mp3 sucks

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mementus wrote:What is a good format to use when importing to SC or YT?
Do you export a wav or else from your DAW?
Anything lossless, such as wav or flac. Soundcloud always encodes/transcodes to 128k MP3 (even if you give it 128k MP3 to start with). If you're on a data cap or for any other reason can't justify the bandwidth, go with any compressed format but mp3 (e.g. AAC, ogg) at the highest bitrate you can justify.

I don't think that MP3 will be the crucial point if a track will be hit or if people buy your music. It's good enough in most cases.

I would not use it for archiving or as a "master". If you rip a CD where you will keep the highest quality wav or flac is better. The same for the master file from which you make different versions for different platforms because of upload size restrictions etc.
Size is today also not the biggest problem if it comes to local storage.

With my knowledge about blind-listening tests, people with trained ears can hear a difference for music with a high dynamic range (mostly classical music). So for this type of music I would avoid MP3 and also other lossy formats like AAC.

mementus wrote:I can hear the difference btw mp3 and wav. (with in-ear only)
I can also hear that, in my op, SC sounds really bad and it is so strange that the most spread music platform sounds so bad.
Finally I make a reson. :shrug:

@elxsound Appreciated.
that means absolutely nothing. what was the kbps of the mp3? i mean anyone can tell the difference between crappy 96kbps mp3 and a wav file. the issue isnt with the mp3 format its with the quality of the format people choose to use.

and the problem with soundcloud was (is) related to the transcoding done by soundcloud...not by the bitrate of the streaming.
ImageImageImage

Yup, we all may come to a conlusion that everything sucks beacuse everything has its drawbacks. As it was said, the mp3 format is and will be the standard as long as either the ultra-super-fast broadband connections will be available all over the world or the servers capacity will enormously increase. Most likely both things must happen. Or someone will invent a better format.

By the way I know people who REALLY CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE between wav and mp3. They keep on listening to the music with #$^%*ing laptop speakers while having a hifi set in the same room. Deal with them! Actually they are the mp3 buyers!

The thing is that not everyone cares about the sound quality, not everyone spend thousands of bucks for studio monitors and hours comparing headsets in audio store. Also, not everyone can afford the quality for various reasons, not only money.
With great sound comes great power.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”