Nobody appreciates small time electronic music makers/electronic musician for most is a lonely life

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tehlord wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
tehlord wrote:Maybe it's because learning a guitar takes time and dedication and making electronic music is relatively easy.
It depends on what standard you are holding the electronic music too.

I mean it's simple enough to grab a guitar and bash out a few chords. Early Punk demonstrated just how easy it was. American punk is huge, but I would consider most of it to be 'pop punk'. But the songs are still simple enough.

While it's easy enough to get an electronic set up going in your bedroom. To get really good, takes years. But the standard I'm talking about here would be 90's Darkside Drum and Bass. Which is considered by many to be the apex electronic music production.
Being an electronic musician requires absolutely no prior skill. There is no technique as such, no muscle memory that you HAVE to take time to learn. You can simply click away with a mouse and theoretically get 'ok' with trial and error.

Learning to be a musician that can actually play an instrument is not even remotely comparable.

Learning to become good at both takes a fairly equal amount of time however.
True, but 'ok' just wouldn't cut it.... Not against todays standard. I mean, you have to be a good producer to be noticed. That's one of the unfortunate things about the modern music industry. But they do have to be a bit of a jack of all trades too. After all they have to learn everything. Synthesis, drum programing, mixing, production... The list goes on and on.

But excellent guitarists are 10 a penny... All those heavy metal kids, who are in their 20's and 30's now, and who have been practicing three hours a day since they were 13.
Last edited by Robmobius on Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

This is new information? They warned about the few being able to enter through the narrow gate for thousand of years.

Gee whiz I like what they sell! :love:
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Robmobius wrote:
tehlord wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
tehlord wrote:Maybe it's because learning a guitar takes time and dedication and making electronic music is relatively easy.
It depends on what standard you are holding the electronic music too.

I mean it's simple enough to grab a guitar and bash out a few chords. Early Punk demonstrated just how easy it was. American punk is huge, but I would consider most of it to be 'pop punk'. But the songs are still simple enough.

While it's easy enough to get an electronic set up going in your bedroom. To get really good, takes years. But the standard I'm talking about here would be 90's Darkside Drum and Bass. Which is considered by many to be the apex electronic music production.
Being an electronic musician requires absolutely no prior skill. There is no technique as such, no muscle memory that you HAVE to take time to learn. You can simply click away with a mouse and theoretically get 'ok' with trial and error.

Learning to be a musician that can actually play an instrument is not even remotely comparable.

Learning to become good at both takes a fairly equal amount of time however.
True, but 'ok' just wouldn't cut it.... Not against the standard. I mean, you have to be a good producer to be noticed. That's one of the unfortunate things about the modern music industry. But they do have to be a bit of a jack of all trades too. After all they have to learn everything. Synthesis, drum programing, mixing, production... The list goes on and on.

But excellent guitarists are 10 a penny... All those heavy metal kids, who are in their 20's and 30's now, and who have been practicing three hours a day since they were 13.
+1
[Insert Signature Here]

Naer wrote:You'd get tons more respect with mediocre guitar playing is seems. Maybe we're ahead of our time?
Given musical electronics are several decades old, being ahead of the times doesn't really seem feasible.

There's already been the point of people understanding the type of discipline that goes into learning an instrument, both physically and mentally and why most people are naturally going to be able to appreciate that skill on a more intuitive level.

But my question (and take this in the friendliest, most well-meaning way possible, because that's how it is intended): why does anyone have to appreciate you or anyone else as a small time electronic musician, or even a big time electronic musician? What do you or they bring to the table, what real value is being contributed to the world? Come up with the answer to that question, and I guarantee that you won't feel the need to complain to other people online about the amount of respect you or someone else is receiving.

KBSoundSmith wrote:
Naer wrote:You'd get tons more respect with mediocre guitar playing is seems. Maybe we're ahead of our time?
Given musical electronics are several decades old, being ahead of the times doesn't really seem feasible.

There's already been the point of people understanding the type of discipline that goes into learning an instrument, both physically and mentally and why most people are naturally going to be able to appreciate that skill on a more intuitive level.

But my question (and take this in the friendliest, most well-meaning way possible, because that's how it is intended): why does anyone have to appreciate you or anyone else as a small time electronic musician, or even a big time electronic musician? What do you or they bring to the table, what real value is being contributed to the world? Come up with the answer to that question, and I guarantee that you won't feel the need to complain to other people online about the amount of respect you or someone else is receiving.
I agree... Nobody owes anyone anything. And this is where the 'art' comes in. if you like someone's music, then that's cool. If you don't like it, then that's cool also.

There's more to it then just skill. Otherwise everyone who can guitar masturbate would be living in a mcMansioin. Same goes for the electronic side. Your production skills could be as sharp as a blade, but if your tunes suck, then maybe it's time try something else.

But if you an okay producer but has great material, well... you'll probably get somewhere...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I'd like to echo Robmobius - but in a different way.

If you do any art work to gain "appreciation", you will probably: a.) be very disappointed on a constant basis; and b.) not be doing the best art that you are capable of.

Many of us are amateurs. And that's not a perjorative. We do these things for the love of doing these things - that's the Latin root "amat".

I would commend to you the life and works of the American visual artist Joseph Cornell.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Cornell

I seen people buy a bunch of vengeance sample packs and then do mashups with the sounds in Ableton and get more hits than someone who took the time to actually write, perform or program their own stuff. It's kind of a travesty :shrug:

We are in a age of Fast-food music.
:borg:

What is really missing is a sense of quality, and using quality control when necessary. That is not acquired overnight.

Maybe you're not producing music anyone likes

V0RT3X wrote:I seen people buy a bunch of vengeance sample packs and then do mashups with the sounds in Ableton and get more hits than someone who took the time to actually write, perform or program their own stuff. It's kind of a travesty :shrug:

We are in a age of Fast-food music.
Perhaps part of being successful is just knowing the lowest common denominator?

ftech wrote: Perhaps part of being successful is just knowing the lowest common denominator?
Oasis.
:D
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

The age of hyperrealism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperreality

... hyperreality is an inability of consciousness to distinguish reality from a simulation of reality, especially in technologically advanced postmodern societies.

(popular) music today is largely a simulation of what went before it ... and FWIW it seems quite logical this would be the case. We have developed the technology required for as good as 100% perfect repetition (recording, video) and we all listen or watch on repeat.

Like that song? Play it again ... and again ... and again.

Is it any wonder people have started to act like machines, and copy instead of create?
... space is the place ...

Music is turning into content to be consumed rather than art to enjoy.

We are the guys making the toys to sell the happy meals.

tehlord wrote:Music is turning into content to be consumed rather than art to enjoy.

We are the guys making the toys to sell the happy meals.
'turning into' ???

Did you sleep through the previous 5 decades of the music industry or something? ;)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

sorry, redundant post, must have more coffee

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”