Any bands similar to Tool?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Like the title says, I'm looking for bands that have some basic similarities to the band Tool.

However, I'll be a bit specific in this thread, since I've already searched the web for this, and I was surpised by how people often suggested bands that sounded nowhere near Tool, or just suggested King Crimson (not what I'm after).
So please read this through, so I may get as good suggestions as possible
In conclusion, the bands were more kind of typical modern metal and I suppose they were suggested since they've maybe made a few tracks that could be similar to Tool, but in general they had a completely different style...

To get good suggestions, I'll start with pointing out what I like with Tool:
- They sometimes have some kind of progressive touch
- Their playful time signatures
- How the songwriting is so refined, like everyone is at their climax, for example you don't have that classic case where the guitars and vocals do all the cool stuff while the drums and bass just sit there supporting them.
- Their sound in the guitars, either that goth-touch like in the intro to Forty Six & 2, or the fat and full sound in the track Lateralus.
- Their drummer sounds so restless and constantly do all these small moves etc.
- The length of the tracks, I like that, and the very creative arrangement. As well as the dynamics between the intense and heavy parts, and the more calm parts.
- Their often dark and heavy sound.

Note:
- I'm already well aware of Keenan's other bands.
- I don't like rock where they scream all the time (if they scream it should be at le grand finale of the track).
- I know I often fall for american rockbands from the 90's and early 00's, I just like that typical sound.

To get even better responses, I'll highlight the tracks I like the most:
- Schism
- The Grudge
- Stinkfist
- Vicarious
- Pushit
- Eulogy

Thanks!

I love Tool - can't think of anyone exactly like them but that would probably be boring anyway. In a similar vein in some respects are The Mars Volta - great for alternating time sigs, lengthy and restless guitar and drum interplay (one of the best guitarists in any band/genre imho), the prog influence is definitely there, singing is different (no one like Keenan) but still great. Maybe not as dark but certainly intelligent and musical.

And you will know us by the trail of dead and At the drive in are also possibly in the same ballpark in some respects (I like them anyway and I like stuff like you described - but I also like King Crimson)

Very different vocally and much much darker and bleaker are This Heat - similar levels of alternating time sigs and experimentalism (actually even more advanced). One of my favourite bands ever.

Deftones can get quite Tool-like in some tracks - esp their earlier albums - great band anyway.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Porcupine Tree :love:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Chevelle is simular to Tool ....

Chevelle are one of the bands that were suggested everywhere, but they don't really sound like Tool to me. They just sound like another ordinary mainstream hardrock/metal band with a steady 4/4 signature and standard song lengths and arrangements.

I checked Porcupine Tree a few days ago, will get back to them later, but they sounded interesting, though they didn't have that dark sound that I love. :) But they still seem good.
I'm already a fan of Deftones, they're great! My favourite track with them is Poltergeist.

Yes Chevelle is kind of more Rock sounding . They kind if remind of Helmet and Fugazi a little bit .... You may like Fugazi ...

Have you listened to Karnivool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_E5ae9ZTwk

This is a little tool-ish to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Ry1pGvPTc

To state the obvious, A Perfect Circle - while it's not in the same field as Tool, the guitar work is amazing and the song/riff structure is often quite intricate.
It's more emotive and less technical-sounding than tool, but particularly on the second album it really came into it's own. First album is okay/good, but kind of patchy. Third album sucked.

I've heard Karnivool.
It's in the right direction, but it's still not close.

As I've stated, I'm already aware of Keenan's other bands.
I listened to APC before Tool. :) Love the track "Vanishing"
Yeah APC has great tracks, but the progression of the albums isn't that great, and yep third album sucked.

Hmm that's a tough one, I can't think of any that fit all those requirements without being a complete Tool ripoff, but you may like these bands:

Mastodon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sulY3bixDxI

Mike Patton + Dillinger Escape Plan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp8U6Mt_OG8

Hi!

I like Tool a lot too, and there is this band, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, that reminds me of them in some aspects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5iKAIC45b4

It is different, of course, absolutely not a copy, but they have a really fine songwriting, fun time signatures, etc etc. Just a totaly different band, and an excellent one. One of the best concert I ever saw (I don't say that every tuesday or so).

Have a good day!

chrome
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Maybe Primus?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”