The Yamaha EZ-EG Guitar Midi Controller Thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
albertdev wrote:I am thinking of writing a .Net application to learn to play guitar (by ear.) Does anyone know if it's possible to interact with the lights of the ez eg guitar in real time? I.e. can you send a midi signal to the guitar that will light up a fret (apart from loading loading songs onto it and playing them via the menu buttons on the guitar itself.) Cheers, Al
Hi Al. Have you looked at the Yamaha song files to see what data is being sent with the notes that might be lighting the frets? There's a load of the song files here: http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/mus ... midi_files (http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/dgx_series/dgx-500/4113/1573/downloading_the_song_filer_program_and_free_sample_midi_files)

If you are learning by lights that wouldn't be by ear.

Just saying
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi everyone!

I've been an avid reader of this thread for a few years now after playing around with several Guitar MIDI Controllers, YRG 1st Gen, two EZ-EG's and a few keytar variants.

The EZ software by Markleford at http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/ezeg/ (http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/ezeg/) is fantastic!

Anyway, since updating to Windows 10 64bit and I'm hitting a few hurdles with the software and wondered if anyone else has these issues or workarounds.

The first thing was the register.bat wouldn't work because I think the way windows handles this has changed.
I amended the register.bat to "c\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe C:\location of MIDI.ocx here" and it seemed to work.

Now however upon opening YEZge.hta I get the error: Line 8, Character 3, Doesn't support property or method 'GetMidiInPortCount' in fnUtils.js

I've tested this on another Windows 10 64 bit machine and exactly the same error.

Line 8 in the file is: c = bMidiIn ? Midi.GetMidiInPortCount() : Midi.GetMidiOutPortCount();

Just curious if anyone has a workaround? Software worked perfectly in Windows 7 and I really miss it now :D

Peace,
Ivan

Fixed the issue above, it was the registration of the MIDIX.ocx causing the issue.

To fix, run command prompt as admin and type:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>regsvr32 "C:\directory where you are keeping MIDIX.ocx\MIDIX.ocx"

Hi all...just dicovered this great thread today because i've just aquired an EZ-AG and i've been searcing high n low for any info' regarding this little gem!. I have hit a snag though....i excitedly wired it up to work as a midi-controller via my M-Audio M-Tracks interface to Ableton to play soft-synths and i only get pitch-bend data being recorded??? Am i missing something really obvious here? Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated,
many thanks in advance.

I'm updatin my earlier post.....i've got it all working smooth now. There was an issue with my
M-Tracks interface - a drivers re=install cured it! :)

btw, the EZ AG is ace!

I'm only to about page 15 of this really cool thread...maybe someone could spoil the end for me and answer: have the two scripts (from mbncp and Markleford) been merged. The links to download the mbncp version in the posts I have seen so far are not working. But I was able to get Markleford's at: tencrazy.com.

Thanks,
Ed
Gaslighting...is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted or spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.

Hello, recently I bought EZ-EG, and I have a problem whith it. Often happens false detection, when I'm playing. In addition to the necessary strings triggering unnecessary. All owners of this instrument have this problem, or I only?

Hi Gang

How do I adjust the string tension? some strings are looser than others making unbalanced triggering.

I can't find how to remove the cover and I'm frightened of breaking it.

Any help much appreciated.

I forgot to say this is the AG model.

Neekeesh wrote:Hello, recently I bought EZ-EG, and I have a problem whith it. Often happens false detection, when I'm playing. In addition to the necessary strings triggering unnecessary. All owners of this instrument have this problem, or I only?
I've got an answer.

There are 6 piezoelectric sensors that react to the vibrations of strings. They are not isolated from each other, thats why this often falsely triggered. This is a fatal engineering error. Thats why production of EZ-EG was stopeed. As a MIDI controller - a useless thing.

Is there a way to isolate the sensors? On each sensor there need a system like "spider" which suppresses extraneous vibrations.

Neekeesh,

I know I read somewhere that there is a DIY fix/workaround for this, I just can't remember where. I think it is much earlier in this thread. But at 125 pages, it'll take some digging. I think it involved putting thick pieces of non-conductive foam between and on the outside edges of those sensors.

Fortunately, I haven't had that problem with my EZ-EG, yet. I was very lucky to get a unit that is in like-new condition. As far as I can tell, everything is as tight and responsive as the day it was new.

Otherwise, you may want to google for "Yamaha EZ" series, and go deep in the results. This thread contains the most information I found in one place, but it isn't active. I posted a question right above your first, and two months later still no response.

Good luck,
Ed
Gaslighting...is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted or spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.

EdSevered wrote: Fortunately, I haven't had that problem with my EZ-EG, yet. I was very lucky to get a unit that is in like-new condition. As far as I can tell, everything is as tight and responsive as the day it was new.
I also bought it almost like new condition. Do you think the existence of this problem depends on the condition? I doubt. Problem is in the construction. New EZ-EG has constuction as used EZ-EG. The only way, why someone doesn't have this problem, I guess, maybe Yamaha released the batch with fixed bug. I didn't see what there under the cap of your EZ-EG to make sure my assumption.

Neekeesh wrote:
EdSevered wrote: Fortunately, I haven't had that problem with my EZ-EG, yet. I was very lucky to get a unit that is in like-new condition. As far as I can tell, everything is as tight and responsive as the day it was new.
I also bought it almost like new condition. Do you think the existence of this problem depends on the condition? I doubt. Problem is in the construction. New EZ-EG has constuction as used EZ-EG. The only way, why someone doesn't have this problem, I guess, maybe Yamaha released the batch with fixed bug. I didn't see what there under the cap of your EZ-EG to make sure my assumption.
I'll be honest, I am not taking mine apart unless I start having a problem.

I do not fully understand the engineering behind the implementation of the piezo sensors in the EZ-EG, but I don't see how it could hurt for you to try putting some non-conductive foam, as I described above, to isolate the sensors from each other. If the foam doesn't work to resolve the issue, or possibly creates a new issue (like dampening the sensors ability to pick up the vibration from the strings), you can simply remove it.

Ed

Hey everyone!
VERY late to the party here . . . I've just purchased a second hand EZ-EG and read there was some software developed to modify the midi controllability? I can't find any active links anywhere? Would really appreciate any info on this. I'm on a MAC with latest OS so I imagine that's probably a barrier, I also have a Surface Pro running Win10 . . .
Cheers,
Stevic

mbncp wrote:>> Is there still a demo avalaible to try the EZ-suite?
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/mbncp/rr45gv ... E_DEMO.zip (http://homepage.hispeed.ch/mbncp/rr45gvbjkxx12/EZG_SUITE_DEMO.zip)

But it won't tighten up your strings :wink:

It takes some time to get used to the ez, but it really is a cool controller.
Today I had fun playing some Trilogy fretless patch that I "imported" in K2 and used it with the vst version of the suite in vsthost (thanks again Hermann, probably the only host that can deal with sysex and perfect MIDI timing :tu: ) and loaded the K2 script from the suite to get sample start offset on glissandos or hammers, muting open strings so I can "strum" a single string without ringing the others.

Then I loaded the free demo of Notre Dame de Budapest (really need to buy the full version) and been playing with both hands on the fretboard, setting fret velo to 100 and using the foot pedal to modulate the volume. A simple breath controller is also a neat accessory when using the ez.

Pure joy 8)

marc

For me, for the EZ software by Markleford at http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/ezeg/ (http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/ezeg/) to work on the latest Windows 64, it needs the MIDIX.ocx registerd with this command:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\REGSVR32 "C:\directory where you are keeping MIDIX.ocx\MIDIX.ocx"

All thanks are to 97mg post above.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”