Your best purchase of 2015

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

chk071 wrote:
werp wrote:
chk071 wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:Yes, this is definitely cool. Are you gents completely electric-independent?
Scotty wrote:That is a big install. I have 10.5 killowatt install comprised of 42 Sharp panels. You must have a lot of south facing roof space. Cool to see this on a KVR post!

werp wrote:actually my best purchase was 15 kilowatts of solar panels on the roof. I more or less make horrible noises for free....
It's pretty easy to answer that question yourself. Does the sun shine in the night (or rather when it's dark)? (Hint: The solar panels produce nothing at all then) Also, when the weather is cloudy, solar panels only produce about 1/10 to 1/20 of their nominal capacity. And only in absolute optimal conditions (sun shining vertically on the panels), they get NEARLY their nominal capacity, for half an hour a day or so. There are many small cities which claim they're independent here in germany because of solar and wind power. My suggestion would be to cut them from the net, and see if they're really independent, of course noone would do that, because then everyone would see how extremely inefficient and unreliable the facilities are. And how much they cost, and how much (fossile) energy ressources were spent to manufacture them in proportion to what they deliver.
The micro inverter panels that I had installed are set up in parallel rather than in series. Parallel installations don't suffer the same losses due to shade that series installations do...the inverters also convert DC current to AC therefore avoiding any possible overheating of wiring passing through roof spaces etc. On the day of installation, the system generated 76 kilowatts of power..Bear in mind that the installation of 60 panels plus connection to the house circuitry took most of the day...
76 killowatts doesn't make sense, if then, it should be 76 killowatt hours. And excuse me, but that figure seems pretty utopic. You should have gauges (if that's the correct word) to measure not only the amount of killowatt hours you import into the electricity net, and also a display about what the installment produces atm.

Our neighbour has an installment of 7 killowatt on his roof, amidttedly a bit older than yours. the maximum amount of power, at optimal conditions is about 5-6 killowatt, IF the sun shines, there's no clouds or anything, and it shines vertically on the panels. If it's cloudy, it produces about 1/10 of that, which would be enough to power one or two desktop computers. At other times than at peak times, in the summer, when the sun shines vertically on the panels, there's already a lot of loss too. And when it's dark, there is nothing, nada. Considering that's a 20.000 € installment (of course, 50% of that subsidized), and there's also the need of other installments, like a converter, which cost a couple of thousands too afaik, the installment, without being susidized will surely not be cost efficient in its lifespan (and of course took a lot of fossile energies to manufacture). Apart from that, like with all of the subsidized, and hyped renewable energies (not talking about water power here, which actually is efficient), it takes a lot of compensaion power plants, to do the basic requirements of electrical energy, which in my case in germany comes from coal and gas plants, which are neither climate neutral, nor very clean by default. Wind and solar can only do peaks, they can't do the basic requirements, because they're completely unreliable.

Btw, the farmer i often pass by to buy something also has a sonar panel installment. Most of the times, the energy produced is about 1/10 of its nominal capacity. Which would be in your case about 1,5 killowatt, which would be almost enough to run a washing machine.
You're correct about the kilowatt hours part. It's 2016 where I am and I'm tired. Of course the system doesn't generate anything at night. I'm also aware that certain parts of the planet work better for solar than others..I live in one of those places. The panels installed here degrade with time...they will be approximately 17% less efficient than they currently are, after 25 years. I can monitor the output of each panel via my home network and identify any individual panel should it develop an issue. I'm intelligent enough to realize that the materials the system is made of doesn't grow on trees. In several years time, we hope to install a power wall when the pricing becomes attainable. Until then, any KW/H that we don't use is fed into the electricity grid and consumed by other users, obtaining a reduction in the amount of coal burnt. What I do with my own money is my own business and should be no concern of yours.
Happy new year etc.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

This year was a really hard year to me. Running low on money the entire year, so not much space for G.A.S. was possible.

My only gift to myself was Arturia V-Collection Classics in the last days. And a friend of mine gave me Zebra, that will keep me busy for a long time :)

Live 9 Suite for me.

best purchase in 2015? an amiga 1200 with accelerator card. now i can build my timemachine and fly back to 1994 to compose awesome .mod music in pro tracker :)

werp wrote:
chk071 wrote: You're correct about the kilowatt hours part. It's 2016 where I am and I'm tired. Of course the system doesn't generate anything at night. I'm also aware that certain parts of the planet work better for solar than others..I live in one of those places. The panels installed here degrade with time...they will be approximately 17% less efficient than they currently are, after 25 years. I can monitor the output of each panel via my home network and identify any individual panel should it develop an issue. I'm intelligent enough to realize that the materials the system is made of doesn't grow on trees. In several years time, we hope to install a power wall when the pricing becomes attainable. Until then, any KW/H that we don't use is fed into the electricity grid and consumed by other users, obtaining a reduction in the amount of coal burnt. What I do with my own money is my own business and should be no concern of yours.
Happy new year etc.
Ah, yeah, i see now you're from australia. It's winter here atm, and also generally germany shouldn't be the best part of the world for photovoltaics. And sorry for the "utopic" part, calculating it through, it can well be that you had such a figure on a good day in that regard. Anyway, hope i didn't sound too negative, it's just that i observe the figures for germany sometimes, and i always shake my head about the amount of installation, and the actual harvest, especially considering that it's being subsidized so much, which obviously comes from the tax pot.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your installment, and a happy new year to you too.

UVI's Falcon.

KEv

UVI's Falcon with Bohemian Violin!

Also enjoying EXHALE by output and Reactor 6 was a great update.

Other than that, I think 2015 was pretty dull (I think Serum was actually 2014...) and I wont buy another VA synth, I have way to many and I think its done....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

My top three purchases of 2015 ...
  • * Ableton Live 9.5
    * Cubase Pro 8.5 upgrade
    * u-he Diva
Bitwig Certified Trainer

And in by the scruff of the neck, SoundToys 5 8)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I'm adding one more, Bliss.

Finally a simple sampler that doesn't krash my PC like Kontakt does constantly. Besides its overkill for loading a simple kick drum or vocal sample.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:I'm adding one more,
You are cheating :hihi: So am I ;)

From the best synths I bought in addition to Blofeld are Bazille and Dune 2.5.

Bazille amazed me with everything really. A digital modular synth using Phase Distortion and FM syntheses! Of course it can be as normal VA but this is not it's strength. I love the genius design of the step sequencer.

Another monster synth is Dune. I bought it already with the latest update and I didn't expect it to be that great! The 3 kinds of syntheses, the 8 layers, modulation, filters and effects, all those make it my first synth to insert.

Happy New Year :)

Bx stereomaker
FabFilter Pro-MB

Both bought this month :P

added: also bought ValhallaVintageVerb and Klanghelm MJUC this year, both GREAT plugins! :clap:

Very few purchases this year in the music area. Reaktor 6 mostly.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Reaktor 6, Obscurium, Roland JD-Xi, Behringer VM-1 Time Machine

Hope to use them more next year.
Happy New Year by the way

Obscurium, fun fun fun.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”