naming choons in the absence of lyrics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote:
Sometimes I name them after samples in the song in an obvious or not-so-obvious way.

Sometimes the stupid, almost random names I use when saving the experimental beginnings of a track or a loop wind up inspiring or outright becoming the final track name.
hehe...i do both of those too. :D
ImageImageImage

Naming can be troublesome. I get around including a name generator when I make a patch in Kontakt, then when I use it, I get a name automatically. Example. The names are mostly comic, but then, so are my noises.

If it hasn't got lyrics, it isn't a song, it's a tune. There you go. Problem solved. :)

ImageImageImage

garryknight wrote:If it hasn't got lyrics, it isn't a song, it's a tune. There you go. Problem solved. :)
NOW the problem is solved :P

Tunes need names too, unless you are classical composer or pretentious experimentalist, then you can call tunes numbers.

If it's an instrumental, I name mine based on what cinematic scene they might go with, or I try to characterize their mood and tone with something tangible. Often, things I am preoccupied with will come forward as I let phrases bubble in my head. For example, I have a lot of end of the world feelings and lack of control over life in my titles ("forestalling the inevitable decline", "vacant lot", "bioslave" being three example instrumentals). I try to push my stuff toward being more political and less about me me me, but I certainly have a lot of self focus in my older work and don't see myself totally escaping that. My instrumental stuff doesn't have to clearly be about me, since there are no "me" or "I" lyrics, so I can easily save them from that fate and focus on the film soundtrack notion.

It's about what I want to communicate and what I think I am already communicating. If a piece of music doesn't communicate anything at all, I might name it based on the sounds and the process. Like "a minute conquest" was more about getting somewhere with Reason, and with my lack of accomplishing music creation, rather than anything deep or cinematic :-D
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

elassi wrote:But I try to polish it later by replacing with better/more interesting words or a neologism if possible (I LOVE neologisms).
I do too. I have a note document on my phone that is nothing but potential song titles. Many of them are neologisms and twists on common phrases that I'd like to see turned on their heads. Like "the village genius" and "love conquers null". In fact, my art identity name "dysamoria" was invented for that very same list (the notion that some people have a disability wherein it's impossible for others to love them... a societal disability rather than an individual one).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

PS: I've not actually used any of the rest of those titles, so it's not really helping me create music, hah hah...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

PPS: maybe "the village genius" should be "the village savant" :-D
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Some random aspects to the titles of certain instrumentals from the past:

1. Sometimes instrumental works might have been given a name after the fact to more easily identify them from a larger bunch. For example, the Moonlight Sonata is one of 32 Beethoven wrote and while some of us enjoy the majority of them some folks might like to know that a recital is going to include one of the few they like without having to remember all the Opus numbers.

2. Sometimes instrumental works have been given a name at some point for 'promotional' reasons. There are no doubt many lovers of pure music who can get into it without some reference to cultural, spiritual or other associations but it might help to get others to support the work when some clever title has been attached to it.

3. Some instrumentals, certain Duke Ellington works come to mind, were originally given a name and when they appeared to have potential as songs some poor soul(s) had to write lyrics that fit the arbitrarily chosen title that by then had become too popular to be changed.

Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

haha

this came out as a band name suggestion :

Shark Friday Commotion Above Graphite Between Rodeo Clowns

but maybe it's the track listing to my next album :wink:

Shark
Friday Commotion
Above
Graphite
Between
Rodeo Clowns

rp314 wrote:3. Some instrumentals, certain Duke Ellington works come to mind, were originally given a name and when they appeared to have potential as songs some poor soul(s) had to write lyrics that fit the arbitrarily chosen title that by then had become too popular to be changed.
:D

Jace-BeOS wrote: "dysamoria" - the notion that some people have a disability wherein it's impossible for others to love them
:(

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”