Five Lessons the Faltering Music Industry Could Learn From TV

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A FB friend posted this link, thought I would share it here for us to discuss...some interesting points
Music is the only branch of the entertainment world to embrace progressively inferior technologies.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... om-tv.html
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I'm completely thrilled! Music is the best ever now. omg omg omg 8) :ud:
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

"Music devices sound worse than half a century ago." There weren't even portable music devices to judge by back then. Oh yeah, give me some tape hiss and crackle! Let's make everything sound like the Beatles! :scared: Nevermind that it was mixed for midrange tinny speakers and anyone can afford a subwoofer in 2014...

Hink wrote:A FB friend posted this link, thought I would share it here for us to discuss...some interesting points
Music is the only branch of the entertainment world to embrace progressively inferior technologies.
@

1) No and it's already been done. Musical lyrics that are POPULAR are mostly sleeeze. That's "adult" but the buzz in music has always been about the younger generation. Who do you think got the adults to market all that sleeeze???? ;)

2) GTA was an adult theme video game that was marketed to kids. It was mom and dad giving up their moral compass to have their kids be "cool". Now I know what you are thinking.......that IS marketing for adults that trickles down to kids. But in the end, these idiots KNEW what they were doing and were indeed....marketing to kids. Nope. Not buying it.

3) Try starting a thread about how something sounds or what cables to use. Exactly, nobody cares.......except maybe neil young.

4) False.......and laughable. No, FOLLOW the tired/tried formula. Make dat mad cash. Oh BTW, TV is doing that. All of "those" "adult" shows? They are nearly carbon-copies of each other. Filth, greed, sex, violence, rinse/repeat. That's what rap is, and most of pop :shrug: Number 4 is downright insulting.

5) They already do. The music industry is mostly the best of the best. It's not like rebecca black where you can break into the scene with nothing and last. 30 seconds to mars, grouplove, chvrches, lady gaga........love 'em or hate 'em.....they've got talent.

In the end, it will iron itself out. The creme rises one way or the other. What's popular is IN, what is old or tired is not (except rap.......which is always popular)

people still watch tv? :o :o :lol: :lol: :P :P
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

hibidy wrote:
Hink wrote:A FB friend posted this link, thought I would share it here for us to discuss...some interesting points
@

1) No and it's already been done. Musical lyrics that are POPULAR are mostly sleeeze. That's "adult" but the buzz in music has always been about the younger generation. Who do you think got the adults to market all that sleeeze???? ;)
I don't agree with this completely. I still listen to a LOT of new music. I just don't have to pay for it, and I don't mean file copying, I'm talking legal means. I've made essentially the same argument before. Do you know what you have to do to get me to pay for a subscription service, you have to play too many commercials in between music that I really want to listen to.

dup

ghettosynth wrote:
hibidy wrote:
@

I don't agree with this completely. I still listen to a LOT of new music. I just don't have to pay for it, and I don't mean file copying, I'm talking legal means. I've made essentially the same argument before. Do you know what you have to do to get me to pay for a subscription service, you have to play too many commercials in between music that I really want to listen to.
I didn't say that people don't listen to new music. There are MANY MANY pallets to choose from. What I'm saying is that kids are still the main target. If kids were not driving up and down the street and talking on twitter about things I can't mention here, then there wouldn't be the suckcess there is. Yeah, I use "legal" "free" means to listen to music too.

To be successful, you have to be good. You have to offer something that people want. Rebecca black is the anti-music industry. She was an internet phenomenon that was mostly hated. That is a rarity. The successful stuff (and it's not just pop/rap) is that way because people dig it. Tours and such provide the cash mostly these days. Word of mouth and "did you see that show" and the internet provides buzz.......which easily can equal dollars. Record sales? Forget about it :lol: Those days are LONG over.

But kidz still rule. I'm not saying 12 y/o's.....but certainly the younger and probably NOT working yet crowd.

Maybe I should have just skipped the long emotional-ish blurb and just said this:

I think personally, that that is more about the author and HIS/HER personal views than about any advice that the "music industry" would actually consider.......and that it's not valid anyways :hihi:

The basic cable channels and pay cable have learned to flourish by providing dramatic LONG FORM programming, often based on literature and/or history. Many of them are adult dramas, which doesn't just mean cussing and boobs. It can mean complex. hard-hitting stories; and action and dialogue quite a bit above the network drama cliches. And it is often provided in a format where an entire season can be consumed in one sitting, which a lot of people, myself included, like to do.

I have no idea what type of product the purveyors of three-minute symphonies can provide that is even slightly similar. Radio used to provide some kind of stream, but since the time that playlist radio became dominant, radio has lost all viability. Except for college radio.

Edit: And when the FCC's low-power FM plan was made real, most of the bandwidth was allotted to low power religious stations, which swamped out many of the low-power college stations. Case in point - when I lived in Manhattan, NY, I was able to receive WSOU out of South Orange, NJ (all heavy metal all the time, the best radio station I ever heard). When the FCC low-power plan took effect, a Dominican evangelical station in Washington Heights, NY, began broadcasting on the same frequency and much of Manhattan lost access to WSOU.
Last edited by SODDI on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hibidy wrote:Maybe I should have just skipped the long emotional-ish blurb and just said this:

I think personally, that that is more about the author and HIS/HER personal views than about any advice that the "music industry" would actually consider.......and that it's not valid anyways :hihi:
Yeah, I get that too, but, I think that the general sentiment has some value, that is, the music industry is doing the same thing that it's always done and whining about file copying when file copying isn't really the only or even the main problem. I don't copy music illegally, and I don't buy music. I still consume a lot of new music though. The article is right about TV as well, new TV is much better than it used to be. I have watched a number of series on the various subscription services that I pay for every month.

Anyone remember this from the 80s?

SODDI wrote:I was able to receive WSOU out of South Orange, NJ (all heavy metal all the time, the best radio station I ever heard).
WSOU is still going strong, its the only radio station i listen to, for the past, i dont know how long. Still hear good music, learn about new stuff i wouldnt have come across otherwise. They do play religious stuff on sundays, but other than that, still worth listening to.

www.wsou.com and they link to http://www.iheart.com/live/WSOU-895-FM-5252/ for steam listening.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

SODDI wrote:Anyone remember this from the 80s?

Well, see......they were right :hihi:

Radio killed the music industry.*

6 companies control 90% of the U.S. radio market. Their music stations playlist an extremely limited number of songs by an extremely limited number of artists. Most of those songs are 20-50 years old. And the radio stations are segregated into racial "markets".

Every year more of those music stations are switching to a talk radio format.

The major musicians you will never hear on the air far outnumber the artists you will hear on the radio. The styles of music you will never hear on the air far outnumbers the styles of music you will hear.

Meanwhile, the number of bricks-and-mortar retail outlets for CDs has plummeted. With the demise of Borders and imminent demise of Barnes & Noble, the main CD outlets in much of America are Walmart and Target, who don't carry much of anything. And a good portion of what they do carry is "Best of" collections, not full album CDs**. Walmart also has censorship issues, demanding special edits of music if they are to carry the CDs.

So, you can't hear anything new or interesting on commercial radio and you can't go browse for any new or interesting CDs at your local retail outlet. What do you do?

I firmly believe that most people who start "illegally" downloading music from the internet or friends do so because they simply want to hear the music. After that, human nature takes over, hoarding mentality, being the one with the most files, etc. But still, if it is easier to download .mp3 files of an artist's new CD than to buy an artist's new CD there is no contest.

*But not college stations.
**These always include enhanced and stereoized remasters or severely bowdlerized versions - check the copy of Bowie's "Heroes" you've been listening to. Is it short by 3 minutes compared to the album cut?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”