How to start.(dj)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone

I'm writing here (propably wrong section for that), to ask you how to start being dj. Let's say i have the equipment already (2 decks + mixer). The thing is i need to learn how to mix right. I have no idea what should i exactly do when i'm ending one track and starting to mix second. How should i use EQ in mixer and more...And the most important question. Which tracks do you guys recomend for me to learn how to dj? I like the most uplifting trance , but as i already can see , the tempo is to high for noob like me :P Anyone can help/give some advices?

Most of the DJs I know started by getting someone to take them under their wing and started at smaller parties then worked their way up to something bigger.

Doing it on your own is probably the much harder route, so get out there and start talking to people.

What has tempo got to do with it? Beat matching is a skill you can only learn by hands on experience. So far as what you should play ... every dj needs a good record collection.

The other thing that is worth considering once you have some skills is to see if you can open for someone else - even if the venue is pretty much empty - venue owners will care less if you screw up when there's almost no one there. That's what I did many years ago - they used to let me DJ for the first hour before anyone really turned up, as long as I didn't play anything that the main DJ was likely to play.

I have no idea what should i exactly do when i'm ending one track and starting to mix second.
Try to get consistent mix and not loose energy. This is the goal and it's up to you how to do this.

Better start with mixing in key to get anywhere. It is incredible how many DJs fail to do this, even if they are producers and what not.
I like the most uplifting trance , but as i already can see , the tempo is to high for noob like me
This is just nonsense. Especially since 95% of uplifting trance has either 140 or 138 BPM. You can learn by heart how to change tempo between the two... or just keep same tempo for many tracks.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”