Tone is a LIE

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOwfLWKfSuY

Oh goody .... just what I needed to see. What if he is right?

We guitarists may have been chasing a chimera.... :dog: :help:

What do you guys think?

Are we chasing wild geese?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Tone does exist, but like colour it's unstable. How a tone or colour is perceived is affected by the colours/tones (or lack of) around it and on top of that people perceive them in different ways.

In that video the Strat recorded on the laptop still sounds shitty when everything else comes in (to me anyway), even though the tone fits into the piece of music quite well.

In the example that sounds "small and strident " instead of God like and epic, it's the other musical parts giving the perception of epicness. The guitar part doesn't change ,but since that is what most peoples attention is on they think that's what the epic vibe is coming from. It's kind of like an aural illusion, where your brain detects "epicness" from the background and assigns it to the thing in the foreground your focusing on.

This guy for some reason thinks he needs to make a statement that is radical, dramatic, absolute. His statement probably doesn't even reflect what he really thinks. I'd say it's obvious that you should try to make your guitar sound good, but adjust to muscical context and not be obsessive. But apparently that kind of statement isn't considered appropriate for youtube, where millions of wannabe oracles desperately try to get your attention.

Precisely.

He does have another video talking of tone as truth as well.

Setting up a "dialectic" so to speak.
Barry

Tone is over-rated. :band2:

Tone is like God, or Infinite Knowledge. You can chase it, but never find it, just a cruddy, 3D-coloured, room or headphone coloured, individually shaped mind and ear-coloured approximation of it. Just get the sounds to how you want them, then test them on other people and different systems and hope for the best, the tweak and iterate.

Over time, I've preferred sounds which are a bit disorienting but can be played at high volume without pain. There's nothing worse than blasting your track only to cringe because the high-hats in that breakbeat or the rez on that synth is tearing your eardrums asunder. I've been doing a lot of research on getting breakbeats to sound very big and textured without irritating the ear when played loud, and I call that chasing good tone. The same thing applies to all sounds, though. It starts with choosing good and appropriate instruments, virtual or otherwise, and carries on through mixing and mastering.

The whole "expensive instruments have better tone" thing is obviously a lie. Advertising.

Sometimes, though, there's a time and place for auditory sadism, for making things that just sound borderline painful. I'd say use it sparingly. In fact, I have plans for a noisecore sideproject called "Half a Direction" where I just go all out on the nasty.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Tone2 is the TRUTH. :ud:

It's like saying every color labeled as "red" is the same.

I smell bovine excrement here.
Sweet child in time...

I just went to their site.

Kriminal wrote:Image
Hah!!!! :lol:
Barry

Deep Purple wrote:It's like saying every color labeled as "red" is the same.

I smell bovine excrement here.
Well, I think it is a funny way to start any video 'discussion' that is for sure. He does have another video on "tone as truth" which does a number on the other video...very strange. :?
Barry

I always end up making rhythm guitars sound way too bright and only realise it once I'm playing it together with the drum track.

well here's what I have to say on the subject
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I guess reading this thread obviates needing to see the actual video. Thanks, guys. :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”