Resale - accused of giving misinformation in the description...(UPDATE)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The buyer just responded to me today with a rather calm and level response, saying that the item functioned as it should so a return was not necessary. Do I feel great about this? Not really. But, on the bright side it's sold and I don't think I'll be receiving any sort of feedback...at all.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW
So I finally sold my Traktor Kontroller S4 after being on the fence about doing so or not.

I sold it through eBay, and I have often used ebay as my store front for a second-hand business (that isn't as successful or "full stocked" as often as one would hope). In fact, I'm just over 50 sales. The problem here, is that the ebay feedback system is really important, since I have so few sales, each piece of feedback given is a crucial part of my history as a seller.
So that brings me to my recent transaction where I sold Traktor. Before shipping I had cleaned the unit itself thoroughly - trying to make it look as least "second hand" as possible. During this time, the only major notable flaw was that one of the knobs was a little beat up - I had already made sure on my ebay description I had made note of the defect. (I should also mention I am neither a smoker nor did I leave the unit - when not in use - where the cats could get to it)

Well today, I got contacted by the customer informing the device does work, however, it smelled of cat piss, cigarettes, and was scratched up. I have no way of really proving that he is lying, but he believes I intentionally gave him a false description of the unit. Fortunately he doesn't sound like he wants a refund, but at the same time, I feel like if I don't do something to make up for it I will get a negative review. I'm not really sure how to proceed. :?

Anyone have any advice?
Last edited by ntom on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yeah I'm always paranoid of selling stuff on eBay just in case something like that happens. I'm glad that he doesn't want a refund at least. The worst thing is he could do is demand a refund, send you a different unit, AND give you bad feedback.

Most of the time they just want to be shown respect, though. I'd just offer a general apology and make it obvious that you are understanding of his complaints. Whatever you do, don't accuse him of lying as it will accomplish nothing but make him mad and unfortunately as a seller you have almost no recourse besides just NOT leaving feedback. I really hate the way eBay changed their feedback policy.

I'd be open to any suggestions he has as long as they're reasonable.

If there's no reason for it to smell of such things, don't apologize for such things. He might use that as a case to get a refund from eBay. eBay is a swindler's dream... for customers. eBay sides with customers even when said customers are at fault.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Lol, they just play on your insecurity. My 2c.
Such statements probably reveal the future status of your sold equipment.

Ebay feedback works both ways. If the unit was in proper order and the description was really accurate then you can comment on any negative feedback you get. Also you can give negative feedback to the buyer saying that he is a liar.

Also if he is not happy with the unit then ask him to send it promptly back. End of story.
No signature here!

Tell him that you are terribly sorry that the item is not to his satisfaction and ask him to send it back, offering to refund his postage, and the purchase price.

He almost certainly won't. He's likely angling for you to give him a partial refund. If he does, you'll just have to take the hit on the postage.

If he declines to and then leaves you negative feedback, reply to it and explain that the you bent over backwards to help him, asked him to send it back, offered a refund, and he declined. Be polite and don't accuse him of anything.

People reading that will know that it was an attempted scam; as this behaviour is unfortunately common on eBay and recognisable to other experienced users.

Jace-BeOS wrote:If there's no reason for it to smell of such things, don't apologize for such things. He might use that as a case to get a refund from eBay. eBay is a swindler's dream... for customers. eBay sides with customers even when said customers are at fault.
+1

Tell him you will give him a full refund if he returns it, nothing else. After all, who want something that smells that bad :wink:

I had cleaned the unit itself thoroughly
What did you clean it with?

Is it possible there was some sort of chemical reaction?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:
I had cleaned the unit itself thoroughly
What did you clean it with?

Is it possible there was some sort of chemical reaction?
possibly, though I didn't use anything odd. I used some all-purpose clorox wipes and a soft cloth intended for cleaning glasses.

I think you need to tell your cat that you're not ok with this lock-picking, smoking and unhygienic behaviour he's been up to lately.

This is a good example why ebay sellers would be wise to record a short video of the item for sale, and upload it to a Youtube account specifically made for showcasing such items. Document that the item is working (power 'on' then cycle through some options....) and in good condition (so use good lighting in your room), etc...
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:This is a good example why ebay sellers would be wise to record a short video of the item for sale, and upload it to a Youtube account specifically made for showcasing such items. Document that the item is working (power 'on' then cycle through some options....) and in good condition (so use good lighting in your room), etc...
I did that all in the past but my crazy buyer said i damaged the unit afterwards (because "i was angry about the low final price he had to pay"). Forget it. In my case (after a few mails i gave up) i said to him: write whatever you want and i will answer that you are lying. And really? Nobody gave a sh*t for this one negative rating.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

So did you take this up with ebay? You had video evidence. Then, the buyer's reasoning just revealed sheer stupidity which ebay would have seen through. No?
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:So did you take this up with ebay? You had video evidence. Then, the buyer's reasoning just revealed sheer stupidity which ebay would have seen through. No?
The fact is that eBay and PayPal simply don't give a damn. If there isn't conclusive proof that you shipped a perfectly working item, there's nothing the seller can do. It's a buyer's world on eBay/PayPal. They will overwhelmingly side with the buyer in most cases.

Considering that eBay keeps 10% and if Paypal is involved there is that fee as well, do folks generally live in areas where CL and other such options are just not available?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”