acutely aware of tone values, probably won't notice the difference, it self tunes immediately.

:? ..what does this guy mean?

Would be fine someone could post a demo, to hear how it handles solo etc.
Cheers,
Michael
SecondSkin
KVRian

587 posts since 15 Dec, 2003, from Hangin' out with my 5 year old

Postby SecondSkin; Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:57 am

Hotbop wrote:
The guitar does go momentarily slightly out of tune every time a new chord is played, but it only lasts 1 or 2 seconds and unless you are acutely aware of tone values, probably won't notice the difference, it self tunes immediately.

:? ..what does this guy mean?

I saw that review before I bought it and it did give me reason to pause. I haven't noticed this behavior AT ALL and don't understand what he could possibly be referring to. I haven't even heard it with the internal sounds and such behavior is not really possible over midi -- when the guitar sends out a midi note 64...you get a midi note 64.

edit: I just spent a little time playing the internal sounds (which I rarely do), and I think I understand the "slighly out of tune" comment. I think he is referring to when you play legato (ie hammer-ons) you can hear the first sample being bended up to the next note, as opposed to a new sample being triggered. It does sound distinctly unguitar like for a split second. Still, it doesn't affect the midi performance at all.

Would be fine someone could post a demo, to hear how it handles solo etc.

If I could play well enough to do it justice I would post a demo (I probably will post one anyway). I can play nearly every useful chord, but I never learned blues scales (cuz I never liked blues).

virtual virtuoso wrote:On the whole it feels like a toy and that's what it seems to be marketed like

I'd describe is as "consumer" grade, definitely not pro quality (the neck bends waaaaay to easily). It is certainly marketed as a toy (they were originally sold at Shaper Image, if thats any clue).

And yes, it could definitely use a few more frets.

Mark
And all life's fears
Can invade my ears
I can handle it
SecondSkin
KVRian

Postby SecondSkin; Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:12 am

vurt wrote:id like to see em in the uk too :-o
midi guitar capabilities for bout 150quid :o :shock:

I don't think the pound is that strong, is it? They sell for $300 new on the net (when they are in stock).
And all life's fears
Can invade my ears
I can handle it
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

24792 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:43 am

$300 is a shade under £170 UK.

Which actually is 'about £150'. :)

My DG-20 cost me £60 off ebay, though.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:46 am

yeah i fugured f**k twenty quid for midi guitar capabilities and yes the pound is that strong :P
why dya think im buyin so many cds and vsts from america at the moment you fool :lol:
WhiteNoise
KVRist

194 posts since 4 Nov, 2003, from Philadelphia, PA USA

Postby WhiteNoise; Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:53 am

Ok, I need some advice from the people that actually have these. I'm checking them out, and I've found Zzounds.com sells the EZAG for 199$ and I've found amazon.com of all places sells the EZEG but for 299$. I'd ideally like to get the EG just for the looks. But what's the difference between the EG and the EZ? I don't really care too much about the onboard sounds since I want to use it as a controller. If there's no difference, I'd probably get the AG because 100$ is a lot cheaper and looks aren't that important. Can anyone enlighten me?
David Wallin - White Noise Audio Software
http://www.bleepboxapp.com/
(groove box for iPhone)

http://www.whitenoiseaudio.com/
(VST plugins)
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:55 am

tremelo?
WhiteNoise
KVRist

194 posts since 4 Nov, 2003, from Philadelphia, PA USA

Postby WhiteNoise; Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:55 am

Also, to people with DG20's - did any of you ever repalce your strings? I never use my DG20 because the strings are all floppy and that makes it a bitch to play.
David Wallin - White Noise Audio Software
http://www.bleepboxapp.com/
(groove box for iPhone)

http://www.whitenoiseaudio.com/
(VST plugins)
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

24792 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:58 am

Well, the strings on the one I just got are pretty loose, but I was thinking about trying to clamp them down at the top of the bridge rather than just retighten them. After all they've got nowt to do further up.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
bastien
KVRist

330 posts since 30 Jan, 2004

Postby bastien; Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:09 am

I've just found this on qvcuk.com for a shade under 200 quid. It's tempting, isn't it? Maybe a bit of guitariness is what my music needs. More chords and that...

I guess that's about the same as $299 once the customs & excise people have slapped an import charge on the damn thing (which just happened to me this morning - got the godfather box set, £25.99 from cdwow. Because it's over £18, they charged me an extra £8.54. But this still works out cheaper than anywhere in the UK!)
SecondSkin
KVRian

Postby SecondSkin; Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:26 am

I think the only difference is the tremelo bar and a few extra songs in the learning "curriculum". I doubt that you'll need those and $100 is alot to pay for a pitch bend bar.

I got my EZ-EG for $250 used so it was easier to justify the cost of the tremelo, otherwise I was going to get the EZ-AG and use a joystick or other device for pitchbend. That may still be a better option.

PS Vurt -- It's a blast to play with M42!
And all life's fears
Can invade my ears
I can handle it
IK Support
KVRist

62 posts since 10 Apr, 2002, from NC

Postby IK Support; Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:58 am

This is a very cool thread. Can anyone tell me how it plays? I have been doing midiguitar for awhile and this looks like a very cool alternative to pitch-to-midi.
Jason Williams / Technical Support
IK Multimedia U.S.A.
Email: jason.williams@ikmultimedia.com
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)