Do you avoid buying plugins with copy protection?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Do you avoid buying plugins with copy protection?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:44 pm

I avoid Dongles
41%
I avoid Challenge/Response
21%
I avoid serials/key files
1%
I avoid all fishy copy protection
16%
I only use freeware
2%
I couldn't care less
19%

Total votes: 165

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not yet at least.

Something comes up every few years with Pace ilok and it will happen again.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Remember the Maine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

tapper mike wrote: I've never done the dongle thing. My boss who had 30 plus years in the software development business laughs that people would use such an archaic system.
There are very good reasons to use a dongle. I suspect that your boss lacks the specific experience to understand this. It's actually quite common for leaders and experts to overgeneralize their own experience, their position/title can have a tendency to inflate their egos.

I feel like a stuck record, but, the reason to use a dongle is that it makes the license physical. This allows you to use a single license wherever you need to use it. You cannot do this with the vast majority of C/R systems. If you don't need this, then you might not realize the value of the dongle. That doesn't mean that the value doesn't exist.

For some people this is a REAL problem that does not have a reasonable C/R alternative in cases where the vendor limits authorizations. If the vendor doesn't limit authorizations in some way then C/R has little value to the vendor.

Use what works for you

Dont tell me what to do.

:P
ImageImageImageImage

Yes. Copy protection these days is one of the main reasons I will usually skip buying a plugin.

I have pretty much everything covered so I do not need any additional plugins. So if anything that I'm looking at has some form of shitty CP I will immediately skip it. Even if the software is heavily discounted during a sale. End of story.

Also due to consultation work and from personal experience I have grown to hate all kind of CP. If you have one plugin that malfunctions due to CP, you can maybe suck it up. But these days dealing with CP problems has grown into almost full time job. It is not only the music software but software in general that uses all kinds of CP that is hostile to users. It all adds up pretty fast. Over the past year I have probably spent time worth of several weeks dealing with various kinds of CP related problems. Will any dev care to compensate me the productive time lost? So in short I have grown pretty intolerant towards any CP problems. If something malfunctions if possible I will drop the manufacturer or just patch out the CP by unofficial means. I'm not willing to take this crap anymore.

So whenever possible I will buy serial/keyfile protected only. CP is only acceptable if it functions 100% 24/7 365. Anything less is just not acceptable. It should never get in a way of a paying customer. Never.
No signature here!

cryophonik wrote:
jancivil wrote:is there no prior thread to co-whinge about copy protection at the KVR do you feature?
I think it's a requirement to have a new copy protection thread every week on KVR.
I must say I like that sheepish attitude! Paying customers be damned if they care about their rights, lost productivity and such! Way to go. :roll:
No signature here!

ftech wrote: I think a developer has the right to select the CP appropriate for them, just as they have the right to make their instrument look the way they want and have the feature set they choose.
That is certainly so but it should never get in the way of the paying customer. I'm amazed how many see it acceptable that devs are basically loading cost of protecting their software on paying customers.

PACE/iLok is the worst in this as it puts all the risks and cost on a paying user without any responsibility for developers.

Were any of the people and studios compensated for their lost time and money during the last big iLok debacle? Some studios had to let people go because of the extended PACE outage.
No signature here!

I never ever buy stuff protected with dongles. I had huge problems with a Steinberg one in the past. I can live with the rest of copy protections, even if C/R is annoying too. Serial number, key file and watermark protection are the best.

No dongles ever. Paying customers shouldn't be forced to jump through hoops.

I pay for all types of Plugins.

I don't care what their history is ... whether they've used protection or not.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:I pay for all types of Plugins.

when you are paying for it even more reason to use protection...oh wait we're talking about plugins, never mind :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
Aloysius wrote:I pay for all types of Plugins.

when you are paying for it even more reason to use protection...oh wait we're talking about plugins, never mind :hihi:
:lol:
No signature here!

You know what, I've been doing this for 15 odd years and not once have I had a copy protection issue.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

All the plugins I have purchased have copy protection.

Its a necessary evil.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”