Do you RTFM?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If it's a fairly complex product, then yes I'll print the manual out for a physical copy. I have a few manuals that I have printed out and put in their own binder.

I find it far more easier to flip through the physical pages versus opening a .PDF while in a session.
:borg:

Nah live dangerous, never RTFM...use your grey matter and work it out..hahahaha

ariston wrote:Sometimes. Usually to discover some finer points or to make things clearer if they're convoluted (Symptohm preset saving, OMFG).

Some manuals are actually fun to read, like Aalto!
Yes, I'm right there with you. I've been doing this long enough to be able to figure out most things straight off... unless they're poorly designed. For instance, I've never done more than watch some tutorials for Omnisphere because it's just so plainly and logically laid out to me. Of course, if I butt up against something I understand, a quick trip to the manual as a reference guide is always a good idea.

Other things, like (the yet to be purchased) Obscurium, look daunting and novel enough in their approach that I'm sure I will crack open the manual and at least skim though it when I buy it. However, I'll always spend some time just messing about with something, hardware or software, because I find this type of experimentation to be really useful. Then, if I have to hit the manual, I feel like it's reinforcing something I had already started learning.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Yes.

I WTFM I WTFT I..produced TFSCV and yet I go through this same thing every fricking day.
I've written over 130 Help files chocked full of how to's "Getting started" Beginning Editing , intermediate editing. Trouble shooting.

And yet.... Everyday I to handle support calls from people who want their hand held by official support time and time again through the same process. Of which I'll link to the information and then they come back and say they don't understand and I have to explain the exact same thing the exact same way. Oddly I'm somewhat thankful. I get paid by the support call. The more support calls I answer the more money I make.

If I had my way I'd subcontract and charge users to ask me the same things they always do because they want their hands held. Sure I'll do a custom video for you....Pay now.

Oddy this is the way it works in the Graphics Field as well. No one wants to ask a question in a forum so they buy E-Books instead.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

(insert smiley here)

The problem with manuals is they don't usually get to the point, and they leave stuff out.

Ever try use the manuals search just to come up empty handed? You are not alone. Great resource sometimes, but not the answer all the time.

What's better anyway, a PDF manual or a YouTube video manual? I'm considering not writing manuals anymore, just making videos that explain everything, all of it, mostly when it's so visual that having it in video form really helps.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

every line_looking for errors

How about using popup hints, if you can turn them on and off? It's info that is closer to the action, so to speak. I don't think a video or manual can be sufficient when there's lots of options to play with. And when you read about the frenetic or finagled approach for some of the process... A lot is left up to the user, which is what they mean when they use the word 'freedom'.
Last edited by trewq on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yep thats what its for
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

A_SN wrote:I'm considering not writing manuals anymore, just making videos that explain everything, all of it
Michel, your SplineEQ manual has an amazing amount of technical detail packed into only 3 clearly-written pages. I read each sentence slowly while looking at the screen. Your description of the SplineEQ Preset text format is also very user-friendly. If you do a video, IMHO it should explain what the manual cannot, such as workflow (or unique features as in your Macupdate video). A similar complementary approach with Spiral would be useful.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:
A_SN wrote:I'm considering not writing manuals anymore, just making videos that explain everything, all of it
Michel, your SplineEQ manual has an amazing amount of technical detail packed into only 3 clearly-written pages. I read each sentence slowly while looking at the screen. Your description of the SplineEQ Preset text format is also very user-friendly. If you do a video, IMHO it should explain what the manual cannot, such as workflow (or unique features as in your Macupdate video). A similar complementary approach with Spiral would be useful.
Good to hear that, thanks :). Okay maybe I can do both, it does take more work though. There is indeed a lot that is better shown than described, mostly with Spiral, which is why I'm focusing on videos first (whereas I still haven't made my own SplineEQ video yet).

A_SN wrote:
Michael L wrote:
Good to hear that, thanks :). Okay maybe I can do both, it does take more work though. There is indeed a lot that is better shown than described, mostly with Spiral, which is why I'm focusing on videos first (whereas I still haven't made my own SplineEQ video yet).
IME a well-written manual is great for serving as a reference (what is this feature, why is it set up that way, where can I find such-and-such), while a linear video is better for showing how to do specific things. I don't see that changing unless/until people add metadata indexing to videos referencing keywords in the timeline.

I start reading them (the f**king manuals), then they give me an idea, then hours go by and I have a new noise or song idea. Then some fascism swoops in and demands I give bits of my life to it, I refuse, and end up incarcerated.

Winstontaneous wrote:IME a well-written manual is great for serving as a reference (what is this feature, why is it set up that way, where can I find such-and-such), while a linear video is better for showing how to do specific things. I don't see that changing unless/until people add metadata indexing to videos referencing keywords in the timeline.
Yeah I was thinking if a video covers a lot of ground you can have a YouTube description with a sort of table of contents with clickable timecodes.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”