Women in the music industry...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mmmm...there is also Ingrid Linn.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Astralv wrote:I think many overlooking obvious problems. When it comes to live performance, woman is weaker and needs a man to help her haul the gear. I, for example can not move my 88 keys hammer action Motif keyboard. I live in Virginia. Most bands here play metal and they are groups of guys. They do not let some chick to share the stage with them. Unless you are in country or singer-songwriter genres, it is difficult to get gigs. In fact- it is difficult to get gigs with electronic act, period.

Female musicians need more support to break through and we don't get this support. Women responsible for the children and household. My partner works in the theater as a sound engineer. He takes off every evening to the gig. I need a babysitter to come out. Also- babysitter can be arranged, I do not know why less women play keyboards. Many girls studying piano- more girls than boys. I studied piano growing up, and then I switched to the keyboards. This makes sense. I would think more girls would switch. Finances. Keyboards used to be very expensive. Now software synths changing it. But for 16 years old girl, it is hard to afford music studio. No future. Record companies do not sign female electronic musicians. Why? Who knows. Yes, it is true- my music is not that advanced, compared to some artists. But that is because I went to nursing schools year after year, because music was not paying bills. If I got signed a record deal and got support in 1999 when I released my first electronic album, I would be keep producing music, have more experience and more money. I was only able to release 4 albums because I was sharing my time between nursing schools and music production. This year- I produced only 2 songs. Check out my Soundcloud page in signature. I have no time to get good, as some guys who making money out of it, traveling and burning their lives at the night clubs and concert halls. I dont get that type of experience or excitement. My life is about raising my son, taking him to the piano and chorus rehearsals and hope that he will make it one day for me.
But is it really only a problem of women? How many men are working every day in non-music-related jobs, have to care about their families, too, and don't have time to produce albums? Maybe one in a million makes it big in the music industry (and can live from it), the rest is working in other - more or less boring - jobs without much studio time.

I always thought if I were a woman and if I would look at least a tad pretty, I had much more chances as an artist. Who wants to see a middle aged man, they're only boy groups around and teenage singers...

I dont think the question was about female performers. There are many. The question was about women in technology, and particularly in software synths development. The question was not vague- it was focused- may be more than intended. I know because as female musician involved with technology, I always wonder why there no girls on the forums or producing music. There actually few female producers- I met them on line. There are girls on computer forums but it usually counts 1 female to 100 males at least.

And then, if women have to decide between raising children and a career in the music biz, of course most of them go for raising children because they don't want to be accused from their own children later in their life not having cared for them at all. A MOTHER HAS TO care for her children, a man can part and look for another wive, that's how our society unfortunately is.

Astralv wrote:I dont think the question was about female performers. There are many. The question was about women in technology, and particularly in software synths development. The question was not vague- it was focused- may be more than intended. I know because as female musician involved with technology, I always wonder why there no girls on the forums or producing music. There actually few female producers- I met them on line. There are girls on computer forums but it usually counts 1 female to 100 males at least.
And why can't you accept that women in general are not attracted by technology? Why is it so difficult to accept?
Fernando (FMR)

Tricky-Loops wrote:And then, if women have to decide between raising children and a career in the music biz, of course most of them go for raising children because they don't want to be accused from their own children later in their life not having cared for them at all. A MOTHER HAS TO care for her children, a man can part and look for another wive, that's how our society unfortunately is.
Well, I don't know about you, but I, being a father, had to make choices, and sacrificed a lot for my children. I think life in music, nowadays, is very difficult, but none of the difficulties have to do with gender.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:And then, if women have to decide between raising children and a career in the music biz, of course most of them go for raising children because they don't want to be accused from their own children later in their life not having cared for them at all. A MOTHER HAS TO care for her children, a man can part and look for another wive, that's how our society unfortunately is.
Well, I don't know about you, but I, being a father, had to make choices, and sacrificed a lot for my children.
I don't wanted to say at all that all fathers should leave their children to make it big in the music biz :o - I just said that it's easier for a man to leave his children alone with their mother than for a woman because if a woman does it she will be called a "evil mother" ("Rabenmutter" in German)...

fmr wrote:I think life in music, nowadays, is very difficult, but none of the difficulties have to do with gender.
Well, if you're a woman you have to decide much earlier (means: before the menopause) if you want to have a big career or if you want to bear children. If you're a man, you can even raise children with 60...

The female biological clock is ticking much faster...

Astralv wrote:I dont think the question was about female performers. There are many. The question was about women in technology, and particularly in software synths development. The question was not vague- it was focused- may be more than intended. I know because as female musician involved with technology, I always wonder why there no girls on the forums or producing music. There actually few female producers- I met them on line. There are girls on computer forums but it usually counts 1 female to 100 males at least.
Astralv - tbh, I don't really wish to get further involved in this thread because, frankly, it's not going anywhere.

However, as a point of fact, the original post was about female performers (''Do you know any female musicians...?'') among others.
It was not specifically about women in software synth development (that was only one of the four roles offered in the OP).
And yes, the original post was too vague as a question concerning the whole music industry and one gender - where do we start to answer it?

For clarification, here is the OP again:
chalaby wrote:Are you a woman in the music industry? Do you know any female musicians, audio engineers, instrument designers, or software developers? Please share your thoughts and stories on your fellow female music & audio pros here. Respectful comments only, please...

Tricky-Loops wrote: it's easier for a man to leave his children alone with their mother than for a woman because if a woman does it she will be called a "evil mother" ("Rabenmutter" in German)...
Im glad i dont live in germany

Kriminal wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote: it's easier for a man to leave his children alone with their mother than for a woman because if a woman does it she will be called a "evil mother" ("Rabenmutter" in German)...
I knew that you would come in just to attack me again...you're worse than a great white shark...

Now let's make it clear: There are much more female lone parents than male lone parents, and this in all parts of the world, even in the UK. So there seems to be something wrong.

Tricky-Loops wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
I knew that you would come in just to attack me again...you're worse than a great white shark...

Now let's make it clear: There are much more female lone parents than male lone parents, and this in all parts of the world, even in the UK. So there seems to be something wrong.
One of the things wrong is the law that regulates parental rights and responsibilities after divorce, but that's changing. I don't think that fathers are less willing to take care of their children than mothers, but many times the divorce and consequential situations lead to that.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
Kriminal wrote:

One of the things wrong is the law that regulates parental rights and responsibilities after divorce, but that's changing. I don't think that fathers are less willing to take care of their children than mothers, but many times the divorce and consequential situations lead to that.
Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone :P

(BTW, I encountered some good fathers and bad mothers in my life, so it's not always the other way around...)

Well, the idea that women are not attracted to technology is as old as the hills.

I have known quite a few up here who are very much involved with various tech projects.

This whole thread could end up in HPC soon...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

If parents split and the child is younger than 2 years or so, the child should stay with the mother of course, unless there is some serious problem with her. I mean, how is a father going to breastfeed a toddler? 8)
Once the child is a couple of years old, shared custody is the best, but in my view the mom is always more important than the dad.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”