If you think somebody is trying to sell you cracked software

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have half a mind just to keep my mouth shut and continue on thru life all brain dead and oblivious to the world around me. I see it all the time but this one irritated me more than most.

First of all the guy has all kinds of cheap gear, NOTHING of real high quality, yet he wants to sell the Mercury Bundle. Thats a pretty dead give away right there, but that still really doesnt mean EVERYTHING and not really why i thought they were cracks tho.

He says "bring your computer along, the software is best installed here" lol im sorry but, i wanted to punch him in the mouth for that comment. Now im thinking something is up. Maybe he has a legit license and is trying to activate it on my computer without giving up the licence.

Im more pissed off that he *may be* trying to steal from the working man, more-so than i am about him using cracks, or stealing from Waves and whoever else. Thats not to say that i think its ok at all - its just a whole other can of worms.

So i guess what im wondering is
1)Hove you ever turned anybody in for cracks?
2)If i wanted to, whats the best way to approach it, to be sure im not wasting my time? (local police? FBI? Waves? )
There ya have it...

I'd definitely call the FBI

Tell waves and get them to confirm his license is legit.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Tell waves and get them to confirm his license is legit.
As Vort3x stated - go to Waves, then you can be a 100% sure.

I've never turned in anyone in for this type of thing. Because I know several guys who use a lot of cracked software. But I wouldn't turn them in because they are my friends (some are professionals). But I remember one of them laughing at me for saving up to buy Ozone advanced.

I'm one of those weird people that pays for everything. Sure, I'll grumble about price of course but if I want it I buy it.

Sorry back on track. :) Just contact the Waves guys and let them send in the lawyer pitbulls if they wish. Don't know about the US, but if you reported something like this to the Irish police they'd do fek all.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Sure, I'll grumble about price of course but if I want it I buy it.
Man i just typed a reply and it vanished..

Hey ive used cracks before, but not anymore....and i sure as hell never tried to sell them to anyone...for bloated prices at that (this guy wants $6700) I get SOO much more satisfaction and fun out of using software ive paid for.

I grumble about the prices too, but i love that i paid for it, just the same as if bought a new guitar amplifier. It makes using it more meaningful to me.
There ya have it...

V0RT3X wrote:Tell waves and get them to confirm his license is legit.
Well im having a hard time believing hell have anything remotely resembling. I'll need to see where his WUP is at and im a bit interested to see if he understands the process. Ill be talking to him shortly.

Its not soo much the Waves that im interested in, but he does have some other stuff that seems a lot more realistice. Reaktor for example $100. This is the thing that im most interested in, so i kinda feel like a worm even talking about the Waves stuff, but again, i think its one thing to use cracks, its a whole other to rip the working man off.

Your stealing TWICE at that point AND screwing someone else in the process.
There ya have it...

The worst thing he is doing is not to the Dev but to a maybe unsuspecting buyer who could potentially loose $6700 for a bit of useless cracked software junk he can not legally use(thinking they are getting legit software), I'm sure no-one will be daft enough to give him that amount of cash for it. He's a chancer - that is all. I would do nothing and ignore him - if it was Ebay I'd just report the listing(to get it removed), not because of the Dev loosing revenue, but because he could be stitching someone out of their hard earned cash. $6700 is alot of money for sweet FA. That said I don't think his quest will succeed...

Ultrasonic wrote:
Sure, I'll grumble about price of course but if I want it I buy it.
Man i just typed a reply and it vanished..

Hey ive used cracks before, but not anymore....and i sure as hell never tried to sell them to anyone...for bloated prices at that (this guy wants $6700) I get SOO much more satisfaction and fun out of using software ive paid for.

I grumble about the prices too, but i love that i paid for it, just the same as if bought a new guitar amplifier. It makes using it more meaningful to me.
Yeah, selling them on is ridiculous and pretty darn mean. :( Buyer beware and all...

I'm the same. If I buy something with my hard earned cash it has way more meaning as you said. Plus, I'm happy to give the devs the cash. It just makes them want to make more toys for me (us) to play with. :) And they've got families to feed.

Plus, the hassles of cracked software. No updates mostly buggy as hell. One of my mates was pissed off recently saying that he couldn't get a certain set of plugs to work. I told him to 'effing go and buy it then. He begrudgingly did, so and he's a pro! :help:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Ultrasonic wrote:2)If i wanted to, whats the best way to approach it, to be sure im not wasting my time? (local police? FBI? Waves? )
Report it to the dev, it is the copyright holder that need to take action.

If you don't own the rights to the merchandise yourself, there is nothing you can do to prevent it being shared on the web.

I have this fear that some software I've bought here is still activated on the seller's computer as well. Native instruments allows two PCs at any one time right? I guess I could just install on both my computers and see...

"The end user license agreement (EULA) for Native Instruments products allows the simultaneous installation on two computers (three computers for all versions of MASCHINE and KOMPLETE), as long as only one installation is used at any given time."

huh ? has OP and everyone else taken a leave of their senses ?

Dude says he wants to punch a guy in the mouth, and call the FBI, based on what ? Apparently selling the Mercury Bundle, because it's a high quality package, is reason enough to suspect he's selling a crack ? huh ? .... And he's only discounting it by a little more than 10% of the Waves price. Usually criminals selling stolen/illegal goods sell it for impossible-to-resist discounts. Not "hmm, if I'm patient I'll get it even cheaper during a sale" prices. By the same logic, anyone who sells a nice car is probably a car thief :roll:

Another thing that doesn't stack up ...OP emphasises that the seller's other items are 'NOTHING of real high quality' ... Right. Well, once again, a criminal who would be selling cracked software would be selling all the best premium shit for irresistable prices. And OP says he's selling Reaktor for $100 ... that's a reasonable price. I don't see what's fishy about it.

As far as wanting to 'punch him in the mouth' for having the cheek to suggest doing the transaction at his home... well if I was selling an item - software or hardware - worth $6,700 (used), it would certainly cross my mind to do the transaction at my house where I could rule out any funny business or fraud. So I could guarantee the transfer has taken place, the software is on the buyer's machine and running, and that I didn't get conned with a phoney paypal transaction or something.

And btw, anyone buying the Mercury Bundle is presumably pro or has aspirations to be so...$7,600 (new) isn't chump change, so an opportunity to save even just a little over 10% is usually seized upon by legit buyers. I know, because I've sold a premium protools bundle in the past and I only took a hit of about 20% vs the new price. Native software, with relatively accessible new prices (think $100 - $300), tend to demand bigger discounts on the used market because.. well, I can only speculate on the because, but I suspect it's because the margins are so small - people won't want to deal with a used license for the sake of saving $20.

I feel sorry for the seller if he's got to deal with OP, a guy thinking about assaulting him and reporting him to the FBI over some really whack-a-doo lack of logic.

Perhaps it's his own shady history with cracks that makes him suspect the seller is up to something.

food for thought.

What to do if some crackpot is going to report you to the FBI?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:What to do if some crackpot is going to report you to the FBI?
Make money: Sue them for slander and spreading of blasphemous rumors :D

:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”