Are my hands tiny, my guitar huge or both?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm following a basic video on youtube that walks you through playing the g major scale on guitar.

The video shows fingers 1/2/3/4 showing which fret to hit.
https://youtu.be/vKsfpQY8beE?t=2m50s
When I place my middle finger, 2, on the first string G, the guy on the video then shows his little finger, 4th, hitting the A on the first string with almost no movement of his hand.

However, when I try to do this, my 4th little finger simple does not reach. Even manually stretching it up with my other hand is very difficult. It simply springs back.

What is going on here? I have a normal electric guitar from my knowledge. My hands are relatively large as well (7.5 inch from wrist to middle finger).

Notice how his knuckles run parallel with the neck? If you have more space from your little finger than you do your index finger, youll have less reach.

This could explain it, but i dont know your guitar, hands, or technique, just a shot in the dark.

Good luck.

<insert donald trump hand joke here>

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

That's a known issue. Even for a "normal" hand in the upper freds a lot of stretching is needed.

Just practice.

Or (as last solution) try a 3/4 (children) guitar. :)

Finger stretch exercises are a must for a beginner... well for guitar, piano (hello, Hanon!), and just about any instrument requiring finger dexterity. I'm an occassional hack on guitar, not even a frequent hack, but I've used this exercise (or something very similar):

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-101-F ... ercise.php

Basically you start with fingers on 4 adjacent frets, go up/down the strings, then you do combos of finger stretches beyond the 4 frets... eg pinky extends up one fret. The different stretch combos is really good too as part of finger independence exercise... eg instead of linear fret pattern try different pattern like 2/5/1/3 or whatever. Speaking of which there are similar independence exercises where you do hammers with different finger combos.

The human hand is designed to work effectively as one unit... and the first thing you need to do to play guitar or piano is to undo millions of years of evolution. :)

Also look up other warmup techniques like physically stretching your forearm muscles, stretching your wrist, relaxing your arms/hands, proper angles and positioning etc... doing those boring non musical things can actually help you get there faster, not to mention avoid injuring yourself long term by using bad technique on cold muscles and ligaments.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”