Why I don't use iLok and other Horror Stories

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chaosWyrM wrote:why do people get so uppity when others say they dont like ilok/pace? its weird.

theres a whole thing going on in another thread where im getting bombarded on all sides because i had the nerve...the audacity...to say i wasnt buying something because it uses pace/ilok.
Because it gets said in every fuckin software thread that uses iLok.

So you don't like iLok... then move the f**k on... don't turn every thread into a "well I would buy it if it wasn't for iLok" BS.

99.9999% you're not going to change the dev's decision.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:why do people get so uppity when others say they dont like ilok/pace? its weird.

theres a whole thing going on in another thread where im getting bombarded on all sides because i had the nerve...the audacity...to say i wasnt buying something because it uses pace/ilok.
Because it gets said in every fuckin software thread that uses iLok.

So you don't like iLok... then move the f**k on... don't turn every thread into a "well I would buy it if it wasn't for iLok" BS.

99.9999% you're not going to change the dev's decision.
It's so true that the same old crap gets aired every time an ilokked plugin is mentioned.

This thread is specifically about that issue though, so we should all be able to say what we think in this one. On both sides, and people kinda sitting on the fence like me.

It has all been said a million times, and it'll get said a million more so we might as well get used to it.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

'That said, I think that as often as not, it's simply user error.'

In my case it was due to the lack of support from the companies I bought my products from. And they know. Which is good enough for me. After all: you win you lose. That's life by matters of acceptation.

You don't made a point in my case. You can't generalize a topic in relation to individual purchases. So 'often' doesn't count in this case IMHO.

Something works or it works not. Simple: I have installed many apps which ACTUALLY DID WORK AS BEEN PROMISED IN ADVANCE by the specific companies at their sites FYI. ALL of these apps I managed to install correctly AFTER I had purchased them. For decades.

That said it's a matter of responsibility. I took my responsibilities: I purchased an expensive app+iLok protection and it didn't work because the support center neglected, no.. EVEN tried to bagatellize, A FACT for THREE DAYS: that the license was NOT INSTALLED after I had followed ALL instructions involved CORRECTLY in the way as has been promised to me by both the involved companies AND iLok.

In other words: I paid my dues. That's all. No doubt about it from MY side. On my account that is. Whatsoever.

By the way: the involved companies did actually took their consequences afterwards, obviously (for I refused to get a refund; not MY game: I KNOW what I WANT, it's NONE of THEIR business), but not THEIR resonsibility. And I did not send any pics involved. Regard this one as a scoop to have fun with: be my guest :wink:

PS I even suggested to buy the app and iLok again after I calmed down: no response from the company's support center. Of course I have been ranting. Little wonder I assume. It's THEIR loss. As I do percieve it is a valuable experience where I can learn from. I don't sell apps I thought.

I wondered how long it would take for this thread to start looking like two monkeys flinging poop at each other. In the years of lurking here it was this kind of thing that put me off from taking the plunge and signing up.
Sweet child in time...

ghettosynth wrote:
And your assertion does not change my valid reasons for preferring dongles. I'm not sure who you're trying to convince here, nor of what, but if you want to convince me that I shouldn't like dongles you're going to have to do much better than what you're doing.
i didnt bother with the rest because here is the crux of the issue.

your assertions do not change my mind. who are you trying to convince? and of what? if you want to convince me that i should use dongles youre going to have to do much better than what youre doing.

see how that works? it doesnt work...at all.

your positive feelings about it have zero bearing on my negative feelings.

no one is trying to change your mind. and no one is trying to convince anyone of anything. have all the dongles and dubious software you want, but dont start being a condescending douchebag to other people because they express their feelings about not wanting to use them (im NOT saying that you personally have been a condescending douchebag).

if a company decides to use pace/ilok as their copy protection...then they have made pace/ilok an integral and necessary part of the plugin. it therefore becomes a valid point of discussion about that plugin.

it is both unfair and arrogant for some people to think that because something doesnt bother them that no one else should be allowed to discuss it.

if pace/ilok doesnt bother you...then just skip over those posts. making derogatory comments and outright insults to people because they talk about a (valid) subject is childish and just plain rude.

it is ultimately those people who derail the threads with thier anti-anti-ilok nonsense and insults. those people contribute zero to the discussion, and those posts have nothing at all to do with the topic at hand. pace/ilok discussion is perfectly reasonable in thread about software that uses it. if you dont want to talk about pace/ilok...simply skip to the next post, and let the people who do talk amongst themselves.
ImageImageImage

Both viewpoints are valid for the same reason.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

I have yet to witness in 13+ years of these discussions, one side convincing the other. Not gonna happen.
IBTL

bluedad wrote:I have yet to witness in 13+ years of these discussions, one side convincing the other. Not gonna happen.
IBTL
it has nothing to do with convincing people of things. just because i make statements about how i choose to not let that crap anywhere near my system, that does not mean i care if you do. i can say with full confidence...that i do not.

perhaps if all the anti anti ilok snobs finally got that through their collective skulls we could move on.
ImageImageImage

bluedad wrote:I have yet to witness in 13+ years of these discussions, one side convincing the other. Not gonna happen.
IBTL
In before someone realizes the rising level of irony...oh wait...that ain't gonna happen...
Sweet child in time...

I would love it if we could ditch the iLok discussions from product threads all together.
I just want to discuss the ACTUAL PRODUCT, not the virtues/pitfalls of each copy-protection, EVERY time. :roll:

Can we PLEASE consider adding a rule to KVR about not discussing the CP method merits in a product thread?

So many threads seem to get hijacked by this same BS these days. :(
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:I would love it if we could ditch the iLok discussions from product threads all together.
I just want to discuss the ACTUAL PRODUCT, not the virtues/pitfalls of each copy-protection, EVERY time. :roll:

Can we PLEASE consider adding a rule to KVR about not discussing the CP method merits in a product thread?

you've been here a little longer than me, do you really think that would help? I am on your side when it comes to being tired of these threads though. I do think it's reasonable to ask what the protection scheme is in a thread about a product, but you're right it always turns into this.

Here's the problem with adding a rule against it, the mods will be the ones to pay the price. They are already chasing spammers non-stop, they have to chase sock puppets, they are busy splitting threads to keep them on topic and they are baby sitting half the time. I have found the best thing to do is let em whine about it, no matter what dongle haters are gonna hate.

Meanwhile a thread like this? Well when a mod says IBTL like bluedad did that's a hint they already have their finger on the trigger so I doubt this one will last long.

+IBTL :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Ben H wrote: Can we PLEASE consider adding a rule to KVR about not discussing the CP method merits in a product thread?
But if you think about it a bit you will realize how stupid that would be.
No signature here!

IBTL
Good point. :) But isn't every thread like these about convincing others that dongles suck (or something else depending on the topic)? Why not lock them from the start then. :D As we all know they won't create anything good anyway.

chaosWyrM wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
And your assertion does not change my valid reasons for preferring dongles. I'm not sure who you're trying to convince here, nor of what, but if you want to convince me that I shouldn't like dongles you're going to have to do much better than what you're doing.
Again, I'm not trying to convince you of anything, per se. I simply stated that if you were trying to convince me of something, that you need a better argument. It wasn't clear what your goal was because you were rambling about things that I hadn't addressed. Now it's clear what your goal was, you are trying to get me to shut-up, which, is solid evidence that you think that I'm disrupting the rant, good, that's the point. You should realize that my point regarding the externalization of hardware, however, is true. That's not opinion, that's simply a recognition of the role that dongles play in the system. I have no concern whether that has value to you, it has value to many people as anyone who's ever had to manage more than a few systems will confirm.

My message is to developers, and to preemptively disrupt what will inevitably be a long chain of me-tos. It works every time, it has clearly worked here.
if pace/ilok doesnt bother you...then just skip over those posts. making derogatory comments and outright insults to people because they talk about a (valid) subject is childish and just plain rude.
Welcome to the real world. Here in the real world, when you start a discussion on a public forum, you expect to see opinion that is different than your own.
it is ultimately those people who derail the threads with thier anti-anti-ilok nonsense and insults.
those people contribute zero to the discussion, and those posts have nothing at all to do with the topic at hand. pace/ilok discussion is perfectly reasonable in thread about software that uses it. if you dont want to talk about pace/ilok...simply skip to the next post, and let the people who do talk amongst themselves.
But, clearly, I DO want to talk about pace/ilok, how valuable I find the approach, and how, if you're a developer and you want my support, i.e., my money, that I'm not at all concerned about such things, in fact, I much prefer it over C/R. Moreover, I clearly add value to the conversation, just because you don't either understand or appreciate my contributions, they are in no way diminished.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben H wrote:I would love it if we could ditch the iLok discussions from product threads all together.

Agreed, but let's not mince words here, this thread isn't a "product" thread, it's a thread started with the sole purpose of complaining about iLok.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”